Biggest threat to Canada In Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Which country is going to be the biggest threat to Canada in the Olympics? I assume this might be the Canadian roster:

Goal: Brodeur, Luongo, Theodore
Defense: Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, Redden, Regehr, Bouwmeester
Forward: Lemieux, Sakic, Iginla, Thornton, Heatley, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Gagne, Nash, Draper, (maybe Bertuzzi, Marleau, Spezza or even Crosby)

Who is it that will pose a threat to them. You'd think if those guys are all healthy that no one should beat them. But last year at the World Cup a Czech team took advantage of some Canadian injuries on defense and nearly won.

But with a healthy line up are the Russians maybe the best shot to beat Canada? Or the Czechs? We all know the Sweds will choke in the quarterfinals again but their rivals the Finns might put up a fight. To me the Americans will have a poor team. The only way the may be able to compete is if they have their core of players back from 1996. But all of them are too old and past their prime. Hard to believe a 41 year old Hull might make USA but it'd be better than David Legwand I suppose.

To me the Czechs pose the best threat. Jagr may be past his prime but no matter what the Czechs always play good in big games. After that the Russians might be a scary offensive team on that big ice.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I would definitely say Czechs. They have rediculous offensive threats and Vokoun is just starting to come into his own as far as international experience goes.

Not to mention, it seems like the Czechs ALWAYS come up huge in international play.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Nope, I'm a Critter.

(And dude, lighten up --- there's this thing called "humor" --- learn about it. . :p: )

(And that was humor, in case you missed it :))

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Talentwise, at this point probably Sweden.Their current forwards,when healthy, are some of the most threatening players in the world(Naslund, Forsberg, Sundin , Alfredson,Zetterberg for starters), and their defence is almost up with Canada's as well. I think they might even have an elite goalie now. Biggest threat hands down.

Russia a close second. Their forwards and defence don't quite match up with Sweden's and Canada's but they are very close. Two elite goalies in Nabokov and Khabibulin. Russia's biggest problem is that their teams are comparitivly young,and their biggest leaders have retired. I mean, Alexei Yashin was their captain one year. I'm sorry, but I'd make anybody, including a kid like Malkin, captain before Yashin. This team will be a threat if they get some cohesion Cough*Igor larionov as coach* cough If not, they'll probably flounder despite the talent.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Garbs said:

The Swedes? Hmmm. Now I'm guessing on this one your serious and if you are then why? Forsberg and Naslund are both 32. Sundin is 34. Lidstrom is 34. Alfredsson is 31 I believe. That's Sweden's top players. Not like age is all that matters but after that you have very shaky netminding, and the Sedins and Zetterberg might be the only good oyung Swedes. I'll put Sweden with the USA, not much of a threat.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Big Phil said:
The Swedes? Hmmm. Now I'm guessing on this one your serious and if you are then why? Forsberg and Naslund are both 32. Sundin is 34. Lidstrom is 34. Alfredsson is 31 I believe. That's Sweden's top players. Not like age is all that matters but after that you have very shaky netminding, and the Sedins and Zetterberg might be the only good oyung Swedes. I'll put Sweden with the USA, not much of a threat.

Well, you replied to someone else, but I'm also saying Sweden, so here goes....

Those top players, when healthy are among the top 10 currently in the NHL. You missed some decent players, for example, PJ Axelsson.You probably missed some guys I can't even think of off the top of my head. They don't need a lot of really young guys they have plenty of good guys in late 20's to mid 30's, young enough.

They have apparently have a young hotshot goalie(or two?)of NHL caliber. he may not be as good as Brodeur or khabibulin, but I'd wager he's better than you think.

Is Canada the deepest, most talented team? Well yes. But Sweden is the biggest threat to Canada, I believe they will be quite tough. In other words, I'd predict Canada will win it all, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up 2nd or 3rd.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I should add the Swedes also have people like Kenny Johannson, Mattias Ohlund, Mikael Renberg, Niklas Kronvall, Magnus Ardvedson

Like I said, maybe not the same kind of depth as Canada, but nothing to shake a stick at...

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
octopi said:
I mean, Alexei Yashin was their captain one year. I'm sorry, but I'd make anybody, including a kid like Malkin, captain before Yashin.

I know that Yashin might not be popular with North Americans, but he is very respected in Russia with supporters and players. He is the guy who never refused to play for our national team, and always tried to do his best when playing for it! So I think he is a good captain.

In any case, Kovalev was our captain during last few competitions.

espo*

probably the Czechs but Russia does have the potential to be the one to take them down............Sweden will be a major challenge also.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Czech Republic. They are the World Champions for good reason. They outplayed Canada's World Cup team a year ago. They have some good scorers, good defensive forwards, and a fairly tough defense. I thought Vokoun was somewhat weak in the World Cup, but he was stellar at the World Championships, and is a great goaltender.

Obviously, their depth isn't as good as Canada's, but they have perhaps a superior team game, and always give Canada a good match. Czechs are the biggest threat to Canada.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Big Phil said:
Which country is going to be the biggest threat to Canada in the Olympics? I assume this might be the Canadian roster:

Goal: Brodeur, Luongo, Theodore
Defense: Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, Redden, Regehr, Bouwmeester
Forward: Lemieux, Sakic, Iginla, Thornton, Heatley, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Richards, Gagne, Nash, Draper, (maybe Bertuzzi, Marleau, Spezza or even Crosby)

Who is it that will pose a threat to them. You'd think if those guys are all healthy that no one should beat them. But last year at the World Cup a Czech team took advantage of some Canadian injuries on defense and nearly won.

But with a healthy line up are the Russians maybe the best shot to beat Canada? Or the Czechs? We all know the Sweds will choke in the quarterfinals again but their rivals the Finns might put up a fight. To me the Americans will have a poor team. The only way the may be able to compete is if they have their core of players back from 1996. But all of them are too old and past their prime. Hard to believe a 41 year old Hull might make USA but it'd be better than David Legwand I suppose.

To me the Czechs pose the best threat. Jagr may be past his prime but no matter what the Czechs always play good in big games. After that the Russians might be a scary offensive team on that big ice.
No Shane Doan? I didn't get to see the tournament at the beginning of the summer but I heard he was an absolute monster on the ice!!

As for the question at hand, I would have to say Russia. They are very explosive offensively!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
canucksfan said:
The Czechs. They play great during international events and they always seem to give Canada trouble. Another team is Finland.

True, aside from Canada, the Czechs are the most well rounded nation, always have solid tending, strong d, and intimidating talent up front.

Finland is good, just not as deep.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Czech Republic, they have everything. Second Russia, they have everything except a system that wins important games. Third USA.

Slovakia has some great forwards but a thin squad and no goaltending. Finland has better depth, great goaltending but less super talented players. Sweden will fall on their faces because A: Their best players are either super injury proned or over the hill and B: Lidström, Näslund and Öhlund will continue to suck royaly whenever they put on the yellow & blue. Should it be true that Norström intends to never play for the national team again, then Team Swedens defense will suffer greatly.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
I always go for Slovakia or Czech in international tournaments, I don't think anyone comes close to the Slovaks when it comes to offense, but with Palffy retiring from international play that will hurt there vetern presence. Their defense is thin, with there best players being Chara and Visnosvski, Goaltending is thin as well, Lasak has the ability to come up big in international tournaments, but is inconsistent.

So for the Olympics I will say Czech or Russia has thet best chance to pose a threat to Canada.

Zopust

Jun 27, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
The Czechs know how best to play the Canadians and are the toughest opponent by far.

That being said, some of their key veterans are getting older and I wonder how many more tournaments that Jagr, Rucinsky and Co. are going to be effective. However, they have guys like Elias and Hejduk ready to step up.

On the other hand, the Czechs seem to have problems playing other teams like the US for some reason.

As to the Shane Doan thing, I think he's much more effective on the smaller ice surface (i.e. the World Cup), but was fairly useless at the World Championships this year. We have to return to a speedy lineup like at Salt Lake City in 2002, and drop guys like Maltby, Doan and Morrow.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
They should at least keep Doan to implement their DDT line, Doan Draper Thornton was so effective at shutting the other team down, it would be a shame to break them up for the olympics.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Canada is the biggest threat to Czech Republic, the others will have to fight over the bronze medal. Unless there is major upset, or two, in the quarterfinal.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Kronblom said:
Canada is the biggest threat to Czech Republic, the others will have to fight over the bronze medal. Unless there is major upset, or two, in the quarterfinal.

Come on. Anyone who can't admit that Canada is the strongest international nation right now is kidding themselves. It's close, and Canada can certainly lose. But they are the favourites in any best on best tournament until someone proves otherwise. And it's been seven years since someone proved otherwise.

The Czechs are the biggest, and maybe the only bona-fide legitimate threat to upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->