GDT: Blackhawks @ Oilers 12/12/23 Espn 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
-Bedard scoring and taking a loss. No complaints from me.
-Vlasic is no fluke and a top 4 guy for a long time.
-McDavid is the best player I have ever watched.
-Reichel does absolutely nothing shift in shift out
-Seth Jones keeps this team somewhat competitive. The other defenseman cant handle top lines especially McDavid.
-Beauvillier doesnt do anything
-Foligno and Dickinson were solid again.
lol

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I actually do agree that Seth Jones does more than people think. When you watch the games, look at how shitty his match-ups always are and watch the little things he does to break up plays, etc.

Do I think he is worth his contract? Probably not, but maybe on a good team he would thrive a little more. No one will really look all that good on this team. But, I do believe he is far from hurting the Hawks in my eyes. Appreciate you, Sethediah Jones.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Pretending like our best defenseman doesnt make us more competitive with him playing vs him out is insane.

The contract hate has absolutely soiled some posters brains. The contract does not matter even a tiny bit this year. Not at all.
Our best defenseman played last night. They weren't any less or more competitive as a team last night. It's a shitty team, with him, or without him.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Our best defenseman played last night. They weren't any less or more competitive as a team last night. It's a shitty team, with him, or without him.
Zaitsev and roos were not good Seth and KK would be a upgrade. Crevi and phillips were both fine.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I'm laughing at the notion that we were somewhat competitive with him in the lineup. We weren't.

The hawks have been competitive in most games. Id say 80-85% of games they have won or been competitive.

Avs, Columbus, Coyotes, and Wings were duds. Then last night.

They were not last night.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The hawks have been competitive in most games. Id say 80-85% of games they have won or been competitive.

Avs, Columbus, Coyotes, and Wings were duds. Then last night.

They were not last night.
You can't point to a single stat that verifies this.

Last 7 games
vs. Jets CF% 43.16 ||| xGF% 52.3 ||| HDCF% 42.86
vs. Wild CF%34.78 ||| xGF% 33.53 ||| HDCF% 26.67
vs. Preds CF% 43.14% ||| xGF% 43.77 ||| HDCF% 57.14
vs. Ducks CF% 37.08 ||| xGF% 35.33 ||| HDCF% 46.67
vs. Blues CF% 40.59 ||| xGF% 40.51 ||| HDCF% 35.00
vs. Caps CF% 48.86 ||| xGF% 38.93 ||| HDCF% 27,78
vs. Oilers CF% 40.82 ||| xGF% 39.59 ||| HDCF% 30.43 (No Seth Jones)

Where exactly did they get worse without Jones? Every game is pretty similar in the advanced stats. If you just look at shots alone, they were even with the Oilers at even strength with 22 each. Last night was one of the better games the coach and players thought they played, did you even watch the game, or just look at the final score?

“It sucks because it stings losing, and losing 4-1, it seems like we might’ve gotten dominated,” forward Jason Dickinson said. “But I really didn’t feel like we were.”

Added coach Luke Richardson: “I thought we did a pretty good job. If you take out the goal that went off Zaitsev’s stick and then [the Oilers’] power-play goal, we were right in that game.”

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Last 7 games

Where exactly did they get worse without Jones? Every game is pretty similar in the advanced stats. If you just look at shots alone, they were even with the Oilers at even strength with 22 each. Last night was one of the better games the coach and players thought they played, did you even watch the game, or just look at the final score?

“It sucks because it stings losing, and losing 4-1, it seems like we might’ve gotten dominated,” forward Jason Dickinson said. “But I really didn’t feel like we were.”

Added coach Luke Richardson: “I thought we did a pretty good job. If you take out the goal that went off Zaitsev’s stick and then [the Oilers’] power-play goal, we were right in that game.”
Pretty insane quote considering we also have a powerplay unit.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

Last 7 games

I watched the game. They were completely outclassed after the 1st period. Edmonton outshot them 21-9. I know your stuck on this Jones thing so there is no use in arguing.

This was one of 5 games that have lost by 3 or more goals the whole season. One being a 1 goal game against Boston until late in the 3rd.

CF% can change based on game score just like hits changes by puck possession. Edmonton up 3 goals with a full period to go changes the entire complexion of the game.

Saying subbing in Roos for Seth Jones doesnt make you less competitive is an indictment on your own intelligence.

FYI Time On Ice

Zaitsev 18.43
Phillips 21.24
Crevier 16.43
Roos 11.25

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I guess I was wrong about who was destined to be this year's favourite whipping boy. I had chosen Perry at the beginning of the season but I suppose the overpaid Seth was a more obvious choice.
The acquisition and signing were both major mistakes by incompetent Stan but to try and blame Seth Jones for all that is wrong in this org is laughable: to claim Hawks young defense corps is better team with him on the sidelines is just as laughable.... but you guys will keep on whipping. Jones isn't going to take that contract back or is he going to repay the money.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I watched the game. They were completely outclassed after the 1st period. Edmonton outshot them 21-9. I know your stuck on this Jones thing so there is no use in arguing.

This was one of 5 games that have lost by 3 or more goals the whole season. One being a 1 goal game against Boston until late in the 3rd.

CF% can change based on game score just like hits changes by puck possession. Edmonton up 3 goals with a full period to go changes the entire complexion of the game.

Saying subbing in Roos for Seth Jones doesnt make you less competitive is an indictment on your own intelligence.

FYI Time On Ice

Zaitsev 18.43
Phillips 21.24
Crevier 16.43
Roos 11.25
In order to be less competitive without a player, you have to be competitive in the first place. And using last nights game as an example of us being so is just silly, considering it was pretty much the same as the last 7+ games we have played. Of course the team is better with a middle pairing Dman in the lineup vs. an AHL player, no one is arguing that.

I guess I was wrong about who was destined to be this year's favourite whipping boy. I had chosen Perry at the beginning of the season but I suppose the overpaid Seth was a more obvious choice.
The acquisition and signing were both major mistakes by incompetent Stan but to try and blame Seth Jones for all that is wrong in this org is laughable: to claim Hawks young defense corps is better team with him on the sidelines is just as laughable.... but you guys will keep on whipping. Jones isn't going to take that contract back or is he going to repay the money.
Literally not one person is doing this.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
In order to be less competitive without a player, you have to be competitive in the first place. And using last nights game as an example of us being so is just silly, considering it was pretty much the same as the last 7+ games we have played. Of course the team is better with a middle pairing Dman in the lineup vs. an AHL player, no one is arguing that.

"at least Seth Jones keeps this team somewhat competitive"

This is what your arguing. Just so you know.

Are you now claiming that the blackhawks have not been competitive this entire year? Your twisting up your own semantics argument.

And then you say the team is better with Jones while also trying to argue that they arent lol Its time for you to move on.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Perhaps not literally (how can it be. There's obviously so much room for improvement on this team, one doesn't know where to start). The expanding bandwagon to whine about Seth's play makes him the official whipping boy and unless Hawks eat a good portion of that contract we are stuck with him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
"at least Seth Jones keeps this team somewhat competitive"

This is what your arguing. Just so you know.

Are you now claiming that the blackhawks have not been competitive this entire year? Your twisting up your own semantics argument.

And then you say the team is better with Jones while also trying to argue that they arent lol Its time for you to move on.
No, you just don't understand how to read posts. I laughed at your post, as if the team has been competitive at all over the last bunch of games. And then I said that I'm not sure how you can even claim what you said when they had the same terrible team stats in the EDM game as the previous 7 games.

Over time, yes, the team is worse without Jones. But using the EDM game as an example is silly because it was pretty identical to the handful of games they played previous to losing him.

And no, outside of the first 10 or so games, this team hasn't been competitive at all, outside of the odd game here or there.

Perhaps not literally (how can it be. There's obviously so much room for improvement on this team, one doesn't know where to start). The expanding bandwagon to whine about Seth's play makes him the official whipping boy and unless Hawks eat a good portion of that contract we are stuck with him.
He hasnt been good, and definitely not compared to what he makes and what we traded for him. He's terrible on the PP, and has zero goals.

It's imperative that he becomes a good dman, or yes, we are stuck with him. Saying it doesn't matter is silly, we could get something for him if he was somewhat of a competant top pairing dman, but he isn't.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Seth Jones is a good hockey player, he just isn’t a 9.5 million dollars worth player. The criticism is way over the top but hey, whatever. Like someone said above, he was offered the contract and took it. I know if some in here were offered that contract they would have said they didn’t think they deserved that much and taken less, but I guess Jones is just selfish………

Reactions: Giovi and BobbyJet

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Seth Jones is a good hockey player, he just isn’t a 9.5 million dollars worth player. The criticism is way over the top but hey, whatever. Like someone said above, he was offered the contract and took it. I know if some in here were offered that contract they would have said they didn’t think they deserved that much and taken less, but I guess Jones is just selfish………
Exactly... to claim that the young D corps is better without Seth Jones than with him is rather absurd.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
And it doesnt matter right now that he makes 9.5. AT ALL. Down the line yes it may matter but this year. It just doesnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad