Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler on Situation in Minnesota - Read Mod note in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Americans are so focused on race, it’s the only thing they see, think about and talk about. That’s holding them back and is quite racist.
What a bizarre statement. If your house is on fire, pretending it is not is insane. The only way to move into a post-racial world is to actually address systemic racism. Otherwise your house will continue to burn around you. Everything you see is s symptom of a systemic problem.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
What a bizarre statement. If your house is on fire, pretending it is not is insane. The only way to move into a post-racial world is to actually address systemic racism. Otherwise your house will continue to burn around you. Everything you see is s symptom of a systemic problem.

Only people that always see race say that. In places like where I am most people don’t see race. They just see people.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
You know nothing of me yet you call me privilege. :shakehead
I put it in quotes because it is a commentary on privilege, not about you necessarily. No offense intended.

Maybe I could put it another way. As a white person from an upper middle class background, despite a good education and open mind, it took me many years to understand how little I understood in the matter of privilege.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
it just seems to be an odd comment to make, with you being in GA. the few people I know in GA would probably dispute that, although maybe comparing to the general region maybe GA isn't so bad.

I’m curious what area they live in. I’ve lived in quite a few places within 30-35 mins of Atlanta. Some areas very diverse, some not so much. Has more to do with income then anything.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I put it in quotes because it is a commentary on privilege, not about you necessarily. No offense intended.

Maybe I could put it another way. As a white person from an upper middle class background, despite a good education and open mind, it took me many years to understand how little I understood in the matter of privilege.

That may have more to do with income then. Similar thing is true with my fiancé. I grew up somewhere between lower and middle class. Would vary since my dad was self employed. Most of the area I grew up in was like that. There was plenty of diversity around there but in the upper middle class and upper class area my fiancé grew up in not so much(her high school is pretty huge so there is still a big portion that is middle class and when I went to her brother's graduation two years ago there were a bunch of Hispanic graduates).

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
You know nothing of me yet you call me privilege. :shakehead

When reading his comment I believe he is talking about white privilege assuming you are white. I honestly have no idea.

They are many white people who don't see color so don't think the issue in their area is bad.
But ask someone of color and they will experienced racism from people in your community that do see color.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That’s a good point. I would also say that includes celebrities and corporations that suddenly support BLM.
I don't hold "suddenly supporting BLM" against celebrities or corporations. The fact is that until recent events being a proponent of BLM or similar movements in certain professions could be detrimental to your career. Look at how much shit Colin Kap took. I don't blame people for not wanting to risk their livelyhood to publicly support a movement that they may support privately.

Ofcourse you are right that there are many celebs/brands jumping to support the movement just because everyone else is doing it but I am giving folks the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't hold "suddenly supporting BLM" against celebrities or corporations. The fact is that until recent events being a proponent of BLM or similar movements in certain professions could be detrimental to your career. Look at how much shit Colin Kap took. I don't blame people for not wanting to risk their livelyhood to publicly support a movement that they may support privately.

Ofcourse you are right that there are many celebs/brands jumping to support the movement just because everyone else is doing it but I am giving folks the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise.

I found the “I take responsibility” PSA by that group of actors cringe worthy to watch.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I found the “I take responsibility” PSA by that group of actors cringe worthy to watch.

Me too. It was hard to watch all the way to the end with so many “I take responsibility” appearances, but I kept watching so I could see Justin...

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Listen, I get that you're selfish enough to not care about something unless it directly affects you, based on your 'shit happens' attitude you're portraying here, but just because you haven't seen what's been going on until recently does not mean some of us haven't.

To those of us who have been paying attention for years, this has just been the catalyst bringing all of this to light to everyone else. This didn't happen out of the blue, suddenly. Whether the momentum carries on remains to be seen.

I'll also disagree with your attitude that words without action are useless. Simply acknowledging issues and being willing to listen to those affected has an impact. Not everyone has the time, money or drive some of us have, but they can still make a difference in their own way.

Yep. Simply 'caring' isn't enough to solve issues, or heal.

But it's not a bad way to start.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yep. Simply 'caring' isn't enough to solve issues, or heal.

But it's not a bad way to start.

It’s the spring board to action hopefully.
Simply watching the world go by and criticizing the situation that moves you is not really helpful to those who you wish to help.
It is totally up to the individual to step up and make a difference.

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
I am sorry that you couldn't see any value in it.
My suspicion is that people who don't get the issues described in these two video and think they can ignore the discussion of systemic racism in North America are about to find out that the privilege to do so is over. Refusing to even grasp a basic understanding will leave you out of the conversation entirely about how society functions. You can choose to do so but you won't be able to stop others. It's too obvious to too many people now and denial isn't going to cut it.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
My suspicion is that people who don't get the issues described in these two video and think they can ignore the discussion of systemic racism in North America are about to find out that the privilege to do so is over. Refusing to even grasp a basic understanding will leave you out of the conversation entirely about how society functions. You can choose to do so but you won't be able to stop others. It's too obvious to too many people now and denial isn't going to cut it.

I can’t speak for others but I don’t think you get it.
All the recent awareness and talk about privilege is interesting.
Most people especially the 40+ crowd have seen a few things in the day and are totally aware of racism and it’s uglier sides.
I think it’s fair to say many people do not condone or practice racism.
I’d go as far to say many people are doing many charitable things, volunteering, speaking out and getting involved.
If you are of legal age and you are only now only discovering the horrors of racism as in the Floyd murder or the discovery that you being white as earth shattering then you have been unintentionally ignorant or incredibly self absorbed.
Racism and economic status are the worst discriminations there are.
There are 10’s of millions of whites in North America who definitely do not feel white privilege that’s a for sure.
Racism is yours and yours alone, you either are or not
A cheesy video doesn’t really contribute anything

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
If someone are interested they should watch Sam Harris take on this... Its a 2 hour long video on youtube but its Really good.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I am sorry that you couldn't see any value in it.

There's no value in it because you simply can't properly address this issue in under 4 minutes. She may well have some interesting things to say on the topic but to get those, you will have to buy her book. This to me is nothing more than a self-promoting sound bite to drive up sales to those desperate to be woke.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
There's no value in it because you simply can't properly address this issue in under 4 minutes. She may well have some interesting things to say on the topic but to get those, you will have to buy her book. This to me is nothing more than a self-promoting sound bite to drive up sales to those desperate to be woke.
Sounds like your up to some virtue signalling to me. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to someone who wants to keep their head buried in the sand. World's changing - time to get on the train or sit in the station grumbling about the good old days which weren't so good for a lot of people. Is that woke enough for you? By the way, did I use the slogans right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad