Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
PMNqxKN.jpg

As seen on Reddit.

Know that feel brah.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I didn't watch either.

And I don't intend to watch until they're in the playoffs.

Obviously, you've gotta do you, good sir. But IMO, we're going to get our a$$es handed to us in the playoffs. You should really watch these games, which have playoff intensity and huge ramifications, with the added bonus of the chance of us actually scoring more goals than the other guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited that our long nightmare appears to be coming to an end. But I think we've used up everything we had in the tank getting to this point, and I am expecting a 2001-like early exit. Hopefully, it leads to a 2002-like return to the playoffs, but I'd be shocked if we were even able to make it a series against Washington or Tampa Bay.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Obviously, you've gotta do you, good sir. But IMO, we're going to get our a$$es handed to us in the playoffs. You should really watch these games, which have playoff intensity and huge ramifications, with the added bonus of the chance of us actually scoring more goals than the other guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited that our long nightmare appears to be coming to an end. But I think we've used up everything we had in the tank getting to this point, and I am expecting a 2001-like early exit. Hopefully, it leads to a 2002-like return to the playoffs, but I'd be shocked if we were even able to make it a series against Washington or Tampa Bay.

Yep, I’m with you here. This has the potential to be the big thing we do this year. I’m not missing the chance to watch them achieve the (modicum of) success that we’ve been waiting for for 10 years.

In the locker room they may talk about how “just making the playoffs” can’t be their goal, and that’s all well and good. But for me watching them clinch (if they do) will be such a monkey off the back moment that I’d kick myself if I missed it.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
How many times did Washington lose in the first two rounds before the cup run? 5 or 6 at least......

You have to start somewhere. The core of this team with its youth and cap flexibility has the potential to be a perennial playoff team for a decade.

With that, gives us the chance to make a cup run.

I'm okay with that. I've already seen a Cup win. That's one more than I ever thought I'd see

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

See I honestly believe we have a real chance against any team in the East not named Washington or Tampa. Problem is it looks about 80% sure we're drawing one of the two.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

See I honestly believe we have a real chance against any team in the East not named Washington or Tampa. Problem is it looks about 80% sure we're drawing one of the two.

I agree with both of you, which is why the Thursday loss still stings so bad. Canes had a real chance to finish ahead of Pittsburgh before that, now I don't like their chances

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
How many times did Washington lose in the first two rounds before the cup run? 5 or 6 at least......

You have to start somewhere. The core of this team with its youth and cap flexibility has the potential to be a perennial playoff team for a decade.

With that, gives us the chance to make a cup run.

I'm okay with that. I've already seen a Cup win. That's one more than I ever thought I'd see

This. Playoff experience would be a good thing for the likes of Slavin, Pesce, Aho, and Svechnikov. Another year of just sitting around doing nothing come playoff time isn't good for anyone and anything it would probably demoralize these guys.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Just this run (if they make it) will do this group wonders. Especially with how many haven't seen a post season in the NHL. They're learning how to win. Any talented player can go out and score goals (see Skinner). It takes certain intestinal fortitude to actually go the distance. If you win them, they will come.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I wasnt going to watch this game because I was afraid to watch. Then I realized it was a 1030 pacific start, so I couldnt watch anyway.

After this big win, I feel safe to watch the last 4.

I agree with that other VA Canes fan — having personally watched the Caps implode playoff after playoff, its kind of hard for me to be afraid of them. Tampa on the other hand....We couldnt even beat them in some of our best years.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Glad I DVR'd this. Was at Paraclete in Raeford leading a birthday party of 8 young ladies thru indoor skydiving, otherwise I'd have been there.

So for the people who say we'll be stomped in the playoffs- they said that in '09 against monster NJ and BOS teams. Yeah, they weren't Tampa, but I think both those teams were better than present day WAS. And I kinda like this team better than the '09 team. Mrazek has the eye of the tiger like Cam did, and the team is bigger and faster and tougher. I like our chances.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I will be comparatively delighted to watch them get swept in the first round.

I can absolutely not handle watching them not even get to the first round with like 96 points.

I waited until today, the very last day, to renew my tickets for next year, and if they'd lost, I might not have. It's gotten to the point where the pain of watching them lose outweighs the pleasure of watching them win.

If they win, I can always see the highlights. If they lose, and I watched them lose, it sucks for days and I dwell on it.

Anyway. Go whomever.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I'm cautiously optimistic we can make some noise in the playoffs--depending on how the seeding works out--but I agree that the journey itself has been amazing. Underdog comeback story, storm surges, a city re-learning to love the team again. it's all good stuff. i will root fiercely and irrationally for them if and when they make the playoffs of course, but I'll be proud of the accomplishment of playoff hockey in Raleigh again regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad