Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I’m confused why Faulk gets lumped together with Krug in discussions about the urgency to move him. It’s much easier to see Faulk in a successful role. He can be overpaid and still part of an improved defense.
I think there are two reasons
a) he has played poorly for a large part of this season (injury related in my opinion)
b) those who resent him because of the defenseman who shall not be named

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I've advocated for this approach for a while now. Going into a season where the forward corps is something like Thomas, Kyrou, Snuggerud, Neighbours, Dvorsky, Dean, Stenberg, Bolduc and Stenberg and then 3 throw-ins on the 4th line sounds great because of all that long-alleged scoring talent, but there's still only 1 puck and still only 60 minutes in the game. Rolling 3 lines going 17-18 minutes a night and then lobbing the 4th line in for PK and when everyone needs a breather isn't a practical plan.

We can't say that 4, 5, 6 of those guys after Thomas and Kyrou are untouchable. Prioritize who you really have to keep, look at the others and say crap, I'd really hate to lose them but if we're trying to improve the team I'd get over it and make moves accordingly.

Every one of our prospects is not going to hit. If all of our prospects are good enough to worry about getting them ice time vs Thomas, then we are a dynasty and none of the rest matters.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think there are two reasons
a) he has played poorly for a large part of this season (injury related in my opinion)
b) those who resent him because of the defenseman who shall not be named

I agree with 1. I don't think 2 is the issue because the people talking about trading him aren't necessarily in the Team he who shall not be named camp.

I'd say 2 is his age. He is at the age where his play will start to drop off. We are a couple years out from true contention. Where will he be as a physical-ish 34 year old? His poor play might be injury related but will that get better as he gets older. Injuries are more likely and take longer to heal at 35 than at 25.

I also think it's his value. We have to pay to move Krug. Faulk could return a decent asset if thus season didn't ruin it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree with 1. I don't think 2 is the issue because the people talking about trading him aren't necessarily in the Team he who shall not be named camp.

I'd say 2 is his age. He is at the age where his play will start to drop off. We are a couple years out from true contention. Where will he be as a physical-ish 34 year old? His poor play might be injury related but will that get better as he gets older. Injuries are more likely and take longer to heal at 35 than at 25.

I also think it's his value. We have to pay to move Krug. Faulk could return a decent asset if thus season didn't ruin it.
Yeah, it's more if Krug is not able to be moved, Faulk is someone we could be able to move to allow for some change to our defensive group. Change for change sake isn't ideal, but we also know this group needs a change. If you can get an upgrade without shipping them out, then sure, but if we need to move cap, then Faulk should be a candidate.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Are our prospects really so can’t miss that we wouldn’t trade any of them for the right target? If Snuggy or Dvorsky got traded that’s a good use of assets, provided the guy that came back was a core piece and the prospects that weren’t traded developed into players. I’d trade Dvorsky for a stud, especially if we thought Stenberg and Dean were progressing. Likewise, do the Blues really need both Snuggy & Bolduc? Maybe Vorobyev or Susuyev exceed expectations and become scoring wingers in a couple of years.

All it takes is a guy like Kaskimaki or Robertsson stepping up to make one of the top-5 forward prospects expendable. I actually hope Army decides to move one or two of those guys; fitting them all onto the NHL roster is a good way to become the Senators or Sabres.
Exactly. This is why I'm good with drafting center instead of d this year if c is bpa (or even a great w if they are legit 1st liner, as we have lots of guys who look to be at least good 2-3 line wingers). We are in asset accumulation mode. Try to get best players at most valuable positions and sort it out later.

Reactions: jbron and ArenaRat

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Exactly. This is why I'm good with drafting center instead of d this year if c is bpa (or even a great w if they are legit 1st liner, as we have lots of guys who look to be at least good 2-3 line wingers). We are in asset accumulation mode. Try to get best players at most valuable positions and sort it out later.
This is where I am at too. We desperately need top end D, but simply picking a player because they are a D doesn’t guarantee we will end up with what we need. If we could draft another center or winger that makes another enticing asset expendable to land the D we need then it’s likely a better route than trying to force the issue.

Now if there is a D available at the draft we really like they are next up on our rankings list, then by all means take them.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I’m confused why Faulk gets lumped together with Krug in discussions about the urgency to move him. It’s much easier to see Faulk in a successful role. He can be overpaid and still part of an improved defense.
I bring up Faulk just because of the Ease to move him. I am completely against moving Parayko, and i don't think moving Leddy is a good move for his cap hit and performance. Which leaves just Krug and Faulk as our defensemen making big money.

If we are completely Stuck with Krug, moving Faulk would be the biggest Shake up we can make on the back end without completely gutting our only decent defensive players and he would bring in more value than any defender not named Parayko

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I bring up Faulk just because of the Ease to move him. I am completely against moving Parayko, and i don't think moving Leddy is a good move for his cap hit and performance. Which leaves just Krug and Faulk as our defensemen making big money.

If we are completely Stuck with Krug, moving Faulk would be the biggest Shake up we can make on the back end without completely gutting our only decent defensive players and he would bring in more value than any defender not named Parayko
And Faulk has a hell of a nice moustache, that should bring some extra value as well

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Sadly the only way to get rid of Cryrou without giving up major assets is to take on another bad contract and under performing player.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
I'm not sure if I'm reading sarcasm in places I shouldn't but to insinuate that Kyrou has negative value just because of the amount he is being paid may be a little much. DA definitely shouldn't have given out that contract. Locking in young players to long-term contracts is good if they have a high ceiling in my opinion but he didn't earn that salary yet with consistency.

That being said, Kyrou is very young and still has high value just because of his skill set and speed. He is a high end asset for the Blues and lots of teams could see him as needing a change of scenery. Laugh all you want but he has the potential to land a high end defenseman if you add the right sweetener. Learning to be consistent and maturing takes time and it's different for everyone. Lots of teams would be willing to bet on him.

Plus, every year the cap goes up, this contract looks better.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm not sure if I'm reading sarcasm in places I shouldn't but to insinuate that Kyrou has negative value just because of the amount he is being paid may be a little much. DA definitely shouldn't have given out that contract. Locking in young players to long-term contracts is good if they have a high ceiling in my opinion but he didn't earn that salary yet with consistency.

That being said, Kyrou is very young and still has high value just because of his skill set and speed. He is a high end asset for the Blues and lots of teams could see him as needing a change of scenery. Laugh all you want but he has the potential to land a high end defenseman if you add the right sweetener. Learning to be consistent and maturing takes time and it's different for everyone. Lots of teams would be willing to bet on him.

Plus, every year the cap goes up, this contract looks better.
Starting next season his Cap hit will be 9.3% of the cap and will the projected cap increases it will continue to drop significantly. People look at 8mil and can't get a grasp that 8mil in 2024 looks completely different than 8 mil in 2014 (12.44% of the cap). Hell, 7.5mil of the Cap when Vladi signed his contract was over 10% of the Cap.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Starting next season his Cap hit will be 9.3% of the cap and will the projected cap increases it will continue to drop significantly. People look at 8mil and can't get a grasp that 8mil in 2024 looks completely different than 8 mil in 2014 (12.44% of the cap). Hell, 7.5mil of the Cap when Vladi signed his contract was over 10% of the Cap.
Look at other 30+/70+ players and what they make. His salary is right in line with his production.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Look at other 30+/70+ players and what they make. His salary is right in line with his production.

His production last year, not this year. The question is which Kyrou do we get going forward? It's a bit concerning that he's been a complete non factor in the most important stretch of the season. Not hating, just stating.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
His production last year, not this year. The question is which Kyrou do we get going forward? It's a bit concerning that he's been a complete non factor in the most important stretch of the season. Not hating, just stating.

Over last 10 games:
Kyrou - 2g, 1a, -8
Buchnevich - 0g, 4a, -9

Why are you all not piling on Buchnevich for not showing up down the stretch? He has 1 point outside the Anaheim game over the last 10.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You mean his production the last two years. This year he started with absolutely no puck luck. His shooting percentage was absurdly low. I am curious how he has been a “complete non factor?” Are goals the only things that are a factor? He is getting shots on goal. He is blocking shots. He is playing decent defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad