Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Buch does so much for this team, im shocked we didnt get more offers for him. I think Vancouver shoulda bought him over Lindholm. He woulda helped that team all over the ice, and gave them two playoff runs. I woulda taken the Lindholm package plus D Pettersson, and another B tier prospect. I think both teams woulda benefitted from that swap. Obviously woulda nabbed Willander, but i truly believed those that preached he was unavailable.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Buch does so much for this team, im shocked we didnt get more offers for him.
Has anyone mentioned what offers we got? I don't recall seeing anything.

I don't think the question was "is anyone interested in Buchnevich." I think it all had to do with what conditions were attached to a trade. Teams might have wanted retention for this year and next. The price for that may have been higher than what teams were willing to pay. The overall ask from Armstrong may have been too rich for teams. Teams may have wanted to unload a contract Armstrong didn't want. Buch may not have been willing to waive his NTC for an interested team. All kinds of things could have been in play.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't really keep track of who is pro or anti- Kyrou but I know I've got at least one of his biggest haters on ignore. But I'm not basing my opinion on anything besides what I'm seeing in games. When him and Thomas signed those big contracts, we needed them to step up and lead the team. I think everyone can see that Thomas has raised his game this year. He's winning a lot of puck battles, making great plays every night and has established himself as a star.

From what I can see, Kyrou hasn't taken a similar step forward. Has his play away from the puck improved? Sure, to an extent. Most young players need time to become good 200-foot players and Kyrou is getting there. But I won't give him that much credit for hustling to get back, block shots and try to break up plays on defense because every player should do that whether they are a first or fourth line player. So while it is good that he's improved his defensive play, I don't think it makes up for the drop in offense when you consider he's now an $8 million player.

I can see some similarities with Tarasenko, although I never questioned Vladi's drive and competitiveness unlike Kyrou. But when Tarasenko signed his big contact, he had scored 37 goals the year before (just like Kyrou) and followed that up with 40, 39, 33, 33 goals and was considered a top 5 goal scorer in the league until his injury issues. In Kyrou's first season after the big contract his defense may have improved but his offense has taken a step back. I'm not buying the bad luck argument as his finishing ability has been lacking all season long.

I'm not giving up on Kyrou, but I am fairly disappointed that he hasn't taken a bigger step forward this year. He's had some decent stretches, but like I said before. Teams need their best players to come up big from Feb-April and so far he hasn't done that. We need more than 2 goals in 15 games from our top winger when we're pushing for a playoff spot. There are other guys who haven't met expectations, but it doesn't change the fact that Kyrou hasn't either.
I agree that they both needed to step into leading roles on the team. But Kyrou was never going to be a leader in the same way Thomas was likely to become. If you mean lead in terms of production, then I agree. But expecting Kyrou to be an “A” or “C” type leader shouldn’t have been an expectation and would ultimately lead to disappointment. That’s just not who he is and that is ok.

So you won’t give credit to a guy who worked on a weakness he needed to work on? I would expect a player to see a dip at one end of the ice when they work on the other heavily. I am not sure we saw Tarasenko do that so much in once season. His defensive improvement was very slow and gradual.

Tarasenko while a prolific scorer and had a finery compete level (at times) used to do more defensive zone flybys then seen in the Movie Top Gun. He was a quintessential cherry picker early in his career.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I doubt he’d take a short term unless the dollars were a significant over-pay. 2 x $5.75M ish
The nice thing is, we're actually in a position to do that - we can offer someone a Gavrikov (sp) type 1-2 year deal where the AAV is absurd b/c we don't have that many roster spots to fill in the offseason.

Reactions: Brian39 and sfvega

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I agree that they both needed to step into leading roles on the team. But Kyrou was never going to be a leader in the same way Thomas was likely to become. If you mean lead in terms of production, then I agree. But expecting Kyrou to be an “A” or “C” type leader shouldn’t have been an expectation and would ultimately lead to disappointment. That’s just not who he is and that is ok.

So you won’t give credit to a guy who worked on a weakness he needed to work on? I would expect a player to see a dip at one end of the ice when they work on the other heavily. I am not sure we saw Tarasenko do that so much in once season. His defensive improvement was very slow and gradual.

Tarasenko while a prolific scorer and had a finery compete level (at times) used to do more defensive zone flybys then seen in the Movie Top Gun. He was a quintessential cherry picker early in his career.

I will definitely give him credit for that, but only to an extent. His effort on defense has improved but I also think people are overstating how good he is in that regard. But it certainly encouraging that he doesn't seem content to just be a one dimensional player and I hope he'll continue to work at that part of his game.

In terms of leadership, I don't expect Kyrou to be a vocal locker room leader but he needs to be our most dangerous offensive threat. He'll never be as physical as Tarasenko but I feel like Tarasenko in his prime was a handful for the other team to deal with almost every game. I'd just like to see Kyrou be the same.

Honestly he just needs to play like he did against Ottawa every game. He was shooting from everywhere and seemed a lot more decisive with the puck. It felt like he was a threat every time he had the puck, either to score or set up a teammate. He just needs to find a way to do that more consistently. Splitting up him and Thomas was overdue because Thomas does so much that his linemates might just wait for him to make something happen and defer to him. Let's give Kyrou an extended chance to see if he can carry his own line.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Does the anti-Kyrou contingent have unrealistic expectations? Let's take a look at the film

Honestly he just needs to play like he did against Ottawa every game.

So basically you want him to have 1g, 2a, 3p, +3, per game over 82 games. Or 82g, 164a, 246p, +246,

So if he has 5th all time most goals, 1st all time most assists, 1st all time most points, and 2.5x the best +/- ever, then will he be worth the 57th highest cap hit in the league? Seems like fair expectations.

Last edited:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Does the anti-Kyrou contingent have unrealistic expectations? Let's take a look at the film

So basically you want him to have 1g, 2a, 3p, +3, per game over 82 games. Or 82g, 164a, 246p, +246,

So if he has 5th all time most goals, 1st all time most assists, 1st all time most points, and 2.5x the best +/- ever, then will he be worth the 57th highest cap hit in the league? Seems like fair expectations.
they said play like he did, not necessarily score

I think most people can agree he needs to be more consistent

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
they said play like he did, not necessarily score

I think most people can agree he needs to be more consistent

Playing that well is usually rewarded. And they picked a game where he did score. If they picked a game where he played well and didn't score, then, sure, that is what you meant.

Also even if he just meant play that well, not necessarily scoring, Kyrou has to do it for EVERY GAME. Nobody is saying Thomas, Buchnevich or Binnington need to be great every game. Its one thing to say a player needs to be more consistent, and another to say they need to play at a high level every game. No player in the league has that kind of consistency. Even McDavid and Crosby have off-games.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, you got me. There's no point trying to have a rational conversation with you, which is why I don't even bother. Get a grip dude.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yeah that's exactly what I meant, you got me. There's no point trying to have a rational conversation with you, which is why I don't even bother. Get a grip dude.

"I didn't mean what I said. You're being irrational by thinking I did."

You said Kyrou has to play great every single game. That is an irrational standard. People have off days. I used the stats to illustrate how ridiculous that is by putting a number to it.

But even without numbers, there is no player in the league who meets your standard. The one who play great 70% of the time are the very ELITE, top 10 in the world guys. Kyrou is not getting paid like that and that shouldn't be his expectations.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Anaheim, Columbus, and Detroit (among a few others) are all teams that have a lot of young, promising D maturing at the same time. Pros and cons to that depending on the team and surrounding players, but might be some opportunity to leverage draft capital given where we're likely to be picking.

Detroit, in particular, may have a hard time signing Buium. I don't think he's exactly what we're looking for, but, it holds the potential to speed things along. High risk for F/A since it's unlikely he cracks the line-up next year...? Not an expert on Detroit's situation, by any means, but that logjam + his age stick out.

Prior to Drysdale getting moved, Luneau was the guy I was coveting...

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Anaheim, Columbus, and Detroit (among a few others) are all teams that have a lot of young, promising D maturing at the same time. Pros and cons to that depending on the team and surrounding players, but might be some opportunity to leverage draft capital given where we're likely to be picking.

Detroit, in particular, may have a hard time signing Buium. I don't think he's exactly what we're looking for, but, it holds the potential to speed things along. High risk for F/A since it's unlikely he cracks the line-up next year...? Not an expert on Detroit's situation, by any means, but that logjam + his age stick out.

The older Buium is definitely interesting. There was a thread on the main boards from a wings fan about him possibly being available. Detroit will probably push hard to sign him, but if he’s available could be a good target.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'd take a couple more Jake Neighbor type players on this team over another Kyrou.

I honestly could see Otto Stenberg fitting that mold. I also want to see Neighbours continue to develop his possession game. A BIG thing missing from our offense is the ability to grind out puck battles in the corners. I want Neighbours to become for us what Corey Perry was for the Ducks, an absolute menace who makes his living within 5 feet of the net.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Yeah, similar to how San Jose got Thrun, I hope we are aggressive on those options. I'd even target Carolina if they have issues with not having an AHL squad. If they have issues with Morrow, I hope we pursue that.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

This is what we need to be doing.

Reactions: taylord22

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Just a thought…

Replace Vrana and Kapanen with Monahan (3 x $5M) and one of Snuggerud/Bolduc. Replace Scandella with Skjei (4 x$6M). Even if you can’t move either of Krug or Faulk, I think you can still bring both of those guys in and stay under the cap. The key is to be able to bring those guys in with a little extra AAV so you don’t have to give more than 4 years of term.

63-18-89
20-Monahan-25
10-12-(76/Snuggerud)
26-70-13 (maybe find a cheap 4th line gem in or outside the org.)

Skjei-55
4-72
47-51

I think that can be a playoff roster. Still not good enough to contend, but that’s not going to happen until the 27-28 season in all likelihood anyway, and you’re going to need to start getting contributions over the next 3 years from the guys who aren’t yet roster regulars now to be that good then.

Reactions: Drubilly

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Just a thought…

Replace Vrana and Kapanen with Monahan (3 x $5M) and one of Snuggerud/Bolduc. Replace Scandella with Skjei (4 x$6M). Even if you can’t move either of Krug or Faulk, I think you can still bring both of those guys in and stay under the cap. The key is to be able to bring those guys in with a little extra AAV so you don’t have to give more than 4 years of term.

63-18-89
20-Monahan-25
10-12-(76/Snuggerud)
26-70-13 (maybe find a cheap 4th line gem in or outside the org.)

Skjei-55
4-72
47-51

I think that can be a playoff roster. Still not good enough to contend, but that’s not going to happen until the 27-28 season in all likelihood anyway, and you’re going to need to start getting contributions over the next 3 years from the guys who aren’t yet roster regulars now to be that good then.

Those are the same two targets I was thinking and the higher AAV/shorter term was the route I was thinking as well. I think the Blues like both Pesce and Skjei out of Carolina but with Skjei being a LD he's our guy. I know he's 29 but he's a UFA that can be had for just cap space and he fits the specific usage the team needs from him. I think UFA is the smart route when your needs are as specific as ours are. I do think you'll have to go significantly higher than 4x6 mil AAV to get him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad