Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays fire manager Montoyo, Schneider takes over

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Royals missing 10 players, and have a 30 win season........... Maybe its time to get rid of the HR jacket and implement a Win the game jacket.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Or fire the hitting coach. Too many guys have taken a step back and in pretty much all cases its the exact same problem; being physically unable to lay off of really bad pitches. Guys like Vlad, Springer and Hernandez are all good hitters but theyre all falling to the same issue. To me, that's coaching. Especially in a guy like Vlad's case when he had an immaculate eye last season to the point the broadcast team couldn't shut up about it

It makes me laugh that a piece of fabric enrages that many people

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

That said, here is what I have been able to find out from people in and around the Blue Jays’ organization about why they made the move they did.

It seems that there was a disconnect between the Jays’ front office and Montoyo, and a disconnect between the manager and his players. It doesn’t mean that Montoyo lost the clubhouse, it just means his words lost their impact.

I have never met anyone who doesn’t like Montoyo. He is a kind, sensitive gentleman. He is eternally optimistic. In fact, he is one of the nicest people I have met in baseball.

The problem is that being universally liked when you are the boss is actually the damning evidence of the disconnect that seemed to exist. Managers need to strive to be respected, not necessarily liked. It was okay for Montoyo to be upbeat and optimistic when the team was growing together and overachieving. But in a season like this, a season that held great promise where many individual players have been underachieving, there needed to be a different level of communication.

In my experience, the best managers are able to be a different manager for every player. When players are struggling, some may need a kick in the pants while others may need a pat on the back. Some may need to be yelled at, while others need a hug. A good manager has to not only know what his players need, but he needs to be able to give it to them.

This is where Montoyo came up a bit short in the opinion of those in the know.

He isn’t a scapegoat for the team’s struggles, nor was he the cause of it. But in the minds of the decision makers, he wasn’t the one who could help the team overcome it either. The Jays (47-43) have won just three of their last 13 games.

Atkins didn’t want to wait any longer and have the club fall out of the American League playoff race before making the change.

Schneider is known to be a fiery competitor. He has been a favourite of this front office for a while. He was a successful minor-league manager and is an excellent communicator. He is a good baseball man.

The native of Princeton, N.J., will get plenty of guidance from the Jays’ front office on what the analytics say and where adjustments need to be made. It will be his job as interim skipper to have the hard conversation with players.

I heard from several sources that “Charlie didn’t like confrontation.” Who does? But as a manager, you must be able to confront lack of effort or commitment. You must address poor preparation and execution. Sometimes players need to be challenged to earn their playing time or position in the batting order. There has to be clear expectations and then accountability to fulfill them. If someone comes up short in an area, they need to be called out for it.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Doing some reading, appears the draft Sunday night will have rounds 1 and 2, Monday is rounds 3-10 and Tuesday is rounds 11-20.

So with our 2 comp picks technically being before round 3, I guess all 4 picks will be televised as part of Sunday night? We will have picks 23, 60, 77 and 78. Trying to find some enjoyment outside of actually watching this team right now. U think we take the remaining 3 games against the Royals with 2 of them being offensive explosions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad