Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays fire manager Montoyo, Schneider takes over

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Last thread went over 1k. I know that the new rules mean we don't need to shut threads down at 1k posts, but it's probably still good to refresh them every so often and stop the discussion from being interminably long and ungainly.

Previous thread: Blue Jays Discussion: - Confirmed: Vladimir Guerrero Jr is still good at baseball

As for the GDT, it was also over 1k so with the off-day on Monday I'll just leave it for now and if I don't have a new GDT started by Tuesday afternoon someone else can take care of it.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I have a question about the MLB draft. I was watching a college game tonight. Are some of the players drafted still playing in college and highschool? Is the draft the same as other pro sports?

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Offence alive? Never you mind. Charlie benches any signs of life. The same way he pulls a guy with 87 pitches working on a shutout. Vladdy needs AB's? sit. Manoah in a groove? sit. Tapia sucks? play. Bullpen tired? he'll trot you out again. Charlie kills performance one way or the nother.

Reactions: CherryToke and ER89

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I get that Montoyo does some dumb stuff, but at this point I'm convinced people can't seem to even enjoy a game because of it. They've won 5 straight and 10 of 14. This is such a fun team, but every GDT (and this one, usually) is just complaining about every single thing Montoyo does. Ugh.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have a question about the MLB draft. I was watching a college game tonight. Are some of the players drafted still playing in college and highschool? Is the draft the same as other pro sports?
Some of the college players were likely drafted out of high school and decided not to sign. Most players either sign out of high school or 3 years later after their junior year. Teams don't hold onto a player they draft out of high school who then goes to college, they re-enter the draft open to anyone.

Reactions: Discoverer

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I get that Montoyo does some dumb stuff, but at this point I'm convinced people can't seem to even enjoy a game because of it. They've won 5 straight and 10 of 14. This is such a fun team, but every GDT (and this one, usually) is just complaining about every single thing Montoyo does. Ugh.
He makes some questionable decisions sometimes from an outside perspective, but can't count the number of times I've seen people on here complaining about a decision, only for it to work out quite well in the game. And then it's crickets. But if that thing ends up hurting us... oh man, we'll hear it for days.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

It is becoming excessive, yes, but I thought that we’d have a different manager for the contending years. I really thought that was the plan.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
With how bad the pen has been recently I wonder how soon, if at all, we could see guys like Adrian Hernandez and Matt Gage added to the 40 man? Both are dominating AAA and will be eligible for the rule 5 draft if not added to the 40 man by the end of the season.

Reactions: MS and Discoverer

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
He makes some questionable decisions sometimes from an outside perspective, but can't count the number of times I've seen people on here complaining about a decision, only for it to work out quite well in the game. And then it's crickets. But if that thing ends up hurting us... oh man, we'll hear it for days.

Sometimes a wrong decision still works. Sometimes the right decision doesn't work.

Doesn't change the fact that a poor decision was made. We won the game with Tapia at DH

Reactions: stickty111

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Can't speak for everyone but I've made several "why do I even bother questioning Montoyo" comments when a blunder of his pays off. But still... having Vlad/Teo/Jansen on the bench and Tapia/Zimmer/Biggio in against a lefty that has given up 1 hit to lefties heading into the game... only for them to come up with 2 hits and a walk (Zimmer still K'd twice) is some kind of Montoyo Magic.

Reactions: stickty111

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sometimes a wrong decision still works. Sometimes the right decision doesn't work.
Sometimes people on the outside with limited information believe a right decision that has valid reasoning is wrong.

In the end, even if a "wrong decision" is made (which will happen for every team and coach), the chance of it having a meaningful impact on the overall outcome is ridiculously small, so just enjoy the games.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking ahead at the Jays schedule.. Am I reading that right that the Jays have a 5-game series against Tampa at the end of June/start of july?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'll resurrect C4G's prospect rankings topic and make a crack at it myself.

60 FV
1. Gabriel Moreno

55 FV
2. Orelvis Martinez
3. Ricky Tiedemann

50 FV
4. Leo Jimenez
5. Jordan Groshans

45+ FV
6. Gabriel Martinez
7. Dahian Santos

45 FV

8. Yosver Zulueta
9. Sam Robberse
10. Otto Lopez
11. Hayden Juenger
12. Tanner Morris

40+ FV
13. Manuel Beltre
14. Estiven Machado
15. Rikelbin De Castro
16. Irv Carter
17. Hagen Danner
18. Luis Meza
19. CJ Van Eyk

40 FV
20. Adam Kloffenstein
21. Nick Frasso
22. Kendry Rojas
23. Adrian Hernandez
24. Bowden Francis

35+ FV
25. Samad Taylor
26. Trent Palmer
27. Adrian Pinto
28. Vinny Capra
29. Max Castillo
30. Rafael Ohashi

Mar 14, 2011
Sometimes people on the outside with limited information believe a right decision that has valid reasoning is wrong.

In the end, even if a "wrong decision" is made (which will happen for every team and coach), the chance of it having a meaningful impact on the overall outcome is ridiculously small, so just enjoy the games.
Lol you cant be serious, you mean to tell me Montoyo choosing to put Borucki (the most unreliable reliever in the pen) in a tie game during extra innings instead of allowing Phelps who has been one of the most reliable reliever in the Jays pen had little impact on the outcome?
Sure putting Tapia in DH worked out well yesterday, but at the end of the day Montoyo's unorthodox decisions has hurt the team more than help them, as you can imagine relying on a guy with a -.5 WAR for the season and a WRC+ of 62 will more often that not result in easy outs which is specially more painful to watch when said below replacement player gets put in the the top of the lineup like what Charlie had done several times in the season thus far.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Looking ahead at the Jays schedule.. Am I reading that right that the Jays have a 5-game series against Tampa at the end of June/start of july?
Likely a make up game from the series that was cancelled in the first week of the year. I think they have a 5 gamer with Cleveland coming up too because of a rain out earlier.

Also, there are some tough series coming up in June; Yankees, Twins, Brewers, and to a lesser extent, twice against the White Sox. However, a ten game stretch against the Royals, Tigers and Orioles is a chance to really pile up some wins.

EDIT- I guess I made that part about Cleveland up in my head.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Despite Montoyo's unorthodox lineups and bullpen management, the team itself is still playing above their pythag/baseruns. Have they been winning some games in spite of this, possibly, but they're still stealing wins they have no business getting. I'm sure guys wouldn't be put into the blender if there were more cream rising to the top.

Over the last couple of weeks Teoscar and Espinal have been struggling. Vladdy's been unlucky but regardless, low offensive input. Jansen has been hitting bombs but walks are down and Ks are up. Meanwhile Zimmer, Biggio, and even Tapia have made decent contributions. Enough to gain some playing time, albeit yesterday was probably not the best situation to put them in (against a tough lefty) but it worked.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

The hivemind in here is comical at this point.

They have one in September as well.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
What's the latest on Nate Pearson? I admittedly don't follow as closely as others, so apologies if this has been recently addressed.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What's the latest on Nate Pearson? I admittedly don't follow as closely as others, so apologies if this has been recently addressed.

He pitched on thursday in Dunedin

Screenshot (154).png

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Can't speak for everyone but I've made several "why do I even bother questioning Montoyo" comments when a blunder of his pays off. But still... having Vlad/Teo/Jansen on the bench and Tapia/Zimmer/Biggio in against a lefty that has given up 1 hit to lefties heading into the game... only for them to come up with 2 hits and a walk (Zimmer still K'd twice) is some kind of Montoyo Magic.

But then we found out Teoscar was getting a scheduled day off (as they seem to like to do with guys before/after an off day to give them two full days), Jansen was nursing an injury, and then Vlad was a last minute scratch because of a sore wrist.

I guess you could argue they could have had Teo DH once they found out Vlad was out, but the whole situation just emphasizes how much goes on behind the scenes that we're not necessarily aware of. Then even when we are aware of the extenuating circumstances, they frequently get ignored because we've already decided Montoyo is an idiot for having Biggio/Zimmer/Tapia in against the lefty instead of Vlad/Teo/Jansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad