Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don't know ... he's playing so well and seems to be getting better with age, I don't know how we don't re-sign him unless his contract demands are sky-high. Given his age, his play may start dropping off but for now he's clearly in his prime. Here's hoping he does what Schief and Little did and takes a bit of a hometown discount. We'll probably have to give him some serious term to make that happen, but considering how good he is now, he could be a more than serviceable third liner later in the contract.

In terms of numbers I don't know because I honestly don't pay enough attention to salaries around the league or to crunching numbers on what the Jets need to do in order to work with the salary cap.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I don't know ... he's playing so well and seems to be getting better with age, I don't know how we don't re-sign him unless his contract demands are sky-high. Given his age, his play may start dropping off but for now he's clearly in his prime. Here's hoping he does what Schief and Little did and takes a bit of a hometown discount. We'll probably have to give him some serious term to make that happen, but considering how good he is now, he could be a more than serviceable third liner later in the contract.

In terms of numbers I don't know because I honestly don't pay enough attention to salaries around the league or to crunching numbers on what the Jets need to do in order to work with the salary cap.

He's been one of the top wingers in hockey for the past five years, but that being said he'll be 33 when he's a free agent. I don't know enough about salaries either to make a guess, especially for someone getting up in age. I'm sure there are some comparables out there that guys will bring up. You also have to assume sooner or later we can't be locking up every single one of our players for $6M+ or we're going to be in trouble.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to keep him but the reality is that with the young talent being inked, there may not be room for his salary. Laine's & Connor will have new deals commence that year (Mason + Myers' deals done) Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Trouba, Lowry, Copp & Armia will also ink new deals before then. In my estimation, the Jets will only have 5M to sign him unless they trade Perrault by then.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would like to see what the cap will be prior to inking him.

As of right now id want a max term of 3 years. 7.5 times 3 is my offer, he likely can get more elsewhere but that would be Whatcom comfortable doing.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Can't see Chevy playing hardball with wheeler. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he got a 5 year extension at 6 million per

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Wheeler's contract expires in 2019. We only have two defensemen currently under contract for 2019-20: Byfuglien and Kulikov. So first, we should ask who are the other four guys that will play defense for us, and what are their cap numbers going to be. Lots of different scenarios there, leading to more or less available cap space. This season's performance might impact Chevy's decisions.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There are so many variables for both sides. The Jets need to know what happens with all their RFA's

Both sides need to evaluate where the cap will be and team success will obviously impact the decision as well.

Term will be a sticking point regardless IMO

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If he doesnt sign for 6-6.5m for 5 years, trade him this offseason.
We would get a kings ransom for him.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
At his age and skill level, I'd go cup hunting. But I'd love to keep him. How front loaded can you make a contract? Might be able to do a five year one that peters out. But then someone else will have to go unsigned....gah!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Trading him in the off season for young up and comers, is not a bad idea--I like it :nod:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler to TB for Sergachev, Foote, Killorn, 1st round pick in 2018?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think Wheeler wants to win a cup.
Signing a team friendly deal with the Jets increases the teams chance of winning said cup.
This is his team.
But money and term will get in the way.
An increase in the cap would of course make all of this a but easier to do.

Come on you sh$tty southern franchises... pull your weight and increase revenues!!!

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Great idea! Let's trade off our captain, the guy who went through the leanest years while in his prime because he believed in the owners vision and commitment. What a great signal for our young core.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There are so many variables for both sides. The Jets need to know what happens with all their RFA's

Both sides need to evaluate where the cap will be and team success will obviously impact the decision as well.

Term will be a sticking point regardless IMO

Both term and AAV will be tough. I would prefer to keep the term short but that will mean a higher AAV which might simply not be possible. It might actually work out to be smart to give a little more term in order to keep the AAV down. 5x6 might be better than 4x7.5 - for example. Same total amounts.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think Wheelers time here will come to an end in 2019 and the C will be passed to Scheifele. Probably gets moved at the deadline like Ladd was. With the young players the Jets have on the wings it doesn't really seem feasible that they keep Wheeler with the salary and term he'll be demanding.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
The comparison to Ladd isn't really that close imo. Wheeler is a top 5 right winger in the league and a heart and soul player. Ladd was barely an adequate second liner here

Reactions: libertarian

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Message sending works both ways. The team has to be fair to him but what message does it send if he refuses something reasonable. To the fans? To the other players?
What does it say if he asks for something unreasonable and gets it?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He just turned 31 in August and shows no signs of decline, so he's got some years left in him still.
This discussion might be a bit premature, as the short-term fortunes of the Jets will influence both sides. If the Jets don't make the playoffs, I believe Wheeler will not sign another contract here. His kids will be young enough to start a new life in a new city with a winning franchise.
OTOH, if the Jets continue their reg season success and have a decent playoff run, I can see a 5-year contract at $6.5 , with the promise of a job with the organization afterwards. He'll be close to home, yet safely out of the reach of Trump and have stability, security and predictability for his family.

(And if Wheeler signs as a UFA with a winning Jets franchise for $6.5, with Scheif at 6.1 and Ehlers at 6, what do you think will be going through Laine's mind....?)

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
Message sending works both ways. The team has to be fair to him but what message does it send if he refuses something reasonable. To the fans? To the other players?
What does it say if he asks for something unreasonable and gets it?
Well let's hold off on calling his contract demands unreasonable until we at least hear they are having troubles coming to terms haha.

I think it is incredibly unlikely the jets force him to move on, and it would only happen if he truly asks for something unreasonable and does not budge. The way he poured his heart into every game for a losing team is something I think ownership truly respects and they will reward that as much as they can without damaging our chances at the cup. The only way I can see him asking himself out of town is if he feels the team is not taking steps forward towards the cup. He clearly wants to win, and out of respect I do think the Jets would honour that too. That being said, I would be incredibly surprised if we haven't taken clearly noticeable steps towards the cup by that time (and really heart-broken).

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I love Wheeler but I have no idea what the best move is. I'm astounded how productive he is given how often he struggles handling the puck.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I hope Wheeler doesn't hit a wall at some point due to aging. We should re-sign him IMO, although hopefully not for too much. He's a great captain to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad