Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Paying Wheeler more than Schief is an overpay. Schief is a #- centre. You don't have Wheeler you have Lanie or next winger up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Great idea! Let's trade off our captain, the guy who went through the leanest years while in his prime because he believed in the owners vision and commitment. What a great signal for our young core.
Chevy did it once already...

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
If you mean Ladd, I think he went way too far in trying to sign him. He only flipped him after Ladd chose max bucks over the Jets. Not the same at all. The post I responded to was about flipping him for max value without making an attempt to get a deal done.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Honestly we got an amazing contract out of Scheife, another brilliant contract signed with Ehlers signature on it and Little's addition was not unreasonable. Big Buff is the only one I find a little $$ in comparison to other recent signings from team members.
Wheeler is still the best player on the ice for the moment, no offense to Scheif ; I can't see him not being offered a min 5 year contract at 6 million+ and that being cheap.
I think the only way he moves on to another team is if we fail to make the playoffs this year or Chevy gets offered something ludicrous.
The man wants to win and who can blame him.
My 2 cents and yes I still have pennies in a jar.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you mean Ladd, I think he went way too far in trying to sign him. He only flipped him after Ladd chose max bucks over the Jets. Not the same at all. The post I responded to was about flipping him for max value without making an attempt to get a deal done.
I think they'll try to get a reasonable deal done, but I also think Wheeler will try to cash in for his final contract, just as Ladd did.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I think they'll try to get a reasonable deal done, but I also think Wheeler will try to cash in for his final contract, just as Ladd did.

I don't think so. He's close to Minnesota which is his home state. His family likes it here and he wants to win here.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It's an interesting situation as there very few players who are as good as Wheeler at 33 so the list of comaparables is small. Joe Thornton signed a 3 year contract @ AAV of 7 million at 32, then another 3 year contract at the AAV of 6.75 at 35. That is probably the ballpark of the deal that the Jets would need to offer to get Wheeler to consider re-signing if they don't intend to give him term. NHL teams have smartened up, I doubt teams will offer term to a player at 33 even one as good as Wheeler, if the Jets can look at their cap situation and find a way to offer him big money for a 3 year term then I think they have a good shot at retaining him.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
To keep Wheeler and sign Trouba, JoMo, Laine and Conner, Buff has to go. Trade Buff this off season for whatever we can get for him and sign Trouba, JoMo, Laine for long term deals and then work with Wheeler to keep him here. The young core has to come first before we resign Wheeler. All that said I'd love to see Wheeler end his career in Winnipeg.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think we are okay if the cap goes up a bit. If it goes up 5% a year, we will be fine. We have about 22.5m in cap space to sign
Trouba 7
Morrissey 3
Helle 4.75
Lowry 2.25
Poolman 1.25
Enstrom 2.25
Armia/Dano/Petan/Tanev 4
this is 24.5 so the cap would have to raise the next year.

The following year we would have about 17m to sign
Laine 7.75
Wheeler 6.5
Copp 1.25
Connor 3.5
Lemieux 1.25
and Comrie (from the year before) 1

Again, the cap would have to go up a bit for the team to make it.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Is it possible they are showcasing Wheels for a trade and that is why we have the lineup we have? It would have the added benefit of making Laine's contract perhaps a bit cheaper?

I don't know anything about this stuff though so just thinking out loud.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Is it possible they are showcasing Wheels for a trade and that is why we have the lineup we have? It would have the added benefit of making Laine's contract perhaps a bit cheaper?

So you think that a young team in win-now mode is going to trade their top player and diminish the performance of one of the best young players in the league to keep his salary down in the future?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
So you think that a young team in win-now mode is going to trade their top player and diminish the performance of one of the best young players in the league to keep his salary down in the future?

I'm entertaining the possibility, especially if there are salary cap issues ahead for this team and the player in question is 33yo. Judging from your answer it does not seem like a likely scenario in your opinion at least. The fact that he is one of the best players on the team (and is playing with the best center of the team) could bring in a pretty big haul and relieve some of the cap pressure?

As i understand, the Jets are going to have an abundance of wingers and Chef is going to be the next captain so it could make sense. There is nothing to support stats-wise that the current line-up is the most optimal one to have and I'm having a real hard time just chalking everything up to incompetence (even though maybe I should).

As I said, I don't know and am just thinking out loud. I could be completely out to lunch.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It's an interesting situation as there very few players who are as good as Wheeler at 33 so the list of comaparables is small. Joe Thornton signed a 3 year contract @ AAV of 7 million at 32, then another 3 year contract at the AAV of 6.75 at 35. That is probably the ballpark of the deal that the Jets would need to offer to get Wheeler to consider re-signing if they don't intend to give him term. NHL teams have smartened up, I doubt teams will offer term to a player at 33 even one as good as Wheeler, if the Jets can look at their cap situation and find a way to offer him big money for a 3 year term then I think they have a good shot at retaining him.

Right, I think that would be the preferable approach for Wheeler. Shorter term, high AAV and then revisit down the road based on where the team is at and how Wheeler is holding up.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Good points above. In terms of clearing out the Atlanta core, we should do it:

1. Buff asap to afford the young guys
2. Enstrom when his contract is up
3. Little - just re-signed, so once roslo is ready. I'd prefer he stay if his game returns.
4. Wheeler - last resort

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Paying Wheeler more than Schief is an overpay. Schief is a #- centre. You don't have Wheeler you have Lanie or next winger up.
Just to be clear, Scheifele's contract started last season whereas Wheeler's would not start until 2019-20.
Using a 5% escalator, Scheifele's equivalent AAV in '19-20 contract dollars would be over $7.1M. Also, Wheeler will be a UFA whereas Scheifele was coming off his ELC.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It really isn't about how good Wheeler is now, it's about how well sonyou project him to be ages 33 and up.

As many have stated, very few players maintain an elite level of performance through there mid to late 30's so you need to be cognizant of what you pay a player through that age range. I think Wheeler either gets a short term at relatively high AAV or he gets more term at a relatively friendly AAV if he is to remain here.

The Jets reallyvcant afford to give him really high AAV for a lengthy term. Not only will he likely not be worth It, but it hurts our ability to retain our young talent hitting our prime.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Any team that wants to win and make the playoffs does not trade away a player who is currently top 5 in the league in scoring.

Also this narrative that Jets management is purposely keeping Laine away from Scheifele to keep Laine value down to me is silly. Scheifele and Wheeler are a top 3 duo in the league and other then goaltending are by far the most important reason the Jets are getting some success this season. Laine will get his chance with Scheifele soon enough and if they can build the chemistry that Chef and wheeler has now in the future they could be the best duo in the league, but what is the hurry? Laine is only 19 and still has a lot to learn to be a complete hockey player. I absolutely believe he will get there but it may take some time. If Laine is as good as many believe he is he will get there without Scheifele's help. Hell the kid is on a 5 game scoring streak so he is producing right now.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Any team that wants to win and make the playoffs does not trade away a player who is currently top 5 in the league in scoring.

Also this narrative that Jets management is purposely keeping Laine away from Scheifele to keep Laine value down to me is silly. Scheifele and Wheeler are a top 3 duo in the league and other then goaltending are by far the most important reason the Jets are getting some success this season. Laine will get his chance with Scheifele soon enough and if they can build the chemistry that Chef and wheeler has now in the future they could be the best duo in the league, but what is the hurry? Laine is only 19 and still has a lot to learn to be a complete hockey player. I absolutely believe he will get there but it may take some time. If Laine is as good as many believe he is he will get there without Scheifele's help. Hell the kid is on a 5 game scoring streak so he is producing right now.

Just to be clear, I am examining possibilities, not saying something is happening for sure.

I'm not saying the trade happens anytime soon. Maybe in the off-season? Also, not one person from the organization has said they are looking to contend, only to appear in the playoffs.

Scheifele and Wheeler are getting it done offensively, no question. They are however pretty bad defensively.

Have a look at their numbers from last year. As good as Scheifele and Wheeler are together, they have NOTHING on how good Scheifele and Laine were together. Scheifele's as well as Laine's production takes a massive hit when separated, and that is not a narrative, that is a cold hard fact. The defensive side offers no explanations for this either.

What is the hurry? Did I imply there is a hurry? I'm just wondering what is up with the f*d up coaching. I just don't see incompetence being the main driver of this for some reason. Especially now that the team is winning through sheer skill of the roster.

I hereby proclaim my newest tin-foil-hat-conspiracy: Wheeler will be traded in the off-season. We will see Scheif and Laine together if things get bad enough that a playoff spot is in jeopardy, but otherwise the team continues with this lineup. If the team makes the playoffs, Laine and Scheif will not play a single game separated.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good points above. In terms of clearing out the Atlanta core, we should do it:

1. Buff asap to afford the young guys
2. Enstrom when his contract is up
3. Little - just re-signed, so once roslo is ready. I'd prefer he stay if his game returns.
4. Wheeler - last resort

I don't see why so many have huge issues with Buff and his contract.

While he wasn't great defensively last season he posted 50 plus points so he was ok value for it.

This year he's playing much better all around hockey and is once again trending towards 55ish points. That' value for the money we are paying him. He' no bargain but he isn' overpaid either. I'm quite happy to keep a very good offensive defenseman that has a positive impact on 5 on 5 for the next 3 and 3/4 years.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

And he'll do it again -
Chevy will look after the young core - Wheeler is expendable.
As noted earlier, Scheif is the next capt and possibly earlier than planned if Wheeler is looking for a big payday in Wpg.

I'm a wheels fan but I also realize that his game is all about speed, work and more work - if / when he loses a step, he will not be nearly as effective. Some one will over pay him - I hope it's not us

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He'll need to take a "home team" discount to stay for any term. 5.5 for five years, or 6.5 for three years. If the Jets don't win the Cup next year - but come close - he'll be more likely to stick around.

He's simply not going to rack up more 90-point seasons... not at his age. If he gets 80 next year, 70 the year after and 60 the year after that, we should be happy.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler's contract starts with a 7 and maybe an 8...8 for sure if he goes to another team in free agency. The highest producing RWer the last 4 or 5 years not counting P. Kane...
I'd go as high as 30m over 4 years with actual salary being 9.5m, 9m, 7.5m and 4m. This is a bargain. Anything less than a 7.5m cap hit is a bargain.

I'd seriously consider trading him if he wants 8m or more a year but the piece or pieces coming back would have to be NHL roster or NHL ready players. Maybe something around him and Stone from the Sens? Stone would sign a lot cheaper than Wheeler would.

I'd sign him for a 4 x 7.5 though I think it takes more term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad