OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Great recap Holden, and thanks for doing this! I’m trying to get more into the Bombers this year, and you make it really easy to learn about them with posts like these.

I appreciate your insight.

Sounds like we might have quite the squad this year in Blue and Gold!
I too appreciate it. I was mad this wasn't televised, all games should be preseason or not.
But Bombers are easy to get in to. I enjoy the actual game day experience outside in the summer over a Jet game. I love following this team, you can look forward to my great recaps that no one else reads ;)

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I too appreciate it. I was mad this wasn't televised, all games should be preseason or not.
But Bombers are easy to get in to. I enjoy the actual game day experience outside in the summer over a Jet game. I love following this team, you can look forward to my great recaps that no one else reads ;)

Yea my family enjoys the game day experience during nice weather.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It would be great if we have a good backup QB , just seems like the Bombers haven't had one in a very long time . How old is Streveler ?

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers released DB Stephen Clarke today. Bauming thinks it's likely due to his slightly higher salary with his veteran status and how the young players have stepped up. As the only veteran international that was with the 2nd team last Friday, it's only a little surprising since he played well and had a pick. The expectation is that he will sign elsewhere right away.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Rumours of Ekakatie perhaps being cut. However the report I saw is pretty misinformed. The are stating salary concerns yet his salary minus the bonus (which is already paid out and counts on cap no matter what) is 60K. CFL minimum salary is 54K, so at best the Bombers would save 6K (since someone would have to replace him on the roster).

Overall they've drafted well, but Ekakatie is not looking great. I don't think they'll release him though, Thomas and Ekakatie are the only national DT's on the roster. They won't carry a backup international at DT (DT's don't generally play any ST).

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Rumours of Ekakatie perhaps being cut. However the report I saw is pretty misinformed. The are stating salary concerns yet his salary minus the bonus (which is already paid out and counts on cap no matter what) is 60K. CFL minimum salary is 54K, so at best the Bombers would save 6K (since someone would have to replace him on the roster).

Overall they've drafted well, but Ekakatie is not looking great. I don't think they'll release him though, Thomas and Ekakatie are the only national DT's on the roster. They won't carry a backup international at DT (DT's don't generally play any ST).

Going to be tight to get Ekakatie on the 46. That's more the issue than money. Generally won't be carrying more than 7 DL total. They basically dropped Thomas into his spot. You have guys like Augustine, Petermann, Spooner, a lot of DB's and LB's who are good players and good special teamers, some guys that will get picked up by other teams almost certainly if they are left off the 46.

Lots of good Canadians vying for the roster. Ekakatie could end up on the practice roster (technically cut first then has to agree to join).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Going to be tight to get Ekakatie on the 46. That's more the issue than money. Generally won't be carrying more than 7 DL total. They basically dropped Thomas into his spot. You have guys like Augustine, Petermann, Spooner, a lot of DB's and LB's who are good players and good special teamers, some guys that will get picked up by other teams almost certainly if they are left off the 46.

Lots of good Canadians vying for the roster. Ekakatie could end up on the practice roster (technically cut first then has to agree to join).

Ekakatie would never end up on a practice roster. If the Bombers can't fit him in, he will get picked up elsewhere. Disappointing or not, he was considered a top 5 pick lock and teams will give those guys chances. It takes DT a while to develop sometimes. If Ekakatie is really in that tough, he might just "get injured" and start the year on the 6 game. Every team in the CFL does things like that. I don't think they will give up on him just yet.

There's ways to make 8 DL work though. Remember too it might be 7 since Chorney has not been healthy along the DL. As you say though, it's a tough tough camp this year. Lots of talent.

I've long thought the CFL should be expanding the rosters. 4 more roster spots up to 50, expand the gameday roster from 44 to 46 or 48 (adding 1 or 2 each of national and international). Would lead to less teams exploiting the injury list, IMO.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Ekakatie would never end up on a practice roster. If the Bombers can't fit him in, he will get picked up elsewhere. Disappointing or not, he was considered a top 5 pick lock and teams will give those guys chances. It takes DT a while to develop sometimes. If Ekakatie is really in that tough, he might just "get injured" and start the year on the 6 game. Every team in the CFL does things like that. I don't think they will give up on him just yet.

1 game injured is most likely as the CFL audits the 6 game lists now with independent doc's, but again the player has to agree to that and it counts against the cap. I think it's very unlikely Ekakatie ends up on an CFL teams 46 man roster in the first few weeks of the season aside from the Bombers. His position isn't one that many teams are hurting at and he hasn't shown much back to his pro day.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
1 game injured is most likely as the CFL audits the 6 game lists now with independent doc's, but again the player has to agree to that and it counts against the cap. I think it's very unlikely Ekakatie ends up on an CFL teams 46 man roster in the first few weeks of the season aside from the Bombers. His position isn't one that many teams are hurting at and he hasn't shown much back to his pro day.

He's a league min player the rest of the way, so again cap doesn't really matter. I didn't know CFL monitors 6 game, thats good news.

We'll see. Like you said camp is tough this year but I don't see them giving up on him just yet. It sounds like last year was a real wake up call for him.

Somebody would take a chance on guy who was #1 overall just a year ago. At least for a year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dumber news released today. CFL is talking about capping salaries on front office personnel. Which is the stupidest thing I've heard. Sure Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton will take home more profit. But it will hurt fans in that teams will be forced to keep bad coaches for cap reasons. Less unknown players will be discovered as scouting budgets decrease for the well off teams. All to pander to Toronto who can't keep up. What stupidity.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
tossing a helmet from an ankle roll doesn't make sense.
sorry, dudes. i'm fearing the worst. a knee ligament or Achillies
hope i'm wrong and just hyperprognosticating.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Dumber news released today. CFL is talking about capping salaries on front office personnel. Which is the stupidest thing I've heard. Sure Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton will take home more profit. But it will hurt fans in that teams will be forced to keep bad coaches for cap reasons. Less unknown players will be discovered as scouting budgets decrease for the well off teams. All to pander to Toronto who can't keep up. What stupidity.
This is one of those ideas that ends up getting trashed down the road. Coaching and staffing are already an issue in the CFL, and this will almost certainly exacerbate that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
tossing a helmet from an ankle roll doesn't make sense.
sorry, dudes. i'm fearing the worst. a knee ligament or Achillies
hope i'm wrong and just hyperprognosticating.

TSN indicating its speculated to be a knee injury.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Nichols walked off with help but was putting pressure on both legs. That's a fairly decent sign.

Says to me it's not an achilles injury, but could still be a severe knee injury.

One thing that people describe when they have an ACL injury is a "popping" sensation, it's not really something you'd forget. If he had reconstructive surgery after his last ACL injury it's unlikely he'll have a favourable recovery time.

Edit: That said there's not really much else to do other than speculate on what the Bombers might do if he is out long term. Do they try trading for a guy that has a bit more experience than Streveler, maybe ride Streveler for better or worse?

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Says to me it's not an achilles injury, but could still be a severe knee injury.

One thing that people describe when they have an ACL injury is a "popping" sensation, it's not really something you'd forget. If he had reconstructive surgery after his last ACL injury it's unlikely he'll have a favourable recovery time.

yeah.
when guys get that angry, they know what's up.
which is why i'm prettttty uncool with what happened.
the positive? you have a back-up that had a great 1st game in the cfl.
you have 2 excellent runningbacks (well, 3).
this is a great O line.
receivers are pretty great.

so you're not asking a back-up to manufacture miracles. the bombers just need "competent" until nicholls is possibly back, whether that's in a week or...october? yikes.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We'll see. I don't like to get wrapped up in the guessing and panicking game. Doctors are evaluating him now. We'll know more tomorrow. It's worth noting that Nichols did have a significant injury history before arriving in Winnipeg (broken leg in 2012, ACL injury in 2013 that kept him out entire season).

Worst case scenario might be the Bombers have to sacrifice the future for the now. This team is too good to let a year get ruined. Pay up big time to get a guy like Franklin out of Toronto. Or pay a little less to get Bridge out of Sask or Adams out of Hamilton. Or maybe Chris Streveler is a lucky genius when he turned down NFL looks to sign with the Bombers.

Reactions: HannuJ

None

Feb 22, 2012
We'll see. I don't like to get wrapped up in the guessing and panicking game. Doctors are evaluating him now. We'll know more tomorrow. It's worth noting that Nichols did have a significant injury history before arriving in Winnipeg (broken leg in 2012, ACL injury in 2013 that kept him out entire season).

Worst case scenario might be the Bombers have to sacrifice the future for the now. This team is too good to let a year get ruined. Pay up big time to get a guy like Franklin out of Toronto. Or pay a little less to get Bridge out of Sask or Adams out of Hamilton. Or maybe Chris Streveler is a lucky genius when he turned down NFL looks to sign with the Bombers.

Yeah, not having any kind of restricted free agency on draft picks makes the CFL a pretty short term league. The Bombers let too many years slip away waiting for the team to come together and their best players would just leave after their 2-3 year contracts were up.

They definitely can't keep waiting for next year otherwise it'll just be a revolving door of losing their best players again and again, Jonathan Hefney, Jovon Johnson, Philip Hunt, Odell Willis, Brendon Labatte, Henoc Muamba, Chris Matthews to name a few that moved on to either try the NFL or became contributors for their next CFL team. And through all these seasons we've somehow managed to produce what seems like half the league's placekickers :laugh:
There's probably also countless others who I don't remember that were contributors that aged out waiting to become competitive, like probably wasting Clarence Denmark's most productive years when he was still a solid possession receiver.
It's been too many years of "there's always next season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad