Binghamton Devils

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I do know that Mitchell has always preferred to keep the parent team name, but I do feel this time he was ready to do our own name and was blocked

Not totally sure why, but I definitely got this exact feeling when I was watching the press conference the other day. I'm far too lazy to go back and look up the exact words, but he said like, "this is what we decided to settle on".

It sucks because Mitchell and most fans would prefer to have our own identity, but the Devils have a history of making their AHL affiliate the Devils as well. Along with a logo which features the first letter of the city name and some spin-off of the NJ Devils logo (see Utica, Lowell, Albany, etc). I'd bet good money the logo looks very similar to the mock logo in this thread.

Can't complain too much, though. At the end of the day, I'm still happy.

DangleSnipeCele

Jul 14, 2016
mark my words, there will come a day when Tom Mitchell will NOT be running a pro hockey franchise, it's happened before in Binghamton and what happens if the Devils bolt for another city after 5 years

other local owners have either been forced to sell or moved with the franchise to other cities

I've heard rumors of MSG buying property where old warehouses are and building a brand new AHL arena ..Then Binghamton University will have the old arena as a Division I college hockey team. Makes sense, 88, 81 and 17 all cross through that area of Bing. Don't rule it out quite yet

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I've heard rumors of MSG buying property where old warehouses are and building a brand new AHL arena ..Then Binghamton University will have the old arena as a Division I college hockey team. Makes sense, 88, 81 and 17 all cross through that area of Bing. Don't rule it out quite yet

Just a couple of things. There was "rumors" MSG was going to purchase the Glens Falls Civic Center to host training camp, and house their AHL team up in Glens Falls, didn't happen. Brand new ECHL and AHL arenas cost a lot of money to meet requirements. Albany built their arena in 1990s for 30 million, years later Elmira's arena cost somewhere between 15 to 20 million to build. Albany's on going renovations to enclose the atrium, new box office, enclose rear atrium, refurbish bathrooms, and add a Johny Rockets Hamburger joint is costing between 20 and 30 million alone.

Lastly, did SUNY Binghamton go DI NCAA hockey or is that a plan? I cannot see a club hockey team playing in the Broome County Vet. Most SUNY collegiate hockey teams play at the DIII level. Both Oswego and Plattsburgh play in very nice arenas and the hockey is pretty competetive. I am sure Binghamton fans recall Keith Aucoin. He played college hockey at DIII Norwich then went on to play UHL, AHL, and then finally some time in the NHL.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Just a couple of things. There was "rumors" MSG was going to purchase the Glens Falls Civic Center to host training camp, and house their AHL team up in Glens Falls, didn't happen. Brand new ECHL and AHL arenas cost a lot of money to meet requirements. Albany built their arena in 1990s for 30 million, years later Elmira's arena cost somewhere between 15 to 20 million to build. Albany's on going renovations to enclose the atrium, new box office, enclose rear atrium, refurbish bathrooms, and add a Johny Rockets Hamburger joint is costing between 20 and 30 million alone.

Lastly, did SUNY Binghamton go DI NCAA hockey or is that a plan? I cannot see a club hockey team playing in the Broome County Vet. Most SUNY collegiate hockey teams play at the DIII level. Both Oswego and Plattsburgh play in very nice arenas and the hockey is pretty competetive. I am sure Binghamton fans recall Keith Aucoin. He played college hockey at DIII Norwich then went on to play UHL, AHL, and then finally some time in the NHL.

I agree with you on this one. I don't see MSG or any arena management group going into any old rust-belt upstate NY cities and putting up $100M+ of their money to build a new AHL quality arena. The only way that cities like Binghamton, Syracuse, Utica etc will get a new arena is if the state of New York writes a big fat check and then the local taxpayers pick up the rest. Sure an MSG, SMG or any other group may want to come in an manage it but they won't be using their own money to build it. And I don't see any taxpayer funded new arenas happening any time soon and if it does happen my bet Syracuse would have the best chance of getting it done.

I also agree with you on Binghamton University not starting up a D1 hockey program. It would be D3 like the other SUNY schools.

Skeeze

Nov 25, 2016
I'm glad they do, but just keep that history in mind prior to 2002, and if it wasn't for Ottawa, where would you folks be, and remember what it was like watching the league without you, based off their history of operation, I pray the cooperation between the two just doesn't become strained...

I wish we had that type of owner and maybe we'd still have a franchise in this league, that's all.... I liked what he said about Ottawa assisting in this, that's the way it should work, a mutual agreement and this transition, at least u get to say goodbye this season to Ottawa and thank them for being your partner for 15 years, unlike here, where we've lost both our teams before the season even began.

We will always be grateful to Ottawa for being instrumental in getting us back in the AHL. The fact that they came here in 2002 and stayed for 15 years says something about the Binghamton hockey market. 15 years is an incredibly long time to be affiliated with one partner in today's AHL.

Believe me, Binghamton fans know how lucky we are to have an AHL team, and we no one feels worse for the die-hard fans in Albany (and Portland for that matter) who have lost their team. We know that pain, we lived through it, and we sympathize. But like Mr. Andrews said, Binghamton is a strong AHL market and a great hockey town. We won't apologize for that...we take pride in it.

kingofspades303

May 12, 2010
I agree with you on this one. I don't see MSG or any arena management group going into any old rust-belt upstate NY cities and putting up $100M+ of their money to build a new AHL quality arena. The only way that cities like Binghamton, Syracuse, Utica etc will get a new arena is if the state of New York writes a big fat check and then the local taxpayers pick up the rest. Sure an MSG, SMG or any other group may want to come in an manage it but they won't be using their own money to build it. And I don't see any taxpayer funded new arenas happening any time soon and if it does happen my bet Syracuse would have the best chance of getting it done.

I also agree with you on Binghamton University not starting up a D1 hockey program. It would be D3 like the other SUNY schools.
Not to go off topic, but isn't Binghamton a D1 school that plays in the America East Conference? Can a D1 school play down at the D3 level in a single sport?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Not to go off topic, but isn't Binghamton a D1 school that plays in the America East Conference? Can a D1 school play down at the D3 level in a single sport?

Not saying that its impossible that BU would start up a D1 hockey program just that it seems unlikely seeing that the other SUNY schools are D3. Plus the America East Conference doesn't have hockey so I'm not sure what conference they would play in.

There are a number of schools that play D1 for one sport and D3 for others. Clarkson and RIT both come to mind because they are D1 for hockey and D3 for other sports.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
I don't even know what level they are.
To be honest college sports aren't big amongst the sports loving townies in my opinion.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Not saying that its impossible that BU would start up a D1 hockey program just that it seems unlikely seeing that the other SUNY schools are D3. Plus the America East Conference doesn't have hockey so I'm not sure what conference they would play in.

There are a number of schools that play D1 for one sport and D3 for others. Clarkson and RIT both come to mind because they are D1 for hockey and D3 for other sports.

Hockey East is the hockey D1 equivalent, Utica, it a rarity to see a school like Boston College be in the same conference, when in other sports they're in the ACC

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
BU is a D1 school, they announced they were going D1 right around the time I was looking/applying to college.

I'm pretty sure you have to petition to move up/down at the end of a season based off of prior performance. So, maybe(?), they'd have to start as D1, since that's their division, and drop after a season (or two/three).

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The NJ Devils fans that I have gone with to Albany games over the years are all excited for Binghamton roadtrips.

I spoke with someone who attended SUNY-Binghamton and he said that "I was going to like the rink out there".

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Yea the rink is a classic old rink. It has great new seats, great lighting. Plenty of beer. Not many fancy frills. Simple arena food. Plenty of bathrooms ! Thats important! Seats are great because of the steep incline , you are right on top of the play. Looking forward to welcoming you guys here. Love this old barn.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
The NJ Devils fans that I have gone with to Albany games over the years are all excited for Binghamton roadtrips.

I spoke with someone who attended SUNY-Binghamton and he said that "I was going to like the rink out there".

The Arena here has been my second home for the past 40 years.You and your crew will be more than welcomed with open arms, no doubt!

The local fanbase is excited for a change. Ottawa did us right with a Calder Cup, but overall it's been a challenge in supporting the Senators' Organization with so many up and down seasons.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
BU is a D1 school, they announced they were going D1 right around the time I was looking/applying to college.

I'm pretty sure you have to petition to move up/down at the end of a season based off of prior performance. So, maybe(?), they'd have to start as D1, since that's their division, and drop after a season (or two/three).

They could start in D3 if they wanted. The divisions are more set up by facilities and infrastructures than actual on field performance

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Arena here has been my second home for the past 40 years.You and your crew will be more than welcomed with open arms, no doubt!

The local fanbase is excited for a change. Ottawa did us right with a Calder Cup, but overall it's been a challenge in supporting the Senators' Organization with so many up and down seasons.

Yeah, I'm excited to travel to a city that is excited about the local AHL team.
You don't really get that in Albany, although I have always enjoyed visiting Albany.

Last edited by a moderator:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
They could start in D3 if they wanted. The divisions are more set up by facilities and infrastructures than actual on field performance

The NCAA no longer allows schools to play in different divisions for different sports. Teams like Union & Clarkson were grandfathered in and allowed to play D1 hockey because they did so before the rule was put into place about 25 years ago. Johns Hopkins lacrosse is another well-known team that plays "up" in one sport and is a D3 in the others.

A number of D1 schools that once had D3 football teams - Butler, Dayton, Evansville in our area - had to move up to D1 due to this rule (a school playing up in a sport could do so, but those who were in lower divisions had to move up). The ones who have programs remain non-scholarship and play in non-scholarship conferences - essentially running themselves as D3-type programs, but playing in FCS.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The NCAA no longer allows schools to play in different divisions for different sports. Teams like Union & Clarkson were grandfathered in and allowed to play D1 hockey because they did so before the rule was put into place about 25 years ago. Johns Hopkins lacrosse is another well-known team that plays "up" in one sport and is a D3 in the others.

A number of D1 schools that once had D3 football teams - Butler, Dayton, Evansville in our area - had to move up to D1 due to this rule (a school playing up in a sport could do so, but those who were in lower divisions had to move up). The ones who have programs remain non-scholarship and play in non-scholarship conferences - essentially running themselves as D3-type programs, but playing in FCS.

Alabama/Huntsville plays D1 hockey and D2 in everything else, same thing for AIC. Clarkson might even be D3 except for hockey.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Alabama/Huntsville plays D1 hockey and D2 in everything else, same thing for AIC. Clarkson might even be D3 except for hockey.

That's correct - there are several Division II schools that play hockey, but there is no D II championship, so the individual programs can choose to play in Division I or Division III.

Four schools - RPI, Colorado College, St. Lawrence, and the Third-tier Toilet technology college in Potsdam, NY that you mentioned have Division III athletic programs that have been grandfathered to "play up" in Division I men's hockey and offer up to 18 scholarships. Two other schools - Johns Hopkins in men's lacrosse, Hartwick in men's soccer - have been similarly grandfathered. All have a Division I women's athletic program to offset the Title IX implications of offering scholarships in one men's sport.

Five schools also have Division III teams that play in Division I but don't offer scholarships. The only one of these that plays Division men's hockey is Union.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
The antipathy towards to Devils organisation is such that even living in the area, this is the first I've heard of them leaving town. Next to nobody will care and more will think "good riddance".

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They must not be that informative of a fanbase? The devils don't even try and put a joke of an effort. Trenton is just an easy example but the AHL teams have been run the same way.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
NJ has nothing to do with the fan base in Binghamton. The business side is run by the same group who ran the Binghamton Senators. NJ supplies players , Bingo group runs business and pays a lease fee to NJ.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
And the fan base is very knowledgeable and informed. This is the cities 33 rd AHL season and 42 nd straight pro hockey season.
Perhaps there is some excitement for a change in Binghamton is driving the sales.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
NJ has nothing to do with the fan base in Binghamton. The business side is run by the same group who ran the Binghamton Senators. NJ supplies players , Bingo group runs business and pays a lease fee to NJ.

Even if they don't own it, they surely won't try to win. Their AHL teams have like 2 playoff appearances in 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad