GDT: BLackhaks @ Golden Knights 9:00PM CT NSCH - L

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think he is defensively responsible, actually has some skill, and can skate. I am by no means saying he is special or anything close but longterm I could see him being a solid NHL 4th line player. The last sentence fragment describes a lot of 4th line players but he has tangible NHL skills that could be average to slightly above average.

His biggest issue is that he can't finish and seems to make a good play then just miss on completing the next step. My though process is that at some point he will put that piece together.

If they trade him I would not be disappointed in the slightest. I do think he will return a 4th round pick or so it might be worth it.

Some folks have overrated Jurco from day one. He's gotta go. Bring in a kid who at least has the potential to do more than be average defensively (and that's all he is. Nothing more. He can't put the puck in the ocean and isn't much of a passer). I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt last year and to begin this season, as he was coming off a rather serious injury.... but that has passed.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Are y'all high? Jurco fulfills his role *perfectly* in Quenneville's "system": Cycle, cycle, cycle, can't score.

Any GM willing to cough up more than a 7th for him should be fired on the spot.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes. When compared to the 10 best NHL teams, the Hawks roster lacks talent. Couple that with injuries, coaching and massive drop offs.

This team lacks scoring depth, centers who can win a face off, D who can play D and D who can provide goals and anything resembling a back up NHL goalie.

You can't effectively judge talent when the coach can't get the lineup correct and his systems put the players at a disadvantage. Do I think they have top talent? Absolutely not but I would put them in the 8-15 range because there are areas where improvement is needed.

It is like judging the quality of headphones except one is not plugged in and the other is not.

Talent is not why this team is where they are at. It is coaching, systems, and injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: jls24

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yes. When compared to the 10 best NHL teams, the Hawks roster lacks talent. Couple that with injuries, coaching and massive drop offs.

This team lacks scoring depth, centers who can win a face off, D who can play D and D who can provide goals and anything resembling a back up NHL goalie.

You realize that the best two teams in the NHL are in the bottom 10 in face-offs, right? TB is 29th and LV is 22nd. Face-offs have value and have always said this (I am not JD) but your claim that draws drive wins does not match the numbers. Kampf and Toews are above 51%, AA is 46%, and Schmaltz is 40%. Schmaltz is the only one with an issue. You trash possession numbers then try and use numbers to backup your claim? Come on.

D scoring is more of an issue with the PP and offensive zone systems than anything. Again, a coaching issue.

D who can't play D? Q consistently put 42 and 44 into situations where he should have been using 5/6/2 etc. This is a coaching issue.

I have no argument that the backups have not been good enough but that issue is exponentially worse because of Crow's injury.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Some folks have overrated Jurco from day one. He's gotta go. Bring in a kid who at least has the potential to do more than be average defensively (and that's all he is. Nothing more. He can't put the puck in the ocean and isn't much of a passer). I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt last year and to begin this season, as he was coming off a rather serious injury.... but that has passed.

He is a 4th liner. People instantly thought Panik but Jurco is not as skilled. I like Jurco but I also prefer to have a 4th line that can matchup defensively. If the team I am building has a 4th line speed/scoring line then he is not my pick. Make sense?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I see Aucoin all the time now and he still, even if just for a second, reminds of me of very dark days in Blackhawkdom.
Do your kids play hockey in the area? Aucoin and Daze coach squirts and mites for the Chicago Hawks (Darien) and I see them all the time as well. We played Daze's team a couple of weeks ago.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I don’t care how much heart or effort Bouma puts out. It is barely enough for AHL level and he has no reason to be in the NHL. I have no problem with Wingles on the 4th line. Jurco is just another lost player. Enough with the flipping reclaim projects.

Reactions: LDF

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ I just hope that Duclair isn't another example of a reclaim project that won't work out. The kid has talent but it's whats between his ears that may hold him back. Q has gifted him a line one assignment pretty much since he first arrived, which probably went on for too long (IMO), then sat him for a game when the line and team were struggling. Q is a piece of work alright. You just never know how he will react to new acquisitions.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hello darkness my old friend ....
It's nice to dance with you again ....
Hey I like it here! It's super fun to look forward to a high pick for a change.
Oh ... and I'm with BK .. Murphy is a good top 4 D and Saad for Panarin was a necessary gamble,
as both the Murphy and Saad pick ups helped with the cap going forward. It is the price of success.
Currently sitting in 9th worse position with Florida and Detroit with multiple games in hand ...
most excellent. !!!!

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Don't think this was mentioned but I thought Saad had his best game in a few months last night. Too little, too late I know but at least he was engaged for a change.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don't think the 'hawks are in a position where Bouma/Wingels/Jurco, etc. are the difference between success and failure.

The 'hawks position right now is a Vezina-level goalie is the difference between barely successful and epic failure. The 4th line is not going to affect that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
/\ I just hope that Duclair isn't another example of a reclaim project that won't work out. The kid has talent but it's whats between his ears that may hold him back. Q has gifted him a line one assignment pretty much since he first arrived, which probably went on for too long (IMO), then sat him for a game when the line and team were struggling. Q is a piece of work alright. You just never know how he will react to new acquisitions.

The sooner he gets away from Q the better. IF JC is the next coach he should help Duclair from the little I have seen from how he likes teams to play (5 games so far this season).

The talent is there for sure.

Don't think this was mentioned but I thought Saad had his best game in a few months last night. Too little, too late I know but at least he was engaged for a change.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad