Proposal: Blues badly need a number 1 LHD.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
So Ekholm isnt likely bc it is within the division but Chychrun makes sense even though its the same division....
Yes that's the general rule, but perhaps Bill Armstrong would make himself a foolhardy exception (due to Chychrun being the cornerstone for their defense) to that in division rule, given the way he is singlemindedly stockpiling 2022 1st round picks ....

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You are already paying top line money to Krug, so unless you are moving him, you aren't getting any other #1 LD, unless STL has a different cap than everyone else. No team is paying 6.5 for a "2nd pair defender" as is being suggested he is, which I don't fully agree with.

Reactions: Reality Czech

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
You are already paying top line money to Krug, so unless you are moving him, you aren't getting any other #1 LD, unless STL has a different cap than everyone else. No team is paying 6.5 for a "2nd pair defender" as is being suggested he is, which I don't fully agree with.
Yes it is true, they will obviously have to shed that Krug contract as soon as Perunovich is established. If you are paying 6.5M you cannot have to shelter such a player, that is a lunatic way to build a team. I do not imagine that will be very easy. Extraordinarily self-inflicted wound by Armstrong so zero sympathy.

But in terms of your short term analysis that is most likely 7.5M worth of wrong, because Tarasenko thus far does look like he will show enough productivity to be movable somewhere into the season and we know the Blues do not want to retain. That would enable the Blues capwise to rent one of these players if the deal were there.

Reactions: TK 421

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Oilers trade you Klefbom for a first rounder
Is Klefbom no longer likely career ended due to injury?
I didn't get that memo....

Doubt the Rangers will move him anytime soon, also doubt he will develop into a top pair player, but Zac Jones looks to be a quality LHD that can play 2nd pair minutes right now and grow further. Probably will top out as a high end 2nd pair guy though. Numbers game pushes him down.
Jones is now clearly Fox lite
We believe he will proove to look more and more like Fox over the next year +.
He is available but the cost is signif
Time to grab was past off season
Price still high but reachable
Had eye opening good pre season

Jones plays a Krug like style though.
I can see the Blues having interest in Robertson/Miller/Lindgren
They’d be more the type
Lindgren despite being the smallest, is the most physical.
Miller had solid Rookie campaign and Robertson still needs a year year n half in hartford
Agree w/all of this, except that while Robertson could use the year, I think he could cut it w/right partner if he had to.

Blues gotta live w/Krug, or pay broker's fee to move him and repurpose cap.

===========================

Lindgren is very reasonable, 3 yrs.
Need a reason to go there.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
What would it take to get Anaheim interested in moving Lindholm?
Speaking as a fan who hasn't really thought about it...(and is also generally bad on trade value gauging)

1st (which would be pretty low I'd imagine), blue chip (preferably a goalscoring prospect), cap dump.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Speaking as a fan who hasn't really thought about it...(and is also generally bad on trade value gauging)

1st (which would be pretty low I'd imagine), blue chip (preferably a goalscoring prospect), cap dump.
You're asking for something like 1st + Klim Kostin + Marco Scandella, it sounds like. Blues would have to believe Lindholm would extend with them. I do not believe the Blues would trade both a 1st and Bolduc/Neighbors, but Kostin makes his real debut this season so we will all find out what kind of value this really represents.

Reactions: Arthuros

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
You're asking for something like 1st + Klim Kostin + Marco Scandella, it sounds like. Blues would have to believe Lindholm would extend with them. I do not believe the Blues would trade both a 1st and Bolduc/Neighbors, but Kostin makes his real debut this season so we will all find out what kind of value this really represents.

All assuming Lindholm resigns, of course.

Neighbours would have been a nice piece, but I think that would be a return that Lindholm would only have realistically warranted if he had a perfect track record in terms of health (which he doesn't have, although his injuries haven't been recurring in the same places).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What would it take to get Anaheim interested in moving Lindholm?

Mostly I think it would take contract talks coming to an impasse, ie Lindholm demanding far than a team would reasonably pay due to preferring to test the market. If he's keen to stay for fair market value (seems to love the SoCal life and has had extended family move over to join him), the Ducks have all the cap space in the world to make it happen.

If they can't seem to get a contract hammered out, the Ducks need to figure out which interested team has a the most valuable blue chip prospect to hone in on. Depth is no issue, out of the precious few top assets the Ducks have to potentially move, if any of them are actually dealt, 100% have to focus on quality over quantity. Have to get a young player who is expected to step in and star along side Zegras and co within short order, allow for extension talks + whatever else needed to facilitate.

I'd use the Mark Stone trade as a template, obviously you hope the prospect pans out better than Brannstrom has to date but someone roughly as highly touted as he was at the time, as the centerpiece.

Reactions: Arthuros and TK 421

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Once Ekholm (check) and Lindholm are off the market, the UFA-trade market goes to zilch. Army will have to get creative, or extremely lucky. Maybe Perunivuch becomes a LHD-version of Makar, and Army is bailed out like he was with Binnington.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Between Parayko, Faulk and Krug, the Blues seem to have made their decision and spent their money on defense. No one is coming in over the top of those three.

I get that fan interest doesn't always align with the moves of the team... but is this really something that people think the Blues' braintrust is seeking to do? Retaining Tarasenko and bringing in Buchnevich and Saad, it looks to me like they've spent their money.

Couldn't you make a case that what the Blues need is a #3 or #4 to round out the top four? They could use someone who comes in around the $2.5M to $4M range. That kind of player is much easier to find and dislodge from another club.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Between Parayko, Faulk and Krug, the Blues seem to have made their decision and spent their money on defense. No one is coming in over the top of those three.

I get that fan interest doesn't always align with the moves of the team... but is this really something that people think the Blues' braintrust is seeking to do? Retaining Tarasenko and bringing in Buchnevich and Saad, it looks to me like they've spent their money.

Couldn't you make a case that what the Blues need is a #3 or #4 to round out the top four? They could use someone who comes in around the $2.5M to $4M range. That kind of player is much easier to find and dislodge from another club.

We already have that in Scandella.
We need somebody better.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

The premise of your post is that something will not happen, so therefore it can not happen and moreover is pointless to discuss. Thanks for stopping by, that's really valuable.

Is there a league rule that says if the Blues trade Tarasenko, his 7.5M cap dollars could not be spent on a fourth expensive defenseman? They have to spend it on a forward? This changes everything, who passed that rule?!?!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
OEL has, so far without playing a regular season game for us yet (T-minus 1 hour and 20 minutes), come as advertised. What will you pay?

I'd say Hughes, but he's likely way out of the desired price range, but shoot your shot, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad