Half-Assed GDT: Blues at Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don’t hate him, he’s a perfectly mediocre goalie who gets paid far too much, but he’s played the puck f***ing terrible tonight and the most recent poor display led to the dagger goal. Pretty fair to criticize.

Not wrong to criticize the specific play. But in general Binnington was our best player by a large margin, which doesn’t say a lot given how poor of an effort it was by all but about 3 skaters. He stopped (loose recollection) probably around 3 breakaways, and made 3 or 4 more pretty high level saves. I don’t think you could’ve thrown Vasilevski in net and expected the Leafs to have less than 3 goals tonight.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The middle 6 of this team is extremely frustrating to watch. Very inconsistent and at most times downright nonexistent.

I get that the top line is being paid to be the top line and when they don’t show up it’s amplified. But I fail to see what benefit (aside from Neighbors who always seems to be in the mix) most of those guys bring on a nightly basis.

I’m not sure we should be qualifying any player as a 2nd line player on this roster aside from Kyrou. Buch and Thomas are excluded from this.

I get this comes with the route we chose to take last year and I largely agree with it. But man I wouldn’t let the last stretch of games push us from selling if we have the chance.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Pretty poor showing from the team following a really good weekend. Very few crisp passes, tons of reaching for contested pucks rather than moving their feet, poor decision making with the puck, and overall just a very lifeless group outside of finishing checks.

Similar to the effort on the last game before All-Star. On that, I can at least understand the human nature of taking your foot off the gas at work right before vacation. It happens in every industry and every team in the league sees the occasional night like that. But you can't have that effort 3 games into the post all-star push when you are sitting right on the playoff bubble.

I thought Toronto played a good, patient, simple game for a team missing their #1 D and two of their best four forwards. But they did not play anything close to the caliber of game that an NHL team should have been limited to 15 shots. That outcome was much more on our effort than Toronto's IMO.

This was the type of game that makes it really easy for a GM to tell the current group "you haven't given me a reason not to sell at deadline."

For the first 6 weeks under Bannister, this team did a great job of making Army's deadline decision hard. They went 13-6-1 over a really tough schedule. They beat a bunch of genuinely good teams in the process (Dallas x 2, Florida, Vancouver x2, Carolina, Rangers are all still top 10 teams). But the last 4 games have seen 2 horrible efforts and a 2-2 record against a very soft schedule (3 teams in the bottom 8 and the 13th place Leafs team missing 3 key guys).

Pretty big 2 games coming up. Edmonton stumbled out of the break, but just put up 5 3rd period goals on the Wings to win 8-4. And after that we get a Nashville team that is right below us in the standings. We're still a little over 3 weeks from deadline, but this next week might be decision time for Army after that effort.

Reactions: BadgersandBlues

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This was our best shot to beat a very good Leafs team...lots of their top players were out.

Our top players were on ice but didn't show up.

Missed opportunity

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This was our best shot to beat a very good Leafs team...lots of their top players were out.

Our top players were on ice but didn't show up.

Missed opportunity
Worth noting that a regulation win would have given us the same amount of points as them. They have a game in hand on us, but we each would have had 60 points. I'm fine calling the Leafs a good team, but definitely not a very good team. Basically every offseason move they made this year has been a complete disaster and they might be the shallowest team in hockey.

But yes, it was a huge missed opportunity because their top players are their entire team this year.

You know how we complain about our lack of secondary scoring? We have 7 guys with 10+ goals and two more guys who have 9. They have 5 guys with 10+ goals and one guy sitting on 9.

Matthews, Marner, and Nylander have 50% of the team's goals this season. Our top 3 have 35% of ours. Add Tavares and their top 4 guys have scored 58% of their goals this season. Our top 4 is at 46%.

They have never been more reliant on their big 4 forwards and Rielly than they are right now. We caught them without 3 of the 5 and couldn't even keep the game all that interesting. Massive blown opportunity.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues give up a bad goal with only 26 seconds left in the period.

And wouldn't you know it, The Blues hit one into the net, but it was a half second after the 1st Period ending whistle!!! :mad:

Reactions: BlueOil

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues get a power play, and Kyrou, right in front, knocks in Neighbours' rebound!!! Blues lead 4-2!!! Seems like Neighbours and his net-front presence is almost always involved when The Blues score. :vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Reactions: BlueOil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad