OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If you ar

e using a VPN, can they tell who is using one? By the way, I am talking about my phone and not my work computer.

Oh yeah I can totally use my phone, it's just not quite the same. A little more conspicuous too. Idk, it is what it is at this point. I'll still check in on lunch breaks and stuff, but yeah, otherwise relegated to nights and weekends.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I am guessing the software architecture and some other generational issues arose. Happens to just about every type of computerized system.

I like the new mobile site. The old one had functionality issues and, again, generational issues.

I love the new way of embedding media. A spectacular change for the way better!

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Did anyone catch the alderwoman (forgot her name already) on 101.1 yesterday with Randy Karaker at around 4:00? She introduced a new bill pay for the Scottrade Center upgrades (additional surcharge on Blues tickets/event tickets). Right off the bat, the hosts asked her why they're introducing a new bill when the Board already approved funding. The explanation was baffling - she said they didn't have all the information to make an economically sound decision when the Board voted - more specifically, they didn't have a copy of the STC lease with the City! She said they couldn't procure one from City Hall or the Blues; she did, however, recognize that this was the Board's fault for voting on it without having the lease in hand. She also insinuated that the Blues weren't forthright in explaining the terms of the lease. Apparently the Board was under the assumption that it was the City's responsibility to pay for the upgrades under the lease.

The hosts were equally as baffled as to: 1) how the Board couldn't get their hands on a lease; 2) how/why the Board voted on the funding without the lease in hand; and 3) why should other companies who might want to do business in St. Louis (Amazon, for instance) trust what the Board/City does now? Of course, the alderwoman had good arguments for why the funding should be procured in a different manner - the City is broke, they'll need to slash funding elsewhere to pay for it, etc.

It was just a bizarre conversation. The alderwoman was aware of this, so I commend her for going on the show - in her defense, she voted against the bill in the first place. But wow, this is just supreme incompetency by the Board.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Did anyone catch the alderwoman (forgot her name already) on 101.1 yesterday with Randy Karaker at around 4:00? She introduced a new bill pay for the Scottrade Center upgrades (additional surcharge on Blues tickets/event tickets). Right off the bat, the hosts asked her why they're introducing a new bill when the Board already approved funding. The explanation was baffling - she said they didn't have all the information to make an economically sound decision when the Board voted - more specifically, they didn't have a copy of the STC lease with the City! She said they couldn't procure one from City Hall or the Blues; she did, however, recognize that this was the Board's fault for voting on it without having the lease in hand. She also insinuated that the Blues weren't forthright in explaining the terms of the lease. Apparently the Board was under the assumption that it was the City's responsibility to pay for the upgrades under the lease.

The hosts were equally as baffled as to: 1) how the Board couldn't get their hands on a lease; 2) how/why the Board voted on the funding without the lease in hand; and 3) why should other companies who might want to do business in St. Louis (Amazon, for instance) trust what the Board/City does now? Of course, the alderwoman had good arguments for why the funding should be procured in a different manner - the City is broke, they'll need to slash funding elsewhere to pay for it, etc.

It was just a bizarre conversation. The alderwoman was aware of this, so I commend her for going on the show - in her defense, she voted against the bill in the first place. But wow, this is just supreme incompetency by the Board.

Yeah it was a weird interview, clearly the city is ran by a bunch of idiots. How could vote on a issue without knowing anything about the lease. But I will admit she brought up a good point and one I always argue with people every time something like this comes up. The city should not have to have pay the bills for these nice venues we all love here in St Louis when 90% of the people using said venues drive in from the county. I have always been in favor of the county paying a tax for the Zoo for example, I live outside the city and my Family loves the zoo, we go 3-4 times a year. Since it is free I make sure we purchase the Zoo membership so I can support it someway. I think people buying the tickets for Blues/Concerts/College sports should have to chip in a fee to help pay for upkeep. The Blues are currently collecting $3.50 per a ticket for it, I would like to see what they are spending that on, maybe they use that to preform upkeep, but if they are not and just pocketing that fee then the alderwoman is correct and that should be given to the upkeep. Interested where this goes. All that being said I am sick the city bending over backwards for anything the Cardinals owners want and then holding the Blues feet to the fire, it has been happening for my whole life.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks for sharing! The first thing I thought was " I am not surprised". This is how so many situations happen with the board.

As for spreading around the entertainment tax, it is too logical to happen in St. Louis.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Yeah it was a weird interview, clearly the city is ran by a bunch of idiots. How could vote on a issue without knowing anything about the lease. But I will admit she brought up a good point and one I always argue with people every time something like this comes up. The city should not have to have pay the bills for these nice venues we all love here in St Louis when 90% of the people using said venues drive in from the county. I have always been in favor of the county paying a tax for the Zoo for example, I live outside the city and my Family loves the zoo, we go 3-4 times a year. Since it is free I make sure we purchase the Zoo membership so I can support it someway. I think people buying the tickets for Blues/Concerts/College sports should have to chip in a fee to help pay for upkeep. The Blues are currently collecting $3.50 per a ticket for it, I would like to see what they are spending that on, maybe they use that to preform upkeep, but if they are not and just pocketing that fee then the alderwoman is correct and that should be given to the upkeep. Interested where this goes. All that being said I am sick the city bending over backwards for anything the Cardinals owners want and then holding the Blues feet to the fire, it has been happening for my whole life.

I agree with the venue using a surcharge in some form to pay for SOME of the improvements, but when you are in the business of owning a public use building and expect to have no financial obligation to keep it maintained or keep it competitive you are delusional.

As far as the breakdown of attendees, my point has always been that if 90% of the people attending events at the facility are from St. Louis County, why is it located in the City in the first place? The City obviously felt at some point in time that it had something to gain from the economic impact of keeping a facility for the team and other events in the city limits, but now when it is time to buck up and pay to maintain their investment they want to cry poor.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree with the venue using a surcharge in some form to pay for SOME of the improvements, but when you are in the business of owning a public use building and expect to have no financial obligation to keep it maintained or keep it competitive you are delusional.

As far as the breakdown of attendees, my point has always been that if 90% of the people attending events at the facility are from St. Louis County, why is it located in the City in the first place? The City obviously felt at some point in time that it had something to gain from the economic impact of keeping a facility for the team and other events in the city limits, but now when it is time to buck up and pay to maintain their investment they want to cry poor.
Why is there even a city versus county discussion? That's the real problem. A united region competes against other regions. A divided region competes against itself. Guess which category STL falls into.

The us versus them mentality within a MSA is pathetic.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Why is there even a city versus county discussion? That's the real problem. A united region competes against other regions. A divided region competes against itself. Guess which category STL falls into.

The us versus them mentality within a MSA is pathetic.

In my mind, this is a discussion for 25-50 years ago, maybe longer. The city proper has be so incredibly mismanaged from every economic development metric imaginable that you would now be asking the taxpayers of St. Louis County to bail them out. The time for this discussion came and went many, many years ago when the two were on reasonably comparable footing. The County was growing at that time while the City was contracting, and a "merger of equals" (if I can borrow a business term) would have made sense. Rightly so, the city had no interest in annexing an un-developed county 50-75 years ago, and I see no fiscal reason for the County to be interested in doing so today. The City liabilities that the County taxpayers would be taking on far outweigh any reasonable assets it would acquire.

Now, you can certainly make an altruistic argument that the county agreeing to merge with the city would support the "greater good" for the region, but when one side needs a relationship 100 times more than the other, these things never end well. St. Louis County would exist just fine without any cooperation and support from the citizens or government of St. Louis City. I do not believe the same holds true of the city and it's need for the economic support of visitors and workforce from the County. As a County taxpayer, I have no desire to see my property and sales taxes increase as part of a City-County merger so that I can support the mismanaged pensions and economic graft of years and years of cronyism woven into the fabric of St. Louis City government. The portion of my taxes that already support such activity in my own county are enough, thanks.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Until you get rid of the 90 something municipalities spread across this metro area and reduce it to Kansas City sizes, this area, and especially the city, will continue it's downturn. County doesn't want to help the city. City complains

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Until you get rid of the 90 something municipalities spread across this metro area and reduce it to Kansas City sizes, this area, and especially the city, will continue it's downturn. County doesn't want to help the city. City complains

Well said. It is a shame they have continued to be an independent city. When the suburban expansion occurred, many could see the writing on the walls that the City would no doubt be effected. Yet too many buried their hands in the sand. While it’s sucks for the citizens of the city, I cannot help but see the irony. The city didn’t want some of their taxes to go to the county and now they want some of the taxes from the county.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I really don't understand and why people think the county is some great place while the city is inferior. The city drives a lot of the jobs. It has most of the cultural and entertainment resources. People from outside STL aren't thinking of STL Co when they think of STL, unless it is Ferguson that the have on their mind. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the county.

Most people living in the region don't see how poor the area is as a whole. The economy is terrible. It was one of the slowest to rebound after the recession. That level of resiliency is abysmal.

The region has experienced massive brain drain despite having two fantastic universities and a few good ones. The reason some talented people are returning or moving to the area for the first time is the innovation district in (you guessed it) the city. Still brain drain has plagued the region.

How about population? St. Louis County is loosing population. The city actually saw a slight gain last census, but it was far behind a lot of other cities. This doesn't bode well for anyone.

But, the STL metro area continues to do what keeps it from thriving. It starts with all of the finger pointing. It continues with the inferiority complex of the city and the superiority complex of the county. But hey, finger pointing is much better than actually trying to make your region better.

When I lived there I could never understand the desire to trash each other. In living in other cities, people have pride towards their city. Why is STL so opposed to unifying for anything other than sports? And by sports, I mean the Cardinals.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I've lost faith in rockstar. They completely abandoned Gta5 single player in favor of the cash cow that was online.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis is so screwed up.

Identity crisis. Are we northerners as we like to think? Are we southerners as the Confederate flags and slave culture indicates? Are we mid-westerners as indicated by geography?

Slaves.....blue blood settlers.....former slaves.......contemptuous white people.......on and on.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad