Prospect Info: Blues 2022-2023 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You are trying to act intelligent here when your overall point is extremely dumb. There are many players that break out between the ages of 22-24 and you are trying to say that never happens anymore. :laugh:
Don’t be rude. If a 1st round forward doesn’t make the nhl until 22 he is absolutely behind schedule. And longer it takes the less likely he will be quality NHLer. It’s not that it’s impossible, but if 1st round forward is going to be impact player he most likely will be in nhl before he turns 21 and by 22 year old season should be trending towards being productive.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
is it bad I still have hopes for him? lol

STL could REALLY use a guy like him. he SHOULD be a very good PF type player. when was the last time STL drafted/developed a decent PF?

and it's pretty obvious that his success in the KHL is not translating to the NHL. I'm guessing KHL play does not have much structure. he just doesn't seem to be able to find his niche in a structured system

all tools, no toolbox I guess.. shame
I’m curious where this KHL success is? He has 18 pts in 51 KHL games.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
wasn't it last year or so that they won the cup over there and he had a really big hand in it?
He was on the team that won the Gagarin Cup that year. I don’t recall seeing a single game of it but stats would suggest he was a role player and not one of the guys leading the way.

Reactions: Blueston

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
He was on the team that won the Gagarin Cup that year. I don’t recall seeing a single game of it but stats would suggest he was a role player and not one of the guys leading the way.
I caught some of the highlights online, and I believe he was on their top line (for some reason I seem to recall his C being their top dog) and on for some OT play
I could be misremembering tho

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I caught some of the highlights online, and I believe he was on their top line (for some reason I seem to recall his C being their top dog) and on for some OT play
I could be misremembering tho
I think you are. He was a role player and we all made it out to be a big deal like "gee, isn't it nice our little 6 year old knows which base to run to in t-ball."

• Haha
Reactions: STL fan in MN

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
The results of our epic Battle Royale are in.

The winner, by split decision, is big Tyler Tucker.
Congratulations, Tyler, you are officially the best of the worst of our top 20 prospects.
Here's your prize.
1664740295602.png

Without further ado, your 22-23 top 20 Prospects:
#1 Zachary Bolduc (75.8%)
#2 Jake Neighbours (50.9%)
#3 Jimmy Snuggerud (51%)
#4 Scott Perunovich (86.8%)
#5 Joel Hofer (50%)
#6 Alexei Toropchenko (55.3%)
#7 Nikita Alexandrov (33.3%)
#8 Matt Kessel (38.7%)
#9 Klim Kostin (51.4%)
#10 Leo Lööf (31%)
#11 Simon Robertsson (26.7%)
#12 Michael Buchinger (28.0%)
#13 Colten Ellis (23.5%)
#14 Aleksanteri Kaskimäki (39.4%)
#15 Tanner Dickinson (32.3%)
#16 Arseny Koromyslov (37.5%)
#17 Tyler Tucker (57.1%)
#18 Landon Sim (42.9%)
#19 Vadim Zherenko (41.7%)
#20 Dylan Peterson (38.2%)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I’m not surprised Bolduc was sent back. I haven’t really watched any of the first couple preseason games, but last night he was a non-factor. He looked like he needed to go back to juniors tbh.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I’m not surprised Bolduc was sent back. I haven’t really watched any of the first couple preseason games, but last night he was a non-factor. He looked like he needed to go back to juniors tbh.

I thought he looked a bit more confident and ready in preseason a year ago, so I was looking forward to seeing him force the Blues into a 9 game look. So I'm a little surprised he hasn't looked better, but they also didn't seem to put him in a position to show it. Not only did he have mediocre linemates most of the time, every time I saw him on the powerplay, Schenn was in his spot on the right side and Bolduc was the bumper man, doing all the work to settle bad passes and keep the play alive instead of getting to shoot.

Even though he was on the wing, the bumper role on the powerplay made me think they're still a bit too obsessed with making him a center instead of letting him play to his strengths. I know it's reading tea leaves from across the room, but it makes me wonder if the way they used him in Traverse City and in preseason is part of evaluating O'Reilly's contract and future with the team.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think you are. He was a role player and we all made it out to be a big deal like "gee, isn't it nice our little 6 year old knows which base to run to in t-ball."
He was a typical middle order power forward. Sometimes he would be on the 3rd and 4th lines, other times he would play 17-18 minutes a night. His average TOI during the playoffs was 16:09, so to suggest he didn't have a bigger impact when even his coach acknowledged he was an important player in the playoff run is a bit disingenuous.

Reactions: BlueDream

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sounds like Bolduc didn’t have great camp. Berube certainly doesn’t sound impressed with where he is at. Contrast the below remarks in Bolduc with his impressions on Neighbours last year.

"He's a kid, he's going to go back to junior, he's not ready yet for this level," Berube said. "He's got to go down and play with more pace in his game. I think he has the ability with his feet to do a lot more than he does with the puck. He's got to skate more, make more plays and not just be a shooter. He's capable of doing more with his ability.

"Defensively, he's got to improve. He's got to be more responsible defensively, understand the responsibilities of playing good D and checking. In the games he played, I think he realizes how quick it is and we're not even in the regular season yet."

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Galloway had 3 assist this weekend.
Buchinger had 1 assist - but was a +2 this weekend. Considering his team gave up 7 even strength goals and 1 shorty...... 15 goals total, that is pretty good.
Gaudet had 1 assist in 2 games. He was a -1 in two games.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Galloway had 3 assist this weekend.
Buchinger had 1 assist - but was a +2 this weekend. Considering his team gave up 7 even strength goals and 1 shorty...... 15 goals total, that is pretty good.
Gaudet had 1 assist in 2 games. He was a -1 in two games.
Noah Beck had a hatty.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Don’t be rude. If a 1st round forward doesn’t make the nhl until 22 he is absolutely behind schedule. And longer it takes the less likely he will be quality NHLer. It’s not that it’s impossible, but if 1st round forward is going to be impact player he most likely will be in nhl before he turns 21 and by 22 year old season should be trending towards being productive.
So what're your takes on Kyrou and Tage Thompson

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So what're your takes on Kyrou and Tage Thompson
First, kyrou was 2nd rounder so that does relex expectations a bit. But he made nhl at 20 and in his 22 yer old season he showed he could be productive (although like many young players he was still inconsistent and faded as year went on). and in his 23 year old season he was all star. so he was exactly on schedule i outlined.

tage fits less well. he made nhl at 20 and i think he would have shown similar progress and i was expecting double digit goals the following year. interestingly the 2 guys who i saw as most comparabe were armia and timo meier. 1 of whom is obviously much better than the other, but that is range of what i was expeccting. he got traded to dumpster fire in buffalo though and hsi career got sidetracked. i didn't follow sabres that closely, but looks like he had some injuries that may have slowed his development. but i honestly figured that he was a bust at that point. i was shocked that he put up 38 last year. i think it was a bit of fluke and don't think sabres were wise to give him that contract, but he really got himself turned around and i think he can be 20-25 goal guy going forwrd (which is what i had thought 4 years ago). but i think we can agree that tage's career progression is not the most typical.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Zachary Bolduc knows he still has things to learn

Back from the St. Louis Blue training camp, Quebec Remparts forward Zachary Bolduc was disappointed not to start the season in the National Hockey League, but is keeping a good attitude knowing he still had things to learn in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

“Of course I would have liked to start the season in St. Louis, play a few games, but that is not my decision. And at the same time, I know that I didn't have the training camp that I could have had. I know I could have been better,” said the Trois-Rivières native player after the Remparts practice Wednesday morning at the Videotron Center.

“But by being around guys like (Ryan) O’Reilly and (Vladimir) Tarasenko, I learned a lot,” he continues to indicate that he had grown through this experience.

"What happened was I wasn't playing with my identity, I wasn't playing with confidence, I wasn't inspired enough. I know that I will have to play with more rhythm throughout the games, not to take any shift easy, ”he continued.

More complete

Members of the Blues coaching staff have also let him know that they want to see him become a more complete player. "They all know I'm capable of scoring goals, but now they want me to improve my defensive side. They also want me, in my head, not to be just a shooter, but also to be able to prepare plays.

Bolduc also admits that he felt some pressure after rookie camp. "I was the best player in the rookie camp, but afterwards, I had a drop in intensity at the camp", he continues, also promising to discuss during the season with the new assistant coach of the Remparts, Simon Gagné, who was a good goal scorer in the NHL.

“The further the season goes, the more I should do video with him to analyze my game, because I really have to be good in all three areas. That's what (the Blues) want."

The Blues also set some goals for their 2021 first-round pick. “When they cut me, they gave me a goal of making Team Canada's junior squad this holiday and that's what I'm aiming for.” , continues Bolduc, who was happy to rejoin his teammates.

“Particularly Théo (Rochette) because we get on well together, we live together. I'm happy to still play with 'Captain Scoring'”, he concludes.

Roy's ear

One thing is certain, the Remparts' players who went to NHL camps will have the ear of their coach Patrick Roy in order to manage their return to Quebec. "It's fun to welcome all players back, they all come with a different background, they all learned a lot," said Roy, still surprised that Bolduc did not stay longer with the Bues.

"But it's still rare for a team that wants to go all the way to start the season with a young 19-year-old player. I know we're all a bit proud, like me, when I had to come back to Granby after playing ten games with the Canadiens. It always takes a little time afterwards, you have to be patient, he continues.

In eleven seasons with the Remparts, Roy says he has seen only two players who have not experienced this period of adaptation upon their return from professional camps. "The only ones who hadn't lost the 'beat' are (Marc-Édouard) Vlasic and (Alexander) Radulov," Roy said of the San Jose Sharks defender and Kazan Ak-Bars forward of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL).

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hopefully he can learn from this. He is by far our most talented prospect.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
That's a good read on Bolduc, thank you. The part about the Blues wanting him to prepare plays in his head is consistent with possibly playing center. I'm sure they want every player to develop his four dimensional processing so I won't read too much into it. Hope he makes WJC, it feels like it's been awhile since we had a dangerous scorer in that tournament.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hopefully he can learn from this. He is by far our most talented prospect.
He will. He’s 19.

Turns out the NHL is a super hard league. It’s even harder when you’re a teenager and don’t even have any real strength yet.

Bolduc going back to Junior was always the far more likely outcome. People expecting him to make the team were drinking koolaid.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He will. He’s 19.

Turns out the NHL is a super hard league. It’s even harder when you’re a teenager and don’t even have any real strength yet.

Bolduc going back to Junior was always the far more likely outcome. People expecting him to make the team were drinking koolaid.
Nobody thought he woukd win Calder this year. Hope was, like neighbours last year, he would have great camp and earn 9 game look. He didn’t and he didn’t. He is young and this doesn’t have to be a massive negative, but let’s not pretend that him having crappy camp is good thing.

Reactions: rumrokh and Brian39

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think anyone could've had a reasonable expectation that he was going to earn a 9 game trial. There simply wasn't a spot available, even if he had a great camp. Sure, compared to Fabbri and Thomas, it sort of sucks that he didn't make it in his D+2 season like they did, but next camp is really the big one for him assuming Tarasenko is leaving and we have a bigger need for a scorer.

I'll only consider it a bad camp if he fails to improve in the areas that the Blues discussed with him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's a good read on Bolduc, thank you. The part about the Blues wanting him to prepare plays in his head is consistent with possibly playing center. I'm sure they want every player to develop his four dimensional processing so I won't read too much into it. Hope he makes WJC, it feels like it's been awhile since we had a dangerous scorer in that tournament.
Possibly, or kind of like Tarasenko, where they are both still primarily scorers, but one of the things that makes Tarasenko great is his vision and ability to make a great pass when he needs to. And while Vladi has played with very good teammates before, it's not a surprise that when he got with Thomas, his overall production saw a boost because Thomas is in that same mindset of seeing plays before they happen and making great passes.

So, I could see it going either way, trying to develop as a center, or just developing into a more dynamic winger to eventually pair with Thomas when Tarasenko leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad