OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
We'll see. I don't like to get wrapped up in the guessing and panicking game. Doctors are evaluating him now. We'll know more tomorrow. It's worth noting that Nichols did have a significant injury history before arriving in Winnipeg (broken leg in 2012, ACL injury in 2013 that kept him out entire season).

Worst case scenario might be the Bombers have to sacrifice the future for the now. This team is too good to let a year get ruined. Pay up big time to get a guy like Franklin out of Toronto. Or pay a little less to get Bridge out of Sask or Adams out of Hamilton. Or maybe Chris Streveler is a lucky genius when he turned down NFL looks to sign with the Bombers.
more than the nfl, the cfl is a league of stud QBs who got their chance when the starter went down with injury. bombers had that with Nicholls. hopefully it happens again

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
more than the nfl, the cfl is a league of stud QBs who got their chance when the starter went down with injury. bombers had that with Nicholls. hopefully it happens again

Well actually the Bombers didn't really. They acquired Nichols when Willy got hurt in 2015, but it was for a conditional 7th (which was the last round of draft at the time). He wasn't exactly valued. He started out that stretch and was mediocre. In 2016 Bombers went back to Willy. He started 1-4 and there were rumblings of O'Shea/Walters already being fired. Basically out of desperation they made the change to Nichols. It certainly did work out, but in this case it wasn't exactly injuries but poor performance from Willy.

Just gotta wait and see. Once diagnose comes in for Nichols tommorrow we'll get a better idea. If it's 10+ weeks you can bet Walters will be offering up his first+ to get a guy in, IMO (like a Bridge, Franklin, or Adams). Adams is the most likely, he's at best #3 in Hamilton. It is concerning that he's bounced to 4 different teams already (was on BC neg list planning to come north, traded to MTL a year there, traded to Sask for a year, now in Hamilton camp), but he has talent. Franklin sounds like he might be losing the backup spot to McLeod-Thompson in Toronto so Toronto might try to ditch his salary despite recently trading for him. Sask has committed hard on Collaros and might be willing to part with Bridge.

I'd be happy with any of those 3. Even if the cost is a 1st +.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
So.. Trade assets for a bunch of guys who haven't proven anything? Lol.. Nope.

Go with Streveler and lets see what hes got.. He might surprise some people.

Im not trading anything of value for guys who have proven to be not good enough

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So.. Trade assets for a bunch of guys who haven't proven anything? Lol.. Nope.

Go with Streveler and lets see what hes got.. He might surprise some people.

Im not trading anything of value for guys who have proven to be not good enough

Who did I mention has proven to not be good enough? I'm not talking about trading for Kevin Glenn. Bridge, Franklin, and Adams are 3 of the most promising prospects in the league. And more importantly all 3 have CFL experience. Unlike Streveler. Asking a pure rookie who's never played the 3 down game before to lead your team is setting the team and the player up for failure. If Nichols is out long term they need a guy with at least some experience to help out, at least as a safety net.

This is a different story if it was Week 10. Then you can give Streveler a long look before the deadline. Right now though you don't want just Streveler - Ross - Bennett as your 3 guys to enter the year. If Nichols is only going to be out like 6-8 weeks or shorter, sure I'm ok with it. If it's season long, the team is too good right now to waste the season. Bite the bullet, give up a 1st + a decent canadian (Chorney maybe, injuries plus he is UFA at end of year) and get a QB with experience and potential.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Wait and see what the prognosis is tomorrow before we start making hasty trades, could be nothing, could be season ending who knows, but he does have a bit of a history with injuries and we might need to have another option, just when it looked like we had all the pieces lined up this could seriously derail this team.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wait and see what the prognosis is tomorrow before we start making hasty trades, could be nothing, could be season ending who knows, but he does have a bit of a history with injuries and we might need to have another option, just when it looked like we had all the pieces lined up this could seriously derail this team.

Of course. Walters won't make a move until he knows the injury. Bauming on his camp notes says that the public might not get an update until Monday. I'm guessing the Bombers will wait and see until after cut down day. If it's shorter term they might wait to see if a Dom Davis (shudder I know) or something gets released. But I do figure that if it's anything over 4 weeks we'll see a CFL vet brought in some capacity. If it's over 10 weeks I'm anticipating a trade for a promising player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not having a good backup QB is the biggest risk a CFL GM can take. Hoping this doesn't bite the Bombers' in a season that holds so much promise, otherwise.

Reactions: one other person

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Nichols being injured or not Streveler needs a half plus against BC, don't think that Ross or Bennett are an option, definitely think that the Bombers will be looking at cut QB's even if the injury to Nichols isn't bad, hope it's nothing but a tweak but today shows that a potentially great season could be gone before it starts.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Media speculating that's Nichols has a ACL tear, again just a media report but if true and he has had one before would be the worst news in terms of injury.

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Nichols being injured or not Streveler needs a half plus against BC, don't think that Ross or Bennett are an option, definitely think that the Bombers will be looking at cut QB's even if the injury to Nichols isn't bad, hope it's nothing but a tweak but today shows that a potentially great season could be gone before it starts.
If someone serviceable shakes loose maybe the number of extra losses will be somewhat mitigated? Perhaps this was part of Walters’ calculation regarding not spending on an experienced backup (whoever that could have been.)

Also worrying is the real possibility that the o-line is weaker this year due to the extra non-import. It all adds up to trouble.

What a revolting development this turned out to be. Damn.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
On a non contact injury too because of ****ing course it was.

Brandon Bridge was quoted as saying "QB or nothing" in regards to his role in Sasky. Assuming the worst...come on down, Mr. Bridge?

I agree with Holden though. You need to make a move here to salvage the season. Strevler looked awesome but you can't expect the kid to step in and start right away.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If someone serviceable shakes loose maybe the number of extra losses will be somewhat mitigated? Perhaps this was part of Walters’ calculation regarding not spending on an experienced backup (whoever that could have been.)

Also worrying is the real possibility that the o-line is weaker this year due to the extra non-import. It all adds up to trouble.

What a revolting development this turned out to be. Damn.

Walters got an experienced (and mediocre at best) backup. The slimeball retired without telling the team days before camp. Not much else Walters could have done.

The O-Line is still one of, if not the best in the league. No worries there. The O-Line didn't miss a beat when Bond didn't play last bit of last season. He was even healthy scratched at times because he was international.

On a non contact injury too because of ****ing course it was.

Brandon Bridge was quoted as saying "QB or nothing" in regards to his role in Sasky. Assuming the worst...come on down, Mr. Bridge?

I agree with Holden though. You need to make a move here to salvage the season. Strevler looked awesome but you can't expect the kid to step in and start right away.

Bridge will likely cost. He is the #2 is Sask. It's hard to say how much he would cost. I think Franklin (who is apparently losing the battle for #2 in Toronto) or a Vernon Adams is more likely, prospects with experience. BB may try kicking the tires on a guy like Rakeem Cato as well.

Of course this is all assuming it's bad. There's alot of hysteria, zero information at all. The Bombers won't do anything out of panic, let's wait and see. It might only be a few weeks. In that case sure go with Streveler or Ross.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly any of those options are fine. Hell i'd be fine with Kevin Glenn part 3.

Bridge was just the one that came to mind since he was in the news recently.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
We wont miss the playoffs in the first month of the season, lets wait a see how Streveler does, maybe a vet qb is cut loose, in any case we have a lot of talent on O, really don't want to give up a lot if we don't have to, lets hope for the best in terms of Nichols injury.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Any chance Masoli would be available if Hamilton decides to play Manziel?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why are people making main boards would never happen IRL trades for unproven backups? This isnt the NHL... We got Nichols for a 7th rd pick.

Yes because Nichols was a backup that had looked terrible and not viewed as having any potential. It was a pure fluke that it succeeded. He was likely done with football at the end of that year if Winnipeg doesn't make that trade. It was mid-season and Edmonton was looking to shed his salary. Bombers were pretty much done for the year, just needed a warm body. Now Bombers are a contender without a QB going into the start of the year. Completely different scenarios. I mean we can probably get Dominique Davis for a 7th.

It'll cost some to get guys who can be considered future starters. We'll wait and see about injury. In the past few years guys like Vernon Adams Jr (neg list rights) and Drew Willy post Winnipeg went for 1st round picks. It costs to get QB's, Bombers getting lucky with Nichols doesn't invalidate that.

Also I haven't seen a single trade proposal in this thread? I am throwing out names that might be available to get with potential. And I guess I've said I would be ok Bombers paying a big price for the right guy. No proposals from me or anyone though...

Any chance Masoli would be available if Hamilton decides to play Manziel?

Unlikely Hamilton starts Manziel. Manziel will only play if Masoli flops. He is also pretty expensive, more likely Hamilton cuts Masoli if Manziel takes over.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Why are people making main boards would never happen IRL trades for unproven backups? This isnt the NHL... We got Nichols for a 7th rd pick.

Teams know we are desperate and dont want to give them up unless its worth their while. If it's a young guy at least we have two quarterbacks next year.

Durant you bum lol

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Teams know we are desperate and dont want to give them up unless its worth their while. If it's a young guy at least we have two quarterbacks next year.

Durant you bum lol

After watching Durant last year in Montreal, we might be better off to be honest. Watching him throw every pass straight into the ground 3 feet in front of him would have driven me nuts beyond belief. At least with Streveler/Ross/Bennett there's hope that they might improve.

Reactions: bebob and Whileee

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Strelever looked good, but it was one game and it was against a bunch of bums. Ross was pure garbage. Bennett didn’t show anything for us last time and he didn’t do anything in Saskatchewan. If Nichols’ injury is significant, we are screwed if we don’t replace him.

Franklin I think is overrated. Adams I don’t know much about and Bridge I would be okay with. Cato has locker room issues, so not him. They better not bring back Davis. Masoli I would have interest in for a good price, but he’s almost 30 so I would want him cheap which is unlikely to happen.

Wonder where Casey Printers is these days :sarcasm:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Of course this is all assuming it's bad. There's alot of hysteria, zero information at all.

there's zero information. that is true.
there's also piecing things together to make an educated guess.
it could be an ACL sprain. it could be a tear.
but it's likely not an ankle or groin injury. it's pretty obvious what kind of localized injury it was based on how it happened, how he walked off and his reaction. when they blow, you hear a pop. his reaction would lead one to believe that he "heard" that.

we shall wait, but it will be after the weekend. they'll wait until any swelling goes down and then probably announce it after the game.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
there's zero information. that is true.
there's also piecing things together to make an educated guess.
it could be an ACL sprain. it could be a tear.
but it's likely not an ankle or groin injury. it's pretty obvious what kind of localized injury it was based on how it happened, how he walked off and his reaction. when they blow, you hear a pop. his reaction would lead one to believe that he "heard" that.

we shall wait, but it will be after the weekend. they'll wait until any swelling goes down and then probably announce it after the game.

Yeah it's most likely that. When someone is back pedaling and gets injured without contact, that's the most likely injury

Heres some nice reading on Streveler to sooth the pain
Streveler's CFL debut could not have gone better

Whileee

May 29, 2010
After watching Durant last year in Montreal, we might be better off to be honest. Watching him throw every pass straight into the ground 3 feet in front of him would have driven me nuts beyond belief. At least with Streveler/Ross/Bennett there's hope that they might improve.
Agree. I think the Durant signing was a head scratcher, all things considered. Head case, beyond the deterioration of performance. Bombers main vulnerability is now a bright, flashing beacon.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Agree. I think the Durant signing was a head scratcher, all things considered. Head case, beyond the deterioration of performance. Bombers main vulnerability is now a bright, flashing beacon.
on the flip side, we'll all need to shut up if any of the current back-ups are actually quite solid.
we'll have to wait to see how they pan out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad