Post-Game Talk: Bison Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You also have to take into account that man games lost are documented injuries. They're not counted if you play.

Even though they played every playoff game, it's not exactly a secret that Copp, Panarin, and Strome could barely walk this time last year. To make matters worse, they were a line, and the xGF% they put up at even strength attested to where their health was at in the playoffs.

I think there's a lot fewer guys obviously nursing on this team right now.

Reactions: egelband

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think there's a lot fewer guys obviously nursing on this team right now.
So the most obvious is Kane. Outside of that, Lindgren hasn't shown me cause for concern with his shoulder (but he takes a beating regardless of current injury status).

Kreider has/had some kind of foot injury, so he's probably been pushing at 75%. Trouba had something nagging at the beginning of the season, but he seems fine now.

I do think there has definitely been an reliance on a little rope-a-dope hockey to get through things and not to overdo it. We kind of see some instances where they push. We saw by team game 102 last year that they were on empty. We're seeing this with a much more balanced TOI distribution since the team clinched.

Biggest is Trocheck, who is averaging 3:30 less ice time per game. Trouba is next (3:11) and then Mika (2:33). Fox is playing 2 min less on average. Kreider is down 1:30. Kids are eating up more ice time and of course adding Tarasenko/Kane/Mikkola has created depth to eat into those minutes.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So the most obvious is Kane. Outside of that, Lindgren hasn't shown me cause for concern with his shoulder (but he takes a beating regardless of current injury status).

Kreider has/had some kind of foot injury, so he's probably been pushing at 75%. Trouba had something nagging at the beginning of the season, but he seems fine now.

I do think there has definitely been an reliance on a little rope-a-dope hockey to get through things and not to overdo it. We kind of see some instances where they push. We saw by team game 102 last year that they were on empty. We're seeing this with a much more balanced TOI distribution since the team clinched.

Biggest is Trocheck, who is averaging 3:30 less ice time per game. Trouba is next (3:11) and then Mika (2:33). Fox is playing 2 min less on average. Kreider is down 1:30. Kids are eating up more ice time and of course adding Tarasenko/Kane/Mikkola has created depth to eat into those minutes.
I think thats really the big thing. The kids are up 1-2 minutes more on average, and they look just as strong and everyone is getting hot at the right time.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Genuinely amazing.

Just to add to your point, we have a defenseman with 71 points and a lot of us feel like he actually disappointed a bit lmfao.
that's indicative of what a bunch of brats this fanbase can be with the few truly amazing career Rangers they get.

he's still a top 3 D in the world by literally every measure even if some shit dmen like Karlsson and Morrissey pull career years out of their asses.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Winning the division is meaningless. Most of the Cup winners since the lockout were pedestrian regular season teams and I still think Boston is gonna find out why the hard way.

I think we've actually played this season like a veteran team that wants to win the Cup. I don't think this is all luck:

We rested early when a lot of guys get hurt, won a shit ton of games in the middle, and rested late when a lot of guys get hurt.

Regular season "statements" literally don't accomplish anything other than appeasing fans on the internet.

So much this. Sure it's nice to look like a team like Carolina who seemingly has their shit together every game, but regular season is ultimately meaningless as long as you get into the playoffs and play well there. Then when the time comes, teams like Carolina (and I'm hoping the Bruins and Devils this year) don't have another gear to match everyone else upping theirs. Meanwhile, Tampa won their second cup and went to the finals while sleepwalking the regular season (and also cheating the cap).

The real season starts April 17 and this team knows that.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think thats really the big thing. The kids are up 1-2 minutes more on average, and they look just as strong and everyone is getting hot at the right time.
It's huge going into the 2nd season. Trocheck and Mika are going to be fresh. We did not have this kind of a 4th line last season, to eat those minutes and take some tough matchups away from Zibanejad. Gallant could line match if he wants to, he can also just roll the lines.

I still say they should sit Fox for Thursday and just roll everyone else evenly, maybe even just give Harpur 25 minutes. I do also wonder if they'll play Igor the full 60. Probably want to get Halak some run in the game as well.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Why should they? They have a better away record. If they play the Devils it's going to matter even less.
That's another point for those who rather face the Canes in the 1st round.

With the Devils, we'll have home ice advantage for all 7 games if necessary. LOL!

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Winning the division is meaningless. Most of the Cup winners since the lockout were pedestrian regular season teams and I still think Boston is gonna find out why the hard way.

I think we've actually played this season like a veteran team that wants to win the Cup. I don't think this is all luck:

We rested early when a lot of guys get hurt, won a shit ton of games in the middle, and rested late when a lot of guys get hurt.

Regular season "statements" literally don't accomplish anything other than appeasing fans on the internet.

Having trouble figuring out which team might beat Boston 4 times.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So much this. Sure it's nice to look like a team like Carolina who seemingly has their shit together every game, but regular season is ultimately meaningless as long as you get into the playoffs and play well there. Then when the time comes, teams like Carolina (and I'm hoping the Bruins and Devils this year) don't have another gear to match everyone else upping theirs. Meanwhile, Tampa won their second cup and went to the finals while sleepwalking the regular season (and also cheating the cap).

The real season starts April 17 and this team knows that.
Not sure TB has another gear this season. They're more than a little banged up, they lost McD which really weakened their depth. Vasy is Vasy and he might steal a series but it wont be because of their overall roster.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
1/3 of the game sucked. 2/3 was entertaining. The result was 3/3 disappointing.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Not sure TB has another gear this season. They're more than a little banged up, they lost McD which really weakened their depth. Vasy is Vasy and he might steal a series but it wont be because of their overall roster.
No I don't think they do. They've lost too much depth. The Leafs should beat them, but it's the Leafs.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
More than you think.

Tampa went 62-16-4 and got swept by a nothing ass Blue Jackets team. Every playoff team in the East is significantly better than that Columbus team.

Not long ago, more than a few people here told me that Colorado was a virtual lock to come out of the West. I think you were one of them.

I think Boston has a much better chance of coming out of the East than Colorado has of coming out of the West.

Anyone can lose, but this Boston team is as good top-to-bottom that I can remember.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not long ago, more than a few people here told me that Colorado was a virtual lock to come out of the West. I think you were one of them.

I think Boston has a much better chance of coming out of the East than Colorado has of coming out of the West.

Anyone can lose, but this Boston team is as good top-to-bottom that I can remember.
They still have to go through the East. Probably 4 of the top 5 teams and 8 of the top 10 are in the East. Plus, nobody cruises to the amount of wins they had, and I'm concerned about burnout. I see a lot of parallels with the 2019 Lightning and 1996 Red Wings.

Colorado has no competition that matches up to them if they play well and stay healthy and they took two-thirds of the year off.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
More than you think.

Tampa went 62-16-4 and got swept by a nothing ass Blue Jackets team. Every playoff team in the East is significantly better than that Columbus team.

This is why I think regular season records are overblown. It’s more about the match ups. Just need to get into the playoffs and get hot.

I’ve seen lower seeds win the cup, happens all the time.

Reactions: Cmox

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
They still have to go through the East. Probably 4 of the top 5 teams and 8 of the top 10 are in the East. Plus, nobody cruises to the amount of wins they had, and I'm concerned about burnout. I see a lot of parallels with the 2019 Lightning and 1996 Red Wings.

Colorado has no competition that matches up to them if they play well and stay healthy and they took two-thirds of the year off.

Gentlemens bet on who goes further?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is why I think regular season records are overblown. It’s more about the match ups. Just need to get into the playoffs and get hot.

I’ve seen lower seeds win the cup, happens all the time.
I know "they start at 0-0" is a cliche but it really is a separate thing.

I don't think W-L records do a tremendous job of reflecting quality in hockey as it is, and then you're putting teams into a blender with a very high level of randomness.

The Panthers might end up being the lowest seed in the East and they're a 55% xGF team over the last two years with multiple superstars. There's almost no hierarchy in the East. It's a hat draw.

I feel strongly about Colorado because there's just a dearth of talent in the West right now. Look at Minnesota's center depth. Look at how old and slow the Stars are. The Kings could not be more underwhelming.

The lineup getting off the bus tells you more than any amount of wins or any of the analytics available.
Gentlemens bet on who goes further?
What are your terms?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Right now, I think Florida vs Carolina would be a matchup. There's just no way I see Carolina winning that. That mid ass no stars lineup against Barkov, Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, and Ekblad? No chance.

The only thing that's held Florida back is folding under adversity and the Hurricanes invented folding under adversity.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Right now, I think Florida vs Carolina would be a matchup. There's just no way I see Carolina winning that. That mid ass no stars lineup against Barkov, Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, and Ekblad? No chance.

The only thing that's held Florida back is folding under adversity and the Hurricanes invented folding under adversity.

Been watching a lot of Florida last month or so. They have been fun to watch and they score goals like no ones business (Forsling, Montour and Tkachuk have been incredible) BUT the issue in goal could rear it's ugly head??? They are riding Lyon who no one really knows if he can continue to play even close to what he's been doing the last few weeks. Because of that I don't see them going back to Bob and if they did have to because Lyon gets lit up in the playoffs will Bob be able to take over having not played in almost a month? He really hasn't been that consistent to begin with this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad