Prospect Info: Blues 2022-2023 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Buchinger also had 3 assists last game. Now at 5 points (5 assists) in 4 games. Multiple prospects are off to a good start. Exciting, hope they can keep up.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Damn Kostin traded to Oilers for Dmitri Samorukov. He’s a 6’3 LH defenseman. Anybody know much about him? Don’t really know his game and he has only played 1 NHL game so does this mean Kostin is a bust? Unless Samorukov has really nice potential and is really close.

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Damn Kostin traded to Oilers for Dmitri Samorukov. He’s a 6’3 LH defenseman. Anybody know much about him? Don’t really know his game and he has only played 1 NHL game so does this mean Kostin is a bust? Unless Samorukov has really nice potential and is really close.
Kostin is a bust. That much has been clear for a while.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Kostin is a bust. That much has been clear for a while.
That’s just not true. He’s been effective when he’s engaged, his problem was inconsistency. That’s not being a bust, that’s just being unenthused. He’s got lots of talent (unlike Jaskin), so it’s surprising we’ve given up on him now. Thought we’d see at least one more season from him in this organization.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That’s just not true. He’s been effective when he’s engaged, his problem was inconsistency. That’s not being a bust, that’s just being unenthused. He’s got lots of talent (unlike Jaskin), so it’s surprising we’ve given up on him now. Thought we’d see at least one more season from him in this organization.
If it quacks like a bust and walks like a bust..

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I wouldn't be surprised if they both requested it. Its a change of scenery trade as neither was getting a chance on their former teams.

Looking at a scouting report from when he was in juniors, Samorukov had a bomb shot, but no accuracy. Ok speed, but poor acceleration and lateral movement. Good puck movement, but could get caught out of position on ill timed pinches. That was 4-5 years ago though, so who knows what he looks like now. I couldn't find any reports from his time in KHL or AHL.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Boy, that's not what I saw. The concern since he showed up in the AHL was inability to mesh with linemates effectively. He was all effort and engagement, no hockey sense.

The issue got clouded a bit when he got rave reviews by coaches in both the AHL and then KHL in media pieces, but in hindsight these were probably just tire-pumping efforts. He has the physical tools to be an NHL player, but at no point has he showed the on-ice awareness and judgment needed to play at the highest level.

Maybe he will be a late bloomer. I doubt it, but I think it was best for all parties for him to get a fresh start in a new organization. Knowing nothing about the guy the Blues got in return other than LHD, I think its a good trade.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Boy, that's not what I saw. The concern since he showed up in the AHL was inability to mesh with linemates effectively. He was all effort and engagement, no hockey sense.

The issue got clouded a bit when he got rave reviews by coaches in both the AHL and then KHL in media pieces, but in hindsight these were probably just tire-pumping efforts. He has the physical tools to be an NHL player, but at no point has he showed the on-ice awareness and judgment needed to play at the highest level.

Maybe he will be a late bloomer. I doubt it, but I think it was best for all parties for him to get a fresh start in a new organization. Knowing nothing about the guy the Blues got in return other than LHD, I think its a good trade.
I'm not going to doubt he didn't have hockey sense, he obviously had the physical tools to be an effective 3rd liner, but there were times he wouldn't backcheck hard enough, or wouldn't play the right way as a 4th liner. NOW, having said that, there were definitely times where he just seemed to be making the wrong play or wandering (not good IQ), but we have seen plenty of games where he was dominant and a standout player. To me, it felt like a player finding his way into the NHL, trying to find an identity which we've seen many young players do, but I don't believe he is a bust like Rattie "was", but at this point he is definitely heading in the Yakupov direction.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm not going to doubt he didn't have hockey sense, he obviously had the physical tools to be an effective 3rd liner, but there were times he wouldn't backcheck hard enough, or wouldn't play the right way as a 4th liner. NOW, having said that, there were definitely times where he just seemed to be making the wrong play or wandering (not good IQ), but we have seen plenty of games where he was dominant and a standout player. To me, it felt like a player finding his way into the NHL, trying to find an identity which we've seen many young players do, but I don't believe he is a bust like Rattie "was", but at this point he is definitely heading in the Yakupov direction.
Pretty sure the last time he was “dominant” was the World Juniors. It was fine to cut him some slack after that, being an 18-19 year old in the AHL, coming back from a major injury. But he never progressed, never really showed any signs of being pro-ready. His stat lines, even when adjusting for age and league, were middling at best, and he was always pretty streaky. He’d have a multi-point night, then disappear for a week (or more). His peers passed him a long time ago, and I don’t see how he catches up. Some guys just don’t make the jump, and that’s ok. It sucks to spend a 1st rounder on them tho.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
I would agree he is headed in the "Yakupov" direction and it's always sad when a 1st round pick doesn't work out, but at least Kostin wasn't the 1st overall pick, like Yakupov was. That would have REALLY hurt.

So who would you consider the bigger bust? Kostin or Marek Schwartz (sp)?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I wouldn't be surprised if they both requested it. Its a change of scenery trade as neither was getting a chance on their former teams.

Looking at a scouting report from when he was in juniors, Samorukov had a bomb shot, but no accuracy. Ok speed, but poor acceleration and lateral movement. Good puck movement, but could get caught out of position on ill timed pinches. That was 4-5 years ago though, so who knows what he looks like now. I couldn't find any reports from his time in KHL or AHL.

That sounds like we just traded for Roman Polak 2

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

Here's one man's take on Samorukov.

if Samorukov cannot improve on his consistency and some of his puck skill issues. If he can make those improvements, there is certainly a chance that Samorukov can project to a Nikita Zadorov style of player.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
According to EliteProspects (I know, not entirely reliable or up-to-date), Arseni Koromyslov has four points (one goal, three assists) in the MHL and got promoted to the KHL.

I knew there was a reason I liked him!

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Blues are in strong shape at forward now and into the future but the Blues arguably have zero top four defensemen or defensive prospects anywhere in the organization under 30.

Parayko will be 30 next May 12.

Rosen, 28, not a top 4
Santini, 27, not a top 4
Mikkola, 26, not a top 4
Perunovich, 24, not a top 4
Kessel, 22, not likely a top 4 (I have some hope for Kessel)
Tucker, 22, not a top 4
They've just added Samorukov, 23, who doesn't appear on track to be a top 4 at the moment.

There's Loof, Buchinger, Galloway, Koromyslov and Beck. A couple 3s, a 4, a 5 and a 7th rounder. Projects and possibles. It's not a comfortable situation looking at the future on defense.

Blues need to get at least one 21-25 yo defender/defensive prospect who will be a top pair/top four defender. Ideally plays the left side but honestly they just need the player first and foremost. It's a major organizational need IMO.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Blues are in strong shape at forward now and into the future but the Blues arguably have zero top four defensemen or defensive prospects anywhere in the organization under 30.

Parayko will be 30 next May 12.

Rosen, 28, not a top 4
Santini, 27, not a top 4
Mikkola, 26, not a top 4
Perunovich, 24, not a top 4
Kessel, 22, not likely a top 4 (I have some hope for Kessel)
Tucker, 22, not a top 4
They've just added Samorukov, 23, who doesn't appear on track to be a top 4 at the moment.

There's Loof, Buchinger, Galloway, Koromyslov and Beck. A couple 3s, a 4, a 5 and a 7th rounder. Projects and possibles. It's not a comfortable situation looking at the future on defense.

Blues need to get at least one 21-25 yo defender/defensive prospect who will be a top pair/top four defender. Ideally plays the left side but honestly they just need the player first and foremost. It's a major organizational need IMO.
Gotta disagree. First, your premise isn’t true as Parayko is, as you admit, under 30. Second, with Faulk 30 and Krug and Leddy 31 they just miss your arbitrary deadline. With all 4 signed for at least the next 4 years we clearly feel like this is our top 4 for at least next few years.

Would it be nice to have a 22 year old top 4 guy? Sure. I love that we have guy like Thomas locked in for next 9 years. But what you have identified as a need is a need maybe 3-5 years down the road. We have plenty of time to find our 2026 defense.

Reactions: BlueDream

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Gotta disagree. First, your premise isn’t true as Parayko is, as you admit, under 30. Second, with Faulk 30 and Krug and Leddy 31 they just miss your arbitrary deadline. With all 4 signed for at least the next 4 years we clearly feel like this is our top 4 for at least next few years.

Would it be nice to have a 22 year old top 4 guy? Sure. I love that we have guy like Thomas locked in for next 9 years. But what you have identified as a need is a need maybe 3-5 years down the road. We have plenty of time to find our 2026 defense.
I wouldn’t say its arbitrary because we often say “wrong-side of 30”.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn’t say its arbitrary because we often say “wrong-side of 30”.
Funny because Petro was 30 when he left and everyone whined about how stupid that was for us to allow him to go. At 30 players generally have more good years behind them than ahead, but it’s not like most players suck by 32. They are typically in decline then, but it’s not atypical for a defenseman to still have an exceptional season at 33 or later.

Reactions: BlueDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad