Billy is Gone

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Well this off season will either be great or a complete train wreck. To be honest, I'm not sure which I am leaning towards it being.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
As for the now two-sided search, Waddell said the team will do both at once and not worry about filling openings in a specific order.
"Traditionally, you would probably say the GM has to come first, but Tom, the way he thinks –which he’s been very successful in all his businesses – he doesn't necessarily believe that you have to have the GM in place," Waddell said. "We’re going to run both searches. We're not going to wait for a GM to start the coaching search. If you hire the coach first, the GM comes in, he'll know who the coach is and know some of the staff that’s been put in place, and he's either going to accept that or he's not going to take the job."
Waddell said the team doesn't have a firm timeline for when it would like to make a hire.
"We have to do our homework. Since this announcement came out I've gotten seven phone calls from potential head coaches, a couple of agents that represent coaches have called me," he said. "The list is going to be very long of the people interested in this job, and that’s something we have to sort through first. We’re going to gather our list. Once we have that, we’ll start interviews."
Peters OUT at Canes changes continue

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One other Tippett nugget I think a lot of people aren't aware of.

He orchestrated the firing of his GM (Maloney) via a power play with the minority owners of the Coyotes, pushing himself to Executive VP and one of those minority owners (who had zero experience) as President of Hockey Operations. This was part of a semi-public disagreement between the majority owner and the minority owners about how the rebuild should be handled. Tippett used that wedge. But the Majority owner had enough, bought out the other guys, and re-established a more traditional front office setup just one year later. That's how badly it was running.

This is one reason I suspect he's not coaching somewhere else already. I don't think he's PNG among owners but I think if you have the choice between hiring the guy who caused trouble vs one who didn't? That choice is pretty easy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As for the now two-sided search, Waddell said the team will do both at once and not worry about filling openings in a specific order.
"Traditionally, you would probably say the GM has to come first, but Tom, the way he thinks –which he’s been very successful in all his businesses – he doesn't necessarily believe that you have to have the GM in place," Waddell said. "We’re going to run both searches.

So do we still think Dundon isn't going to be involved in hockey personnel decisions? If so, I have some land in Florida for sale.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So do we still think Dundon isn't going to be involved in hockey personnel decisions? If so, I have some land in Florida for sale.
It's odd to do the search this way as we talked about, but I always took the hockey personnel thing to mean making trades and such. I don't have a major problem with him trying it this way, or being involved in the coaching search. I hope it works, and just because it's outside what we all know to be the norm doesn't mean it won't.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's odd to do the search this way as we talked about, but I always took the hockey personnel thing to mean making trades and such. I don't have a major problem with him trying it this way, or being involved in the coaching search. I hope it works, and just because it's outside what we all know to be the norm doesn't mean it won't.

My view, whether people agree with it or not, is that he IS going to be involved in hockey decisions. Typically, hiring of a coach is the GM's job. Typically exit interviews are Coach/GM's jobs. I also think he'll be involved in player decisions as we go forward. That said, I'm NOT saying it's a bad thing or a problem.

Like you said, it could work just fine so I'm not against it just because it's different than the norm. I won't judge anything until we see the results. Just stating that I think he'll be very involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad