GDT: Blues @ Canes: Battle Of The Cross Conference Twins

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
By the way Jordan Staal is playing a lot better than what he was pre injury. I've been critical of him but I'm going hungry to eat some crow. Rod too as coach. Keep proving me wrong!

He's playing the same game, but the offense is there. I think he's a dude that has a tendency to think too much when he has the puck. With the whole team rolling like it is, he's just letting his instincts take over. I think there are a lot of guys that fit that description on this team right now actually. Faulk and Turbo too. And even TVR, at this time last year I was hiding my eyes whenever the puck was on his stick.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Also although I was watching in spurts it looked like Hayden Flurey had a great night. I've been critical of him also.

Is crow best grilled or smoked?

He's no CDH, but he can hold his own. Not a ton of upside to his game but you can count on him to not **** up and make a couple decent plays a night. I gotta think, on most teams he would be in their lineup nightly.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Okay, all in favor of Evander Holyfield getting a roster spot say "Aye"

Seriously though, that was ****ing awesome. Even if you're not a boxing fan everyone knows who Holyfield is. That is ****ing genius marketing to include him in the surge. That is how you win new fans, even some who don't watch hockey will see this and say "damn that's awesome".

Could he just, like, sit on the bench every game or something? Honorary coach or something? That would be fantastic

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's no CDH, but he can hold his own. Not a ton of upside to his game but you can count on him to not **** up and make a couple decent plays a night. I gotta think, on most teams he would be in their lineup nightly.
He's probably never going to provide the offense to be a top 4 guy but he could stay around in the league for a long time as a solid bottom pairing guy. It might not be with us since we're just loaded on defense.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Few months ago we have something like bottom 5 PK in the league. As of now, we are 9th best team in the league.

Some guys step up big time in last two month: TVR has been incredible, McGinn is underrated even though he's not gifted offensively, Hamilton rebound nicely... and Faulk, man, he's legit force. Teravainen is my pick for most underrated player in the league. The kid is so smart, so smooth.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Few months ago we have something like bottom 5 PK in the league. As of now, we are 9th best team in the league.

Some guys step up big time in last two month: TVR has been incredible, McGinn is underrated even though he's not gifted offensively, Hamilton rebound nicely... and Faulk, man, he's legit force. Teravainen is my pick for most underrated player in the league. The kid is so smart, so smooth.

That reminds me, I was critical of TvR too. This crow gonna be good.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That reminds me, I was critical of TvR too. This crow gonna be good.
Same. Earlier this season, I was thinking he was kind of an expendable d-man we could get rid of for a mid round pick and not even really notice too much. But he has just been playing such a steady, reliable game. While he doesn't make any plays to wow you, you don't really seem him make plays that make you go WTF like some of our d-men can do from time to time. So while you don't get the same upside as our better d-men from him, you don't get the downsides either.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Recap: Hurricanes Storm Past Blues

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
With the champ in the house, the Hurricanes played like they were champs.
The Hurricanes went toe-to-toe with and bested a Blues team that was 13-1-1 in last 15.
"We learned we can play a tight game, as well. They're a big, strong team that plays a tight game and doesn't give up much. We played the same style. Two good teams playing tough minutes each time you're out there," Staal said. "We found a way to get the win."
The Canes earned this one, and the team is now 20-6-1 in its last 27 games.
"It was a good battle. Both teams, you kind of knew what was coming," Brind'Amour said.
"They're a great team right now firing on all cylinders, and I think we are too."
Off an offensive zone faceoff win from Nino Niederreiter, Brett Pesce dished the puck to Justin Williams at the top of the left circle, and he one-timed in his 18th goal of the season.
"He keeps [scoring big goals]. The momentum went back the other way, and then right away [we answer]," Brind'Amour said. "He just finds a way."
Staal gave the Hurricanes some much-needed insurance in the third period with a beauty of a release and a top-shelf snipe. Staal has recorded a goal and four assists in three games.
"That's the offensive part of his game that's there," Brind'Amour said. "It's nice to have him back, for sure. It's a comfort for a coach to have that body in the lineup, and he's played great."
The Hurricanes head back to South Florida to take on the Panthers on Saturday night.
"There's a nice buzz in the room. Guys are feeling confident and feeling good. That's what you want this time of year," Staal said.
Recap: Hurricanes Storm Past Blues

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad