Prospect Info: Blues 2022-2023 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Go Furs!

This is in his bio at the UM site.

• Second-highest player drafted by the Blues behind only Erik Johnson (No. 1 overall in 2006)

That doesn't sound right.
I’m guessing they are meaning American born player though I’m not positive on that one. I literally thought about him and dang what a waste of a pick Marty Reasoner was 14th overall in ‘96. Just couldn’t translate his college scoring

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I’m guessing they are meaning American born player though I’m not positive on that one. I literally thought about him and dang what a waste of a pick Marty Reasoner was 14th overall in ‘96. Just couldn’t translate his college scoring
Ohhhhh! 2nd highest from UM!!

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007

I'm not sure I'd call Reasoner a waste of a pick. Sure it woulda been great to get Briere in that spot instead or something but Reasoner was #8 among first rounders that year in games played in the NHL and #16 in career points among all players in the draft.

Not exactly a win, but not really a loss. Just goes to show how difficult it really is to find good players, even with high picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Electrician

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not sure how that line was confusing to all of you. Why would they be posting about anything other than U of M players?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I was hoping he would force his way onto club, at least for trial at start of season. But while he is clearly super talented, he didn’t really do that. Hopefully he uses this year to grow his game and is ready to contribute in St. Louis next year.

Top nine forwards are already locked up. Bolduc needs another year in junior, maybe a year in AHL after that to get stronger. High hopes for him, but not a fast-track guy I think.

I expect Neighbours to start the year in Springfield. These kids need to grow into the professional game.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Top nine forwards are already locked up. Bolduc needs another year in junior, maybe a year in AHL after that to get stronger. High hopes for him, but not a fast-track guy I think.

I expect Neighbours to start the year in Springfield. These kids need to grow into the professional game.
If he’s as good as we hope he shouldn’t need 2 more years.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
If he’s as good as we hope he shouldn’t need 2 more years.

Paths to the NHL aren't all the same. Some needs more time, it doesn't mean they won't be better than others who made it faster. I also believe the AHL could be a good thing for him next season.

The next step for him should be to make the Canadian squad for the WJC and do well.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Paths to the NHL aren't all the same. Some needs more time, it doesn't mean they won't be better than others who made it faster. I also believe the AHL could be a good thing for him next season.

The next step for him should be to make the Canadian squad for the WJC and do well.
The top 20 players from 2019 draft have all made nhl. Virtually all from 2020 have either made nhl or are expected to make team this year. Not saying he should be a star at 19, but the days where top forward prospects marinate until they are 23 are over. Guys peak much younger than we realized and you need them to produce during their cheap years. Not saying he can’t play AHL games, but he should be contributing to blues by middle of next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I bet there were people saying the same thing about Kyrou in October 2017.

Not saying Bolduc will definitely blossom like Kyrou did but some guys simply need more time to develop.
Kyrou played nhl games in draft +2 season. And he was picked 20 spots later. I’m not saying Bolduc should be our leading scorer next year, but next step on his progression is to be able to score against men. Maybe his defensive game or puck battles are lagging, like Kyrou was, but if he doesn’t look like nhl guy next year that is big red flag. That said, I have confidence he will make club at some point early next year and in 2 years be productive.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The top 20 players from 2019 draft have all made nhl. Virtually all from 2020 agave either made nhl or are expected to make team this year. Not saying he should be a star at 19, but the days where top forward prospects marinate until they are 23 are over. Guys peak much younger than we realized and you need them to produce during their cheap years. Not saying he can’t play AHL games, but he should be contributing to blues by middle of next season.

It’s not exactly true. A lot of players from the 2019 draft spent time in the AHL and some still are. The player taken 20th like Bolduc was playing in the AHL last season and was a 12 games call-up to the NHL.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Kyrou played nhl games in draft +2 season. And he was picked 20 spots later. I’m not saying Bolduc should be our leading scorer next year, but next step on his progression is to be able to score against men. Maybe his defensive game or puck battles are lagging, like Kyrou was, but if he doesn’t look like nhl guy next year that is big red flag. That said, I have confidence he will make club at some point early next year and in 2 years be productive.
Then what’s the issue here?

Agree that he needs to show he’s at least borderline an NHL player at some point next season or at least dominating the AHL. But until he shows he’s behind that curve, I see no reason to worry about it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Then what’s the issue here?

Agree that he needs to show he’s at least borderline an NHL player at some point next season or at least dominating the AHL. But until he shows he’s behind that curve, I see no reason to worry about it.
Not worried, but trying to set expectations. some folks here still think we need to be patient with Kostin when it’s been obvious for couple years that we missed on him. If a guy falls behind schedule, it’s generally better to deal him before other teams figure it out than hold onto him while he continues to depreciate. See Bokk.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not worried, but trying to set expectations. some folks here still think we need to be patient with Kostin when it’s been obvious for couple years that we missed on him. If a guy falls behind schedule, it’s generally better to deal him before other teams figure it out than hold onto him while he continues to depreciate. See Bokk.
He’s 19, the fact that you are even bringing up a trade scenario is an overreaction.

Also, no it hasn’t been obvious on Kostin for a couple years. One year ago at this time he had only played in 6 NHL games. There was still reason to believe, a year ago, that he could at least fill a bottom 6 role. Last season was the first time we realized that he cannot so that.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He’s 19, the fact that you are even bringing up a trade scenario is an overreaction.

Also, no it hasn’t been obvious on Kostin for a couple years. One year ago at this time he had only played in 6 NHL games. There was still reason to believe, a year ago, that he could at least fill a bottom 6 role. Last season was the first time we realized that he cannot so that.
If you still thought a year ago that Kostin was going to be a quality NHLer..

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
is it bad I still have hopes for him? lol

STL could REALLY use a guy like him. he SHOULD be a very good PF type player. when was the last time STL drafted/developed a decent PF?

and it's pretty obvious that his success in the KHL is not translating to the NHL. I'm guessing KHL play does not have much structure. he just doesn't seem to be able to find his niche in a structured system

all tools, no toolbox I guess.. shame

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You are trying to act intelligent here when your overall point is extremely dumb. There are many players that break out between the ages of 22-24 and you are trying to say that never happens anymore. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad