Post-Game Talk: Blots @ Caps - ECF G3

Welp?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
What a strange series, no close games so far.

It sure looked like the 4th line logged a ton of TOI in the first two periods. I don't love that. The Caps have been winning on the road because they can't pick matchups and have to just play aggressive hockey. I wish they'd try it at Cap Center.

Reactions: Drakon

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
As a long-suffering fan, I know it's infuriating to watch the team throw a clunker, but it happens to all. They started unstructured and sloppy and spent the game playing catch up--but never quite got there. The PK sucked! Plus, Holtby was below average. Just wish the Caps could play all these games on the road. Disappointing for all the fans who showed up hoping for something better. Maybe Trotz should book them into a hotel for tomorrow night to simulate a road game. This game was the Caps being the Caps of old. They will recover.
Eh, I'm not convinced of that. I think the Caps had a stretch of catching lightning in a bottle that I'm not convinced Trotz can explain or had much of a part in. If it was something we saw relatively consistently through the season I might think differently. We'll see if they get it back or whether Trotz can coach them into effort, confidence, and crispness again.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

It sure looked like the 4th line logged a ton of TOI in the first two periods. I don't love that. The Caps have been winning on the road because they can't pick matchups and have to just play aggressive hockey. I wish they'd try it at Cap Center.
That's a really good point.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Connolly 11:52
Beagle 11:37
Stephenson 10:13
Chiasson 9:07
Djoos 9:04
Smith-Pelly 8:48
Burakovsky 7:26

Beagle won 7 of 13 draws. Kuznetsov was cleaned out again.

Some of that TOI was skewed by keeping the same six on the ice late. TBL isn't playing Sergachev or their fourth line a great deal either but the third line has to get more run than that. Not a massive deal but there needs to be more faith than that, particularly when it's not like Vrana & Oshie are consistently terribly effective either. Running the risk of having a run-down top six isn't a good way of operating in what suddenly could be a long, hard series. They need to be better across the board and that includes the coaches (and esp. overall PK performance).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Orpik being an anchor doesn't help Djoos get time (Orpik's overall TOI is boosted by the PK time), but Djoos really should have seen more ice tonight. He obviously had that one incredible shift in the offensive zone, and I feel that when the forwards aren't producing, sometimes you need to look to your defensemen to make some plays. Djoos and Orlov are the ones to do that, and Orlov was having an off night.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
They couldn’t have made it easy on themselves and had won tonight. Now they r in a must win for game 4. God r they fustrating. Nervous thursday coming up.

Yep. If they blow Thurs game every match here on out will be a must win. Winning the next game will keep their breathing room.

Reactions: Drakon

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
Oshie has to be injured. Strange game to attend. Fans were amped and confident prior to game starting and we started out hot outshooting them 9-3, but the crowd didn’t seem that into it. Crowd was loud as hell when we made it 3-1 and I was convicted we would tie it. Still convinced we take this series. Still cool to be at an ECF game in person for the first time in 20 years.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As someone who was there I didn't think they played that bad. TB def stepped up and did a great job of keeping the Caps away from rebounds but I really thought the Caps were the more dangerous team. Eh, what do I know?

Game four is always the most important game in almost every series I have ever watched, this series will be no different.

They were never gonna sweep and they just finished winning four in a row against two really good teams. Get the loss out of the way and move on.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

I feel like this was exactly it.

I know a lot of people have been throwing oodles of credit on Trotz for "changing" this post-season, and while I think he deserves a lot of recognition for some things, but I don't think playing youth or placing to much trust in veterans is one of them. He was forced to play the 5 rookies in game 6 against the Pens, to his credit he gave them time which was great but it wasn't his choice. Same with Vrana earlier, he had sat him before Burakovsky got hurt and then buried him on the 4th line till he was forced to play him more (and did it essentially kicking and screaming). As we saw tonight, he didn't play the young kids who all looked dangerous and engaged and instead relied on his older veterans which have time and time again shown they're not the thing that closes out games. Unless Trotz decides to lean more on the likes of Vrana, Stephenson, and Djoos I don't know if we win a game at home against Tampa. Their speed and tenacity is just to much. He needs to stop trying to match them and just play his team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was at the game tonight and I have a few main thoughts. First, they weren't nearly as crisp as they have been but they were still the better team. Tampa is so underwhelming at 5-on-5. If that was their best shot then I like our chances. I never once felt that like I have against Pittsburgh the past few years where it was clear they were superior in either/both talent and/or execution.

Second, Holtby was a total no-show. When you don't have your best stuff the team needs their goalie to step up and he did nothing of the sort. I don't think he made one important or difficult save and he never sparked the team or settled them down.

Third, stay out of the box. The Lightning remind me of the Oates Caps, i.e. absolutely no threat at 5-on-5 but lethal on the PP.

Overall, not a surprising result. The Caps were 10-4 this postseason heading into tonight and had won 4 straight against two very good teams. They were due for a clunker. The team wasn't good enough and Holtby did nothing to give them a chance to find their game. On to G4.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I attended and concur w/most of the comments above.
Just a reversal of games 1-2. Bolts PK is long term below average, but recently Caps PK vs. Bolts has been awful (yes small sample size).
The goals that made it 3-0 and of course 4-1 were back breakers. Vasy outplayed Holtby, but not by much. Maybe BHs worst game in the playoffs.

Re crowd, it was quite good. That was the first ECF playoff game in ~20 years. I think some have selective fond memories of how it was early in the Ovi era. That's because the future looked so bright and the Caps had not had such an exciting team in many years. So the atmosphere in 2008-10 was special and we remember it with some nostalgia.

Win game 4 and Caps are in very good shape :D

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Not too shocked, pretty much right in line with what I thought would happen. Came out a lil too laid back after winning 4 straight and being up 2-0. I’m not worried I really liked seeing the pushback at the end and all our players being visibly pissed throughout the game. I have to believe this game reignited that fire and they come out real strong in game 4. Also think we’ll see Nicky back. Not sure what to do with the lines now that they were pretty stagnant this game. Maybe keep them the same and have nick center chandler and Connolly. Say what you want but 10 has earned his spot and 65 has been invisible. If he’s not sniping he’s irrelevant. He’s not gonna make the 4th line better and it’s hard to spit this out but Chiasson has looked better.
Still got caps In 6, and sadly by laptop streak is over and am now 10-1 in the playoffs:(

Reactions: calicapsfan

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Stay out of that ****ing box.

Fortunately we are the least placed team that still playing, so we don't have the home ice :naughty:

If we lose the series it would be even more frustrating than the last 2 series loss to pens because at least it was a good hockey team 5 on 5

The refs pathetic. Are we playing in the conference final or a preseason game? At least those 2 ppg were on legit calls, soft but legit. Not like those 2 ghosts calls from g2

Well, it's time for Nicky to come back.
13 19 77
10 20 18

I would put Bura out even if Connolly doesn't have his 2 game goal streak

Reactions: RandyHolt

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Cocky, arrogant and complacent that was. Back down to earth. We were never going to sweep them, but this series just got a lot more competitive. We need to go back to what was working game one and two and reset. Up the compete level. We are still in the drivers seat.

Next game is massively important now. We win it and at 3-1 we're looking really good, 2-2 and it's advantage Bolts IMO....

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Special teams and Vasi playing up to speed was the reason for the loss tonight. I sure hate home games, but nothing to sweat about. Caps just need to adjust fire and come out blazing Thursday.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

They don't get the last change but the largely get the matchup that the want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad