Half-Assed GDT: blues at flames: easy canada trip start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tarasenko is effective on the left side also, just not at the point. He's ok when cycling there but not much of a "point guy". Tarasenko usually floats between the 2 circles looking for that signature top of the circle laser beam. Schwartz looks his best in tight on the net...ala Parise

But why we don't see that?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The Blues have done a good job of moving Tarasenko around on the PP. The PK for the other team can't just key on him so easily. But it sometimes means that Tarasenko has the puck behind the net or at the point as he moves around. I actually really like the set-up as it allows more creativity and has been reasonably effective if you look at the statistics. I think it would be foolish to always put Tarasenko out there in the same spot, even if its his best place, because the PK could be geared to neutralize it much more easily.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
But why we don't see that?

I guess trying to keep the PP from being static and predictable. Last night I wouldn't even say it was a system failure...boys just sucked. Idk what Schwartz was doing on that 1st give away or Shattenkirk for that brutal brutal pinch. Those guys are much smarter then that. These guys need to always go north with the puck when they feel they may lose possession

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The Blues have done a good job of moving Tarasenko around on the PP. The PK for the other team can't just key on him so easily. But it sometimes means that Tarasenko has the puck behind the net or at the point as he moves around. I actually really like the set-up as it allows more creativity and has been reasonably effective if you look at the statistics. I think it would be foolish to always put Tarasenko out there in the same spot, even if its his best place, because the PK could be geared to neutralize it much more easily.
It's amazing how Washington uses a static Ovechkin set up and there's little you can do. I wish we set up like that with Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk sits on the right circle
Steen and Pietrangelo on their off sides at the point
Brouwer net front and low slot
Stastny on right the half wall.

That leaves Schwartz, Lehtera, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Backes, Berglund for the 2nd PP with Parayko running it. Slide Fabbri back on the point or double shift Steen. Boumeester and Gunnarsson could be option too

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i missed the game last night but heard the officiating was again (surprise surprise) horrendous. kerber was going nuts on them on twitter. can anyone explain what happened?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
i missed the game last night but heard the officiating was again (surprise surprise) horrendous. kerber was going nuts on them on twitter. can anyone explain what happened?

It was over 2 goalie interference calls. One Allen was slightly nudged by a flames player outside of the crease...Allen looked like he sold it more then anything... 50/50 call

The other one was where Backes was crosschecked into Ortio and Pietrangelo skated around the net and shot it into the open side, the problem with this one is that Backes looked like he was taken out by a grass knoll sniper and laid lifeless on Ortio longer then you'd expect. Slow motion made it look bad, I didn't watch the replay in real time but the Ref was right there and saw it all.

2 50/50 calls imo.... nothing to get all worked up over especially when you let that dumpster fire team score 7 damn goals....I would have called against the Blues just on principle

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It was over 2 goalie interference calls. One Allen was slightly nudged by a flames player outside of the crease...Allen looked like he sold it more then anything... 50/50 call

The other one was where Backes was crosschecked into Ortio and Pietrangelo skated around the net and shot it into the open side, the problem with this one is that Backes looked like he was taken out by a grass knoll sniper and laid lifeless on Ortio longer then you'd expect. Slow motion made it look bad, I didn't watch the replay in real time but the Ref was right there and saw it all.

2 50/50 calls imo.... nothing to get all worked up over especially when you let that dumpster fire team score 7 damn goals....I would have called against the Blues just on principle
I couldn't really quibble with either call, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd called off the goal on Allen. But once it was called one way, it wasn't going to be overturned.

The Blues had plenty of chances to win. They got a free goal when the puck hit the ref (Stastny goal).

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I couldn't really quibble with either call, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd called off the goal on Allen. But once it was called one way, it wasn't going to be overturned.

The Blues had plenty of chances to win. They got a free goal when the puck hit the ref (Stastny goal).

You don't think the Flames got a COUPLE of free goals? Lol

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The play on Allen wasn't even close to being goalie interference. It was a dumb challenge because it was clearly a good goal. Allen was not interfered with, he flopped. He was barely touched.

The refs were fine last night. In a couple other games they've been brutal but I really don't understand what the hell Hitchcock and Kerber are complaining about.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
You don't think the Flames got a COUPLE of free goals? Lol

I think the non-call on the interference was a close call either way, but it looked outside the crease to me.

The Flames got an easy goal on that weird bounce off the glass. The Blues have had a goal like that this year, too. Its nobody's fault, just happens.

But I don't think either of those plays decided the game. Not as much as giving up the breakaway shorthanders did.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Allen flopped, it was a good goal by the Flames.

The Backes one sucked, but he should have at least attempted to try and get off Ortio. He just laid there on top of him.

I don't think the refs were to blame at all, the Blues simply underestimated their opponent and got burned for it, rightfully so.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The play on Allen wasn't even close to being goalie interference. It was a dumb challenge because it was clearly a good goal. Allen was not interfered with, he flopped. He was barely touched.

The refs were fine last night. In a couple other games they've been brutal but I really don't understand what the hell Hitchcock and Kerber are complaining about.

I agree that it shouldn't have been goalie interference, but there have been a lot of goals overturned this year where the goalie flopped. I would have challenged it 'just in case', but I certainly wasn't upset that it winded up counting. I could see Allen getting warned for diving after that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I agree that it shouldn't have been goalie interference, but there have been a lot of goals overturned this year where the goalie flopped. I would have challenged it 'just in case', but I certainly wasn't upset that it winded up counting. I could see Allen getting warned for diving after that.
I don't remember if Allen made a big deal about it or not to draw the ire of the zebras. I can see him losing his balance going right to left then back right without being set and having someone's fat ass in his face.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Allen flopped, it was a good goal by the Flames.

The Backes one sucked, but he should have at least attempted to try and get off Ortio. He just laid there on top of him.

I don't think the refs were to blame at all, the Blues simply underestimated their opponent and got burned for it, rightfully so.

This is the best I could find, but I think that it shows that Wideman not only crosschecked him, but then used his stick and leg to hold him down. https://youtu.be/qkSlIvFXt5A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad