Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Monahan or a comparable C is realistic, finding someone shortish/medium term at a decent cap hit shouldn't be too difficult, either through free agency or trade. I think Skjei at that price will be near impossible.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm really curious to see what the market is like on Monahan this summer. The injury history combined with his 11 years in the NHL makes it feel like he should be approaching his mid-30s, but he doesn't turn 30 until October.

I assume that he will be seeking 4+ years of term, but I can't imagine too many teams are comfortable with that unless he takes a very team-friendly AAV. I'd wager that a bunch of teams will offer him very different looking contracts that give him the option to either gamble on himself with a 1 year deal in a great situation, lock in 4 years of conservative (but guaranteed) money, or split the difference and take a 2-3 year deal with a more fair-looking AAV.

I don't have much interest in being one of the teams that offers him 3+ years, but we do have the cap space and a 2C lineup opening to offer him a short term deal that pays him a good chunk of change on the AAV. A lot of his strengths line up with our own needs.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Alright, so what about the people who don't blame Kyrou for everything but are still disappointed by his play this year? Are you satisfied with his overall play this season? I don't think it's controversial to say he needs to be better. When a guy signs the big ticket, expectations go up. That's not unfair.
I'm satisfied with his play this year. I certainly wouldn't say disappointed. The player I've seen this year is not at all the player I expected to see, but I have been very pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I've seen. My expectations were for him to take a small step forward in his play off the puck along with a step forward in offensive production.

That isn't at all what we've seen and instead we have seen a decrease in production on the PP and in OT. However, his 5 on 5 production has been close to identical (19 goals and 21 assists in 73 games this year vs 22 goals and 20 assists in 79 games last year). He has a pretty decent chance of slightly improving his 5 on 5 production from last year with a couple more strong games. Personally, I think 1-2 points in either direction is kind of a wash.

But his play without the puck has improved a ton. Like, leaps and bounds.

Both his results and underlying numbers at 5 on 5 have dramatically improved. He's +7 at 5 on 5 this year compared to -16 last year. His xGF% went from 42.97% last year to 48.88% this year. His corsi, fenwick, shot percentage, and high danger chance percentage all increased by 2+ percentage points.

All of those numbers have improved despite a slight dip in offensive deployment and a dramatic increase in the quality of competition he has faced. He was our most sheltered top 9 forward based on quality of competition last season and he is facing the 3rd hardest quality of competition this year. He's gotten to play about 300 more minutes with Buch this year than last and just about the same minutes with Thomas. Everyone around here knows how much I love Buch, but I don't think those extra minutes together outweigh the dramatic increase in QoC.

He has been given a bigger and more difficult role this year than he had last year and has played by far the best defensive hockey of his career in that role. He's not an elite defender and never will be, but he has improved to get himself way out of 'liability' territory and his 5 on 5 offense has not taken a hit as a result.

His 19 goals at 5 on 5 is tied for 18th league-wide. His 40 points at 5 on 5 is tied for 22nd. His 15 primary assists at 5 on 5 is tied for 27th.

Those numbers have been boosted by a hot streak in the last couple weeks and he is still too streaky. Non-MVP-caliber high skilled players are always going to be streaky but he needs to find a way to shorten the slumps because his lows last longer than other non-MVP-caliber high skilled guys. This is also the 2nd straight year where he has been badly snake bitten out of the gate. There are absolutely warts to keep improving. But he is also on a 36 goal and 75 point pace since Bannister took over and his PP production since the coaching change is right on track with his PP production last year (22 PP point pace this year vs 24 PP point pace last year).

He is one of the few players on the team this year whose 'under the hood' numbers don't look awful and his 5 on 5 production has remained level despite teams actively matching up their top players against him substantially more than they ever have before.

I really, really don't see an argument that his value hasn't been that of at least a $7M winger this season. The Atheltic's model has his current value at $7.9M. I think they are slightly overrating him defensively and see an argument that his value should come in a bit lower, but I think he has at absolute worst been a $7M caliber player on the ice this season. For me, that is miles away from disappointing for a 25 year old in year 1 of an 8 year deal with an $8.125M AAV in a league where the cap is about to make 5% jumps in multiple consecutive summers.

I don't view Kyrou as a truly untouchable trade chip. He very well might be the best chance of landing a guy who can be a true #1D for us long-term. I'm not opposed to considering that type of deal. But the idea that he has been a massive disappointment or is looking like a boat anchor contract makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm satisfied with his play this year. I certainly wouldn't say disappointed. The player I've seen this year is not at all the player I expected to see, but I have been very pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I've seen. My expectations were for him to take a small step forward in his play off the puck along with a step forward in offensive production.

That isn't at all what we've seen and instead we have seen a decrease in production on the PP and in OT. However, his 5 on 5 production has been close to identical (19 goals and 21 assists in 73 games this year vs 22 goals and 20 assists in 79 games last year). He has a pretty decent chance of slightly improving his 5 on 5 production from last year with a couple more strong games. Personally, I think 1-2 points in either direction is kind of a wash.

Both his results and underlying numbers at 5 on 5 have dramatically improved. He's +7 at 5 on 5 this year compared to -16 last year. His xGF% went from 42.97% last year to 48.88% this year. His corsi, fenwick, shot percentage, and high danger chance percentage all increased by 2+ percentage points.

All of those numbers have improved despite a slight dip in offensive deployment and a dramatic increase in the quality of competition he has faced. He was our most sheltered top 9 forward based on quality of competition last season and he is facing the 3rd hardest quality of competition this year. He's gotten to play about 300 more minutes with Buch this year than last and just about the same minutes with Thomas. Everyone around here knows how much I love Buch, but I don't think those extra minutes together outweigh the dramatic increase in QoC.

He has been given a bigger and more difficult role this year than he had last year and has played by far the best defensive hockey of his career in that role. He's not an elite defender and never will be, but he has improved to get himself way out of 'liability' territory and his 5 on 5 offense has not taken a hit as a result.

His 19 goals at 5 on 5 is tied for 18th league-wide. His 40 points at 5 on 5 is tied for 22nd. His 15 primary assists at 5 on 5 is tied for 27th.

Those numbers have been boosted by a hot streak in the last couple weeks and he is still too streaky. Non-MVP-caliber high skilled players are always going to be streaky but he needs to find a way to shorten the slumps because his lows last longer than other non-MVP-caliber high skilled guys. This is also the 2nd straight year where he has been badly snake bitten out of the gate. There are absolutely warts to keep improving. But he is also on a 36 goal and 75 point pace since Bannister took over and his PP production since the coaching change is right on track with his PP production last year (22 PP point pace this year vs 24 PP point pace last year).

He is one of the few players on the team this year whose 'under the hood' numbers don't look awful and his 5 on 5 production has remained level despite teams actively matching up their top players against him substantially more than they ever have before.

I really, really don't see an argument that his value hasn't been that of at least a $7M winger this season. The Atheltic's model has his current value at $7.9M. I think they are slightly overrating him defensively and see an argument that his value should come in a bit lower, but I think he has at absolute worst been a $7M caliber player on the ice this season. For me, that is miles away from disappointing for a 25 year old in year 1 of an 8 year deal with an $8.125M AAV in a league where the cap is about to make 5% jumps in multiple consecutive summers.

I don't view Kyrou as a truly untouchable trade chip. He very well might be the best chance of landing a guy who can be a true #1D for us long-term. I'm not opposed to considering that type of deal. But the idea that he has been a massive disappointment or is looking like a boat anchor contract makes no sense to me at all.
I didn't realize that the Player cards for The Athletic update after each game they have Kyrou 2nd on the team in Value and have him at a 8.1 Market Value right now on their site.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I didn't realize that the Player cards for The Athletic update after each game they have Kyrou 2nd on the team in Value and have him at a 8.1 Market Value right now on their site.
I'm curious what their numbers look like since Kyrou, Buchnevich, and Thomas stopped getting so many minutes together as the top line. Though I do agree with Brian, that a healthy amount of Kyrou's numbers are due to his own play and not his linemates.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm curious what their numbers look like since Kyrou, Buchnevich, and Thomas stopped getting so many minutes together as the top line. Though I do agree with Brian, that a healthy amount of Kyrou's numbers are due to his own play and not his linemates.
For the Market vs Cap Hits these are the only players who have an equal or better Market/Cap ratio in our Top 6 and our top 4.

Thomas 9.4 Market 8.1 Cap
Kyrou 8.1 Market 8.1 Cap
Buch 7.7 Market 5.9 Cap
Neighbours 3.2 Market .8 Cap (ECL)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

It makes perfect sense. 3 factors are in effect.

1) Confirmation Bias - People don't change their opinion even when confronted with new information. They decided Kyrou was a huge liability when not scoring, and they will not change their opinion.

2) Preference Bias - People have different preferences. In hockey and seemingly a lot with the Blues, fans prefer big, tough, physical guys. If you aren't 6'5, if you don't gave 70 hits a year, or don't fight, or God forbid if your eyes well up in a press conference, you suck. If you play video games and don't get drunk and sleep around, you suck.

3) Bandwagon Bias - It's a game. It's a meme. Let's pick a player and all jump on the bandwagon against him. Make funny nicknames and call him out for any little thing. It's cheap, it's easy, and it makes you feel a part if the crowd.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I just checked it this morning and they had him at $7.9M as of 3/27. I guess I just missed the update lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Linkens Mastery

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Any chance Doug calls his old buddy BA in Arizona and offers up Snuggy being able to reunite with Cooley , for the cost of one of their top D prospects?
I doubt they part with their recent top 10 pick, but, would Maveric Lamoureux + one of their 2nds intrigue anyone?

Reactions: Blueswin

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Any chance Doug calls his old buddy BA in Arizona and offers up Snuggy being able to reunite with Cooley , for the cost of one of their top D prospects?
I doubt they part with their recent top 10 pick, but, would Maveric Lameux + one of their 2nds intrigue anyone?
i think this is interesting idea. i am not speaking directly to maveric, who i don't know well enough to know how much i would value him, but i don't think we can have all our top prospects be untouchable, especiallly wingers. if we want to get high end d, either prospect or current nhler, it's gonna hurt a bit. and snuggy or stenberg or bolduc might be the cost.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
i think this is interesting idea. i am not speaking directly to maveric, who i don't know well enough to know how much i would value them, but i don't think we can have all our top prospects be untouchable, especiallly wingers. if we want to get high end d, either prospect or current nhler, it's gonna hurt a bit. and snuggy or stenberg or bolduc might be the cost.
Exactly my thoughts. Its not that i want to give up one of those pieces, but acquiring a young D with lots of control is gonna hurt one way or another.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I doubt they part with their recent top 10 pick, but, would Maveric Lamoureux + one of their 2nds intrigue anyone?
I see too many holes and question marks around Lamoureux to be willing move Snuggy for him. We liked Snuggy more than him at the 2022 draft and Snuggy has taken a substantial leap forward in development since then. Lamoureux missed a bunch of his D+1 season recovering from a shoulder surgery and has only played 39 games in this year, his D+2 season.

I think he is a pretty major long shot to become a legit top pair guy and a massive shoulder injury (7 dislocations, torn labrum, and bone fragments in the area) is a pretty large red flag for me. Getting one of their 2nds in a draft class that purportedly falls off after the middle of the 1st round isn't enough for me to want to swap him for Snuggy.

I have Snuggy as a couple tiers ahead of Lamoureux as prospects go. Wing is less valuable than D and we have a greater surplus of wings, but I'm not looking to move our best wing prospect (who might already have the best pure shot of any player in our organization) to get a noticeably lesser prospect at that more valuable position.

As much as we have a 'surplus' of young winger prospects, none of them have the potential to fill the PP one-time threat role like Snuggy and I don't think any of them have the same 5 on 5 floor as Snuggy. Neighbours, Dvorsky, Bolduc, Dean, and Stenberg are all lefties, so he is the only candidate to provide an elite one-time threat from the left side on the PP.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

That's a fair assessment. I wouldn't say he's been a massive disappointment, only somewhat of a disappointment. His defense has improved, though he's not at the point where the coach will use him as a defensive stopper. The fact that he's shown decent improvement shows that he can hopefully continue to trend up. If the Blues PP had been better this year, then his numbers might be closer to what they were last year though I would argue that Kyrou's ineffectiveness on the PP is part of the reason our PP wasn't that good most of the year. Plus, I feel he's like 3/15 on breakaways this year, so that's an area of his game that he can work on.

My main gripe about Kyrou is his inconsistency. I think an $8 million player needs to make an impact nearly every night and there are too many games where he is a non-factor. A lot of the numbers you posted look decent as they are averaged out over the season, but it seems to me that he scores in bunches and then goes through cold streaks where he doesn't contribute much at all. All of his points have come in roughly half of his games (37 games with 0 points), so if he can find a way to score more consistently then he'll be cooking. Next year will tell us a lot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That's a fair assessment. I wouldn't say he's been a massive disappointment, only somewhat of a disappointment. His defense has improved, though he's not at the point where the coach will use him as a defensive stopper. The fact that he's shown decent improvement shows that he can hopefully continue to trend up.

I don't think the expectation for Kyrou ever should be that he is a defensive stopper. That isn't a reasonable expectation based on his skillset or who he has been as a player at any stage of his development. It's also not really a reasonable expectation given his contract.

He has genuinely game-breaking offensive skill and is a top 50 offensive player in this league. If you pair that with truly high end defensive play, you're talking about a guy worth noticeably above $8M.

I think Thomas is already outperforming his AAV by a non-negligible amount and while he is a defensive stopper and a top 50 offensive player, he does not have the game-breaking skill/element that Kyrou has. I will be surprised if Kyrou is ever as good a player as Thomas, so he will never be "as" worth the identical contract as Thomas is, but he has an element to his game that is hard to find, is expensive when you do find it, and he doesn't need to be as good a deal as Thomas in order to more than live up to the contract and reasonable expectations.

If the Blues PP had been better this year, then his numbers might be closer to what they were last year though I would argue that Kyrou's ineffectiveness on the PP is part of the reason our PP wasn't that good most of the year.

This probably comes down to personal opinion, but I strongly disagree. I lay the PP failure early in the season squarely on the coaching staff. No one on either unit was moving with purpose and we seemed hell bent on placing guys in position to actively negate their strengths. I think roughly a third of my posts in November were spent ripping apart how putrid our PP setup was and we were an embarrassing 8% when Berube was let go. When 10 guys suddenly don't know what to do on a PP, I think that is due to what is being asked of them.

The PP was fixed almost immediately after the coaching change (and addition of Richards as a PP consultant). We scored a PP goal in our 2nd game under Bannister and went 4 for 12 on the PP in his first 5 games. Through 45 games under Bannister, the PP has clicked at 23% (11th in the NHL).

Worth noting that the PP was 19% (22nd in the NHL) in 2022/23 after being 27% (2nd) in 2021/22. The PP fell from great to below average as soon as Montgomery left. Mactavish was fired in large part due to the poor special teams in 2022/23 and then it was a dumpster fire out of the gate this year. It immediately improved with the coaching change and has remained good over a 45 game sample.

You can pretty clearly track the ups and downs of the PP along with coaching changes so I put its failures squarely on the coaching staff and not the execution of the players. Kyrou had a couple missed opportunities early in the year that could improved the PP from one of the worst 25+ game samples I've ever seen to just simply really bad, but I don't think that train wreck wasn't on the players at all.

Plus, I feel he's like 3/15 on breakaways this year, so that's an area of his game that he can work on.

Yup.

I don't think he's ever going to have a super high conversation rate on breakaways because most of his breakaways are a result of his speed and he is still flying with a defensive trailer as he makes his moves. Unless you are McDavid, an increase to your overall speed on a breakaway reduces your likelihood of success. A lot of fast players who get a ton of breakaways based purely on footspeed get this reputation.

But he has also missed more than his fair share of clean breakaways where he had the space to slow things down. He needs to work on recognizing the gap he's put on defenders in order to slow down accordingly.

My main gripe about Kyrou is his inconsistency. I think an $8 million player needs to make an impact nearly every night and there are too many games where he is a non-factor. A lot of the numbers you posted look decent as they are averaged out over the season, but it seems to me that he scores in bunches and then goes through cold streaks where he doesn't contribute much at all. All of his points have come in roughly half of his games (37 games with 0 points), so if he can find a way to score more consistently then he'll be cooking. Next year will tell us a lot.
I agree that consistency is an issue and that he needs fewer and/or shorter cold streaks. I think high skill guys like him (minus true franchise players worth $10M+) are always going to score in bunches as that is kind of the nature of it. With that said, I don't think it is realistic to expect him to make an impact nearly every night. Being pointless in 50% of games is for sure too many, but 35-40% is a completely reasonable expectation IMO.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
So, out of curiosity, how much do y'all think Buchnevich would get us at the draft? Was thinking about the first-round pick from one of the Islanders, the Capitals, Hurricanes, the Dead Wings (sorry, old habits die hard), or maybe a sleeper team (thinking the Ducks, Kings, or Golden Knights). Obviously the first of either Detroit or Carolina would get a significant plus added, but I certainly have no wish to sound foolish before I do my seven-round Blues draft (yes, all of our picks) in the draft thread.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
And thank God that didn’t happen.
1711771612301.png
On the other hand, it could work out

Dec 15, 2002
So, out of curiosity, how much do y'all think Buchnevich would get us at the draft? Was thinking about the first-round pick from one of the Islanders, the Capitals, Hurricanes, the Dead Wings (sorry, old habits die hard), or maybe a sleeper team (thinking the Ducks, Kings, or Golden Knights). Obviously the first of either Detroit or Carolina would get a significant plus added, but I certainly have no wish to sound foolish before I do my seven-round Blues draft (yes, all of our picks) in the draft thread.
Of the teams on that list, the best hope is Carolina. Everyone else is likely to be on his no-trade list [Anaheim], likely won't be interested, or wouldn't do a trade straight-up and trying to build a trade around their 1st gets messy quickly.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The point is, usually one of the teams is trading a prospect for a reason, it's not a win/win scenario like we dream up.

I'd typically prefer to stay with our own prospect.
Agreed. I especially have virtually zero interest in moving Snuggerud.

We already moved Tage Thompson and thankfully we got a Cup out of it, but trading another sniper is a pretty terrible idea and has a great chance of backfiring on us. We shouldn’t be looking to move guys like that, even for a defenseman. Try to just find d-men in the draft to the best of our ability instead of making a move like that.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The point is, usually one of the teams is trading a prospect for a reason, it's not a win/win scenario like we dream up.

I'd typically prefer to stay with our own prospect.
Was posting in more of a joking manner, but I do agree that trading prospects for prospects is quite risky for the reason you pointed out.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I was perusing Analysis today and this is what I learned about the nature of the characters of the people who criticize Kyrou:

1. They can't notice when things of significance change on the Blues

2. If they criticize Kyrou it's because they prefer caricature mindless hulkers. The key is the criticism must be in bad faith, and preferring an opposite caricature is of course bad faith.

3. Nobody who criticizes Kyrou is doing more than "following the crowd" and "building memes"

I think I got it. Holy crap that is pathetic.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Ds and Cs are the premium positions; wingers have to really show high end potential in some area or a very complete overall game to bridge that gap. Snuggy's shot looks elite to me and he's got good size on top of that. Count me as someone who doesn't want to trade Snuggy unless it's for a slam dunk solution at #1 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad