Biggest threat to Canada In Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Marcus-74 said:
Nothing against Canada, but...

I HOPE RUSSIA WILL THOROUGHLY KICK THEIR BUTTS! :yo:

International hockey needs to get exciting again... it´s been Canada´s "playground" for too long now.

And Krikunov, Mikhailov and Yurzinov on Russia´s coaching staff = BEAUTIFUL! My only worry is Boris Mikhailov, though. He has had his troubles with the NHL players in the past and, at times, it looked to me like he was the one in charge (and not Krikunov) during the last WCs...

But no need for suspicions now; GO RUSSIA GO!!!! And I hope Finland does well too.

don't forget that the Russian team will have 45% of players from the RSL

but so did the Czechs in '98 ...

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
roshiajin said:
Canada is highly overrated. Something natural granted that there's a majority of Canadians here, but let's face facts : in 2 Olympics, Canada played about 2 convincing games, both vs the USA btw.
It's not the World Cup, therefore Canada's play will more resemble that of the WCH'05 than the World Cup 04. And I'm still convinced that Canada is weak when playing outside North America. All I ask is to be proven wrong, but I think this team could finish anywhere in the top 5.

OK I'm outta here before somebody punches me in the face.

Well, Canada does have what is largely considered to be the "deepest' team talent wise. Russia(Actually Khabibulin may be the best goalie on earth at this point)and Sweden are right on their heels, though...and in the Olympics where two games can mean the difference between gold or nothing, almost anything can happen. Except Belarus winning it all, I think we can safely rule that out.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
octopi said:
Well, Canada does have what is largely considered to be the "deepest' team talent wise. Russia(Actually Khabibulin may be the best goalie on earth at this point)and Sweden are right on their heels, though...and in the Olympics where two games can mean the difference between gold or nothing, almost anything can happen. Except Belarus winning it all, I think we can safely rule that out.

Is Belarus even playing? Did they qualify? :dunno:

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
12# Peter Bondra said:
Is Belarus even playing? Did they qualify? :dunno:
Belarus got knocked out by Latvia in qualification so they're not playing. I'd much rather have them on the tournament than those crazy lumberjack boring defense Kazakhs.

Outside the Big 7 (where anything can happen but Canada is a favorite, give it a rest Russian homers) I think Latvia is a real strong contender for the glorious 8th place and maybe maybe maybe an upset in the quarter finals. Lots of not-great-but-skilled forwards and you never know when Irbe catches fire.

Maken*

octopi said:
Actually Khabibulin may be the best goalie on earth at this point

When last season your save % was as good as Ty Conklin's, you know you are good! :sarcasm:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Maken said:
When last season your save % was as good as Ty Conklin's, you know you are good! :sarcasm:

exactly

Khabby is widely overrated. I don't understand how the Hawks could have given him 7 million a year! he's worth 3 at the most

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
roshiajin said:
exactly

Khabby is widely overrated. I don't understand how the Hawks could have given him 7 million a year! he's worth 3 at the most

That Stanley Cup ring is like an instant 3 million dollar raise.

People tend to forget Tampa Bay had a pretty good team. They did win the conference.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
NyQuil said:
That Stanley Cup ring is like an instant 3 million dollar raise.

People tend to forget Tampa Bay had a pretty good team. They did win the conference.

That was sarcasm.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
As stated earlier, the threat of self-destruction is probably Canada's biggest problem. The team will be strong all the way around, but if it doesn't gel quickly, other teams can take advantage.

In my unscientific off-the-cuff opinion, I'm most worried about the Czechs and then the USA. The Czechs are a true power with no weaknesses. Regardless of the talent level, I find the Americans always play the Canadians hard.

I find the Russians are a wild card. They've always got an insane amount of talent, but sometimes it just doesn't come together at all. It's as if some tournaments they want to play, sometimes they don't.

The Swedes have been self-destructing for some time now. Given the talent, I just don't understand it.

The Finns, as noted, aren't (usually) very flashy or really deep, but your team will pay if you take them lightly.

Slovaks, Kazakhs, Swiss, Germans, Poles, ... sorry, you don't get to sit at the big table yet.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Saint Teemu said:
Slovaks,sorry, you don't get to sit at the big table yet.

Hm...

Palffy, Gaborik, Hossa, Zednik, Satan, Handzus, Stumpel, Nagy, Bondra, Chara, Visnovsky, Suchy, Demitra...

IMO; if things go right for them, they could challenge for a medal.

ANd I see the Czechs as good as the Canadians. They beat them in the WC and lost in OT in the World Cup, after Hejduk hit the post on what would have been the GWG.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
Corto said:
Hm...

Palffy, Gaborik, Hossa, Zednik, Satan, Handzus, Stumpel, Nagy, Bondra, Chara, Visnovsky, Suchy, Demitra...

IMO; if things go right for them, they could challenge for a medal.

ANd I see the Czechs as good as the Canadians. They beat them in the WC and lost in OT in the World Cup, after Hejduk hit the post on what would have been the GWG.
Ok, I'll admit those are some good players - maybe I shouldn't have listed Slovakia in the same sentence with those other countries. Still, the Slovaks don't engender the same fear as the Czechs do.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Saint Teemu said:
Ok, I'll admit those are some good players - maybe I shouldn't have listed Slovakia in the same sentence with those other countries. Still, the Slovaks don't engender the same fear as the Czechs do.

Atleast you talked yourself out of it cause Poles and Slovaks in one sentence...

And I agree with your last sentence.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Definitely the Czechs. Vokoun can hold his own with the very best in the World, and Jagr looks like he's ready to challenge all comers for the title of "best hockey player in the world" once again. Overall, they have depth but they still haven't been able to bridge the gap with Canada's depth. Then again, who can?

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Overall, they have depth but they still haven't been able to bridge the gap with Canada's depth. Then again, who can?

Hmmm.... I don't know, they outplayed Canada in every single game since 98. The last WCup included - Canada won that one by some freakish turn of fortune...

Macman

May 15, 2004
roshiajin said:
And I'm still convinced that Canada is weak when playing outside North America. All I ask is to be proven wrong.

Canada has won something like 22 world championship and every single one was won outside North America. Of Canada's 12 world junior titles, seven were won outside North America and only two in Canada itself. In the '72 Summit Series, three of Canada's four wins were in Russia. Canada has won all but one under-18 Junior World Cup ever played and they've all been played in Europe by kids who have never played on big ice. How much proof do you need?

No, Canada doesn't win every time and occasionally they even stink the joint out, just like every other county. But when it does win, we hear the same tired old excuses that are based more on frustration and resentment than reality.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
From an earlier post about Slovakia lets just say that they arent as good as the Czechs. Canada played the Slovaks in the '04 World Cup twice. First it was 5-1 then they smoked them 5-0 inthe quarterfinals. Slovakia might challenge for a bronze but thats it. I'll take them over USA though. :D

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Big Phil said:
From an earlier post about Slovakia lets just say that they arent as good as the Czechs. Canada played the Slovaks in the '04 World Cup twice. First it was 5-1 then they smoked them 5-0 inthe quarterfinals. Slovakia might challenge for a bronze but thats it. I'll take them over USA though. :D

Agreed with the SVK statements.

The problem is our coach though. We have a first-defense coach on an offensive team, full of offensive guys and that combination just doesnt work.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Definitely the Czechs. Vokoun can hold his own with the very best in the World, and Jagr looks like he's ready to challenge all comers for the title of "best hockey player in the world" once again. Overall, they have depth but they still haven't been able to bridge the gap with Canada's depth. Then again, who can?

Well, our country is smaller (10 mil) + hockey is quite expensive, more expensive then football. Which is the most popular sport (for most of the year :) ) So we can never match the depth of Canada - we just dont produce that many players and never will...

polarslam

Apr 2, 2004
Winnipeg
What kind of team is Italy icing? Is it full of Canadians with dubious connections to Italy like how Greece filled most of their team sports at Athens? Or is full of actual Italians?

Could Dino Cicerelli strap em up for them?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Jag68Vlady27 said:

I don't know why everyone is using the "depth argument"

Did you see Czech Republic's depth at the 1998 Olympics??? They had 20 skaters, and only 12 (or 11?) of them were NHLers!!!

Personnally the Czechs are my favorite, with Canada 2nd and Russia 3rd.

espo*

Den said:
Hmmm.... I don't know, they outplayed Canada in every single game since 98. The last WCup included - Canada won that one by some freakish turn of fortune...
Absolutely untrue,we did'nt get outplayed by The Czechs in 2002 and really did'nt in 98 either.And we outplayed the Czechs at the world's the year before last.

The Czechs better not get too confident,we're ready to take them out at Torino(they'll be older too) we'll be ready and won't have a second team defense at Torino like at the world cup unless injuries again play a part.we're ready to put the hurt on those guys.................that is,if they don't get knocked out before they meet us.The Czechs are pretty helter skelter,for as good as they are.............they could end up in fifth place if they don't have their head screwed on straight(hardly a given with them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad