Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Wheeler's contract starts with a 7 and maybe an 8...8 for sure if he goes to another team in free agency. The highest producing RWer the last 4 or 5 years not counting P. Kane...
I'd go as high as 30m over 4 years with actual salary being 9.5m, 9m, 7.5m and 4m. This is a bargain. Anything less than a 7.5m cap hit is a bargain.

I'd seriously consider trading him if he wants 8m or more a year but the piece or pieces coming back would have to be NHL roster or NHL ready players. Maybe something around him and Stone from the Sens? Stone would sign a lot cheaper than Wheeler would.

I'd sign him for a 4 x 7.5 though I think it takes more term.
Jets should start talking with wheeler now to feel him out. Cannot go into the trade deadline without him signed. Can't afford a Tavares situation. I'd rather sign him this summer. 5 years max.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wheeler signs this offseason imo, running a bunch of 3 year contracts until he falls off would be nice, but i'm guessing he signs 5 or 6 years at Edit : 6-6.5

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I was doing the math quickly in my head, more around 6-6.5 for what I was thinking he'd do.

9 mil
8 mil
6 mil
4.5 mil
4.5 mil

Something like that.

I wouldn't even do that. 3 years or bye from me. You are starting to see GM's wise up with older player contracts. Three years seems to be the max term right now. Kovie, Marleu and Stastny are all good examples.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Anyone thinking a 91 point player will agree to 6m per needs to think again...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Which is exactly why you don't sign him this summer on the heels of a career season. One he likely doesn't come close to replicating.

Actually, there is no reason to believe he won't come close to those numbers again assuming his line mates don't change and his PP role and time remain similar.
So, get ready to pay him or trade him - and if it's the later, this might be the summer to do it (assuming we're on the heals of a career season).

I know - unlikely, but this is a situation that will cause mgment some stress over the next 12 months

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Actually, there is no reason to believe he won't come close to those numbers again assuming his line mates don't change and his PP role and time remain similar.
So, get ready to pay him or trade him - and if it's the later, this might be the summer to do it (assuming we're on the heals of a career season).

I know - unlikely, but this is a situation that will cause mgment some stress over the next 12 months

He could but I would say it is extremely unlikely. The year prior he only put up 74 points riding shot gun with an 86 point Mark Scheifele just to put things into perspective. His prior career high was 78 points.

Given his age it wouldn't be smart to bet and negotiate a contract based on his 91 points being the norm moving forward. The smart move imo is to wait and see how he performs through the first half of next season to see if his production falls back inline what he did the previous few seasons. But yes it will likely give Chevy nightmares for the next while.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
He's never hit 70 points without Scheifele as his C. What do his numbers look like without top line deployment? Players tend to hit the cliff around 34-35, which would only be year 2/3 of an extension. He's been remarkably durable so far, but that can change quickly as one leaves their physical prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some interesting numbers at 5 on 5:

He was 5th in P/60 among forwards behind Conner, Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry. Roslovic also had a higher rate of production at 5 on 5 but his sample is pretty small.

He was 7th among forwards in primary points per 60 behind Scheifele, Ehlers, Lowry, Laine, Conner, Hendricks (shudder). Roslovic and Stastny where also ahead of him in a small sample of games.

Couple that with with a low 50.17 CF% and there should be some warning signs here about his true impact 5 on 5 now and moving forward. It appears that he is getting to some extent carried at ES and his production is a tad inflated playing with line mates who produce at greater rate then him and who also drive more of the offense due to producing a greater percentage of primary points.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He could but I would say it is extremely unlikely. The year prior he only put up 74 points riding shot gun with an 86 point Mark Scheifele just to put things into perspective. His prior career high was 78 points.

Given his age it wouldn't be smart to bet and negotiate a contract based on his 91 points being the norm moving forward. The smart move imo is to wait and see how he performs through the first half of next season to see if his production falls back inline what he did the previous few seasons. But yes it will likely give Chevy nightmares for the next while.

I wasn't suggesting we would - I was suggesting we trade him based on his 91 pt performance.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Wheelers age is a factor here. Anything over 6.5 7 for him is too much. At some point u have to transition to the new core.. If Blake wants to be here he will take a team friendly deal, if not you move him.. Ain't no way im giving a 33 year old that much money or term.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Wheeler-to-date:
upload_2018-7-3_23-25-26.png

Wheeler's making all kinds of hay on the powerplay, but I'd see how this season goes before cutting any deals.

Reactions: JetsFan815

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Wheeler is the elephant in the room. TN doesn't want to talk about that one. Wheeler won't speak about it all year. It won't end well.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wheeler has the Jets in the exact same situation the Jets were in with Ladd.

Last year of your contract, one of your best players, not willing to extend at this time... end up going into the season without a new contract which ends up being a distraction for everyone.

Hate to say it, but as has been said in other threads.... offer Wheeler a healthy fair extension at this time, tell him he has until training camp to make a decision, and if the choice is to play the season without a new contract... then the Jets need to start shopping him around and get a good return before he walks after next season.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Wheeler has the Jets in the exact same situation the Jets were in with Ladd.

Last year of your contract, one of your best players, not willing to extend at this time... end up going into the season without a new contract which ends up being a distraction for everyone.

Hate to say it, but as has been said in other threads.... offer Wheeler a healthy fair extension at this time, tell him he has until training camp to make a decision, and if the choice is to play the season without a new contract... then the Jets need to start shopping him around and get a good return before he walks after next season.
Yay, we're trading Wheeler again!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Wheeler is the elephant in the room. TN doesn't want to talk about that one. Wheeler won't speak about it all year. It won't end well.
This makes no sense. Wheeler is the captain, team leader and has a special relationship with Maurice, Chevy and Scheifele, his acknowledged successor. He has a stable family situation in Wpg, is close to Minnesota, while getting to tweet Trump from the other side of the border. On that note, I could see him wanting to end his career in Minne, but not anywhere else in preference to Winnipeg, providing the Jets make a legitimate attempt to retain him.
As for money--I could see him taking 7x3, knowing that the Jets didn't match 6.5x3 for his buddy Stastny, in order to conserve cap space for the likes of him. If he wants more than that, I would wait for the season to play out to see if he maintains a 90 point pace.
Don't confuse the dysfunctional Tavares and Karlsson situations with Wheeler's--they are completely different.

Reactions: amethyst

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I think he signs a team friendly contract of 3-4 years @ 6 mil or so. He has made his money but wants a Cup and staying here for cheap is his best way to do it. Any competing team doesn’t have the cap to take what he would want in F/agency so I imagine he stays here on a discount.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He's making $5.6 million right now, so a 2 million per year raise is fair. I'd prefer 3 years, but the highest I'd go us 4 x $7.5 million. If Wheeler says no, then I'd trade him this summer and move on. We have an abundance of riches at winger, and we have our next captain in Scheifele. No need to cripple the franchise with another bad contract (Little).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad