Half-Assed GDT: Blues at the President's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah man Holtby would have scored at least a hat trick. When you win with a shutout it really doesn't matter who was in the net on the other side. One of those shots would have beat Holtby as well and 1 is all it would have taken. That being said you're right and we shouldn't get to cocky and team can have a good night or a bad night, one games means nothing.

That is simply not true. A goalie's play can change the entire dynamic of the game including his team's offense. Holtby doesn't have to score a hat trick to have an impact on the GF.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Well that's a pretty glass half-empty take for someone who is such an "optimist" :laugh:

Haha I am more of a realist, but got labeled an "unabashed homer" and a "blind optimist" by another member of this forum when I thought the Blues would bounce back after a bad loss earlier this year. ;)

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Most beautiful Blues thing ever.
Shut out Washington, Vancouver twice and San Jose and allow 13 goals vs Edmonton and Calgary.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Want to make main board thread, just for the village burning joke (though really we're freezing out villages).

Far too superstitious to do it.

Ha, I made the Elliott thread after 2 shutouts...he had another after that thread, so no jinx yet!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You'd be okay losing Bouwmeester and Shattenkirk?

I'm really going to have to disagree with that one. One of them sure, but not both. I like a lot of those guys but that's one injury away to Pietrangelo or Parayko from being a complete mess and getting dominated out there.

I get what your saying but Boumeester would be a pretty big snag for an expansion team, he's not a throw away, I wasn't trying to say that but we're only allowed to lose 1 player.

It will change he dynamic of our defense, but to me, our defense got way too passive and now we're watching these guys punish the other team and they enjoy it.

Already report you. Flame, troill !!!

Ok...what am I missing here?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Best time of the season to be peaking.

Did you enjoy it. Now coming the downfall. You know it, I know it and everybody knows it. Just hold on.
It's like some horror roller coaster where you just try to hang on and you already know at the end you get f up.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I mentioned this before but it's possible the Blues expose Boumeester to the expansion draft. Lindbohm may not excell at much but him and Edmundson just add some nastiness to the defense, along with Bortuzzo.

I'm probably in the minority but I would be fine going into next year with

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson Parayko
Lindbohm Bortuzzo

There won't be an expansion draft between the end of this season and before 2016-17. The earliest that could possibly happen is just before the 2017-18 season. But, yes, I'd also expose Bouwmeester in any expansion draft. That may be the only way to get rid of him, and keep Shattenkirk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There won't be an expansion draft between the end of this season and before 2016-17. The earliest that could possibly happen is just before the 2017-18 season. But, yes, I'd also expose Bouwmeester in any expansion draft. That may be the only way to get rid of him, and keep Shattenkirk.
Ah ok, I can't keep track of when it would be with so many different people posting.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Game would have been very different with Holtby in net. Let's enjoy this win, but take it with a grain of salt and not get too cocky.

Solid team effort all around. Good to see Lindbohm play well. Parayko plus 4 for the night in addition to his end-to-end goal...lol just ridiculous how good that kid is
Or it could have been 4+ to nothing... I've seen him **** the bed too

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Oshie right now
giphy.gif

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Parayko was +4 for the game.

Ed had second most TOI among all players, excluding goalies.

Ed has been a wrecking ball lately, I find it slightly hilarious that Pie plays so much better with a weaker Left Defender (Not saying Ed is weak, but he is not a 1st pairing D, maybe not even a 2nd pairing).

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Or it could have been 4+ to nothing... I've seen him **** the bed too

I suppose you're right. Although, something tells me Holtby wouldn't have given up the rebound that led to Brodziak's first goal which would have changed the entire game. He probably would have stopped Parayko's goal also which should have been saved by Grubauer.

Big Ed is the answer. New dream pairings for the playoffs:

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Shattenkirk
Gunnarsson Parayko

Pick yo poison.

Love those pairings. How long have people on this forum been calling for Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester to be broked up? Haha Ed looks great with AP so far, crazy he had second more TOI of anyone not a goalie :amazed:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Also gotta give props to Backes. He's playing inspiring hockey and hasn't looked this composed with the puck since he, Oshie and Steen were setting the world on fire middle of last year. Stastny line deserves the love they're getting but he's been a quiet catalyst during this surge.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Ed has been a wrecking ball lately, I find it slightly hilarious that Pie plays so much better with a weaker Left Defender (Not saying Ed is weak, but he is not a 1st pairing D, maybe not even a 2nd pairing).

I wouldn't say weaker LD is what the difference is, I'd say more a more physical LD like you stated. With Petro/JBo, a forward can skate in knowing that they aren't going to get wrecked driving to a dirty areas or along the half boards. Thus, they can get more creative or hold onto the puck longer. With Eddy back there, they have to be aware that he will lay the pain on them if they give him the opportunity. As a result, players aren't coming in the same way into the o-zone and that little extra tentativeness give Petro a big edge in getting the puck and getting it out of the zone.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Stastny(43) is only 4 points out of being 2nd on the team in points. Next year when He's on a line with Fabbri and Steen he'll get even more.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I wouldn't say weaker LD is what the difference is, I'd say more a more physical LD like you stated. With Petro/JBo, a forward can skate in knowing that they aren't going to get wrecked driving to a dirty areas or along the half boards. Thus, they can get more creative or hold onto the puck longer. With Eddy back there, they have to be aware that he will lay the pain on them if they give him the opportunity. As a result, players aren't coming in the same way into the o-zone and that little extra tentativeness give Petro a big edge in getting the puck and getting it out of the zone.

I admit, I probably could have used a word better than "weaker" I just couldn't think of one.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Also gotta give props to Backes. He's playing inspiring hockey and hasn't looked this composed with the puck since he, Oshie and Steen were setting the world on fire middle of last year. Stastny line deserves the love they're getting but he's been a quiet catalyst during this surge.
This hasn't gone unnoticed. He has been a leader out there for a change. It could give some credence to him coasting through the early part of the season and ratcheting up his play down the stretch.

This team jus pisses me off. It was so easy to pick on players and the team's play. They are doing it to us again..... we all know how this story ends :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad