Biggest draft bust since 05/06?

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
LOL @ this thread. Maybe some players didn't live up to their potential but a bust is a player that hasn't even sniffed any NHL action

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The point was, if Gilbert Brule is labeled a bust so is Jordan Staal because it would be totally based off who was picked after them (for Brule it's Kopitar, Staal, Bourdon, Setoguchi) Brule is more of a mismanaged prospect but if he's a bust than so is Jordan Staal or how about Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Colin Wilson, Zach Bogosian & more = busts for being picked ahead of Erik Karlsson

I tossed in James Sheppard rather than a " :sarcasm: " :laugh:

You don't understand what a bust is. Brule is out of the NHL by age 26 and had only one season where he performed at close to top 6 level, that's why he's a bust (I know he had problems with injuries and was mismanaged). Staal is likely going to finish his career with well over a 1000 games barring major injuries and over 500 points, you can't be a bust putting up those sort of stats no matter who is picked after you. Is Nik Antropov a bust because Pavel Datsyuk went in the 6th round of the same draft and has had a much better career?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Barring extraordinary circumstances, it is too early to make assessments on players from the '10 draft and onward. imo. Also, a fair amount of the OP selections are questionable.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
How do you consider McIlrath a bust? He is progressing nicely in Hartford, the organization knew he was a bit of a reach but his skill set is not too easy to find these days. He is expected to compete for a spot on the big club next year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
How do you consider McIlrath a bust? He is progressing nicely in Hartford, the organization knew he was a bit of a reach but his skill set is not too easy to find these days. He is expected to compete for a spot on the big club next year.

I'd argue it's too early for the 09 draft, I mean Glennie has only just finished his 2nd pro season. Heck even Hickey has time to carve out an NHL career, though it wont be one worthy of a top 5 pick.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I'd argue it's too early for the 09 draft, I mean Glennie has only just finished his 2nd pro season. Heck even Hickey has time to carve out an NHL career, though it wont be one worthy of a top 5 pick.

I agree, players from the 09 draft are only starting to break into the league now and they need some time to flesh out who they are as a player, '10 draft are still mostly playing in the minors

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Just curious, do you know anything at all about McIlrath? I mean, even the slightest thing?

Love preconceived misconceptions that have no basis in reality. McIlrath is coming along just fine. Besides, isn't it a little early to call someone from a draft that isn't even 3 years old a bust? Same for the 2011 draft. draft Calling Siemens a bust is a little ridiculous, too.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
Besides, isn't it a little early to call someone from a draft that isn't even 3 years old a bust? Same for the 2011 draft. draft Calling Siemens a bust is a little ridiculous, too.
People like being heralds. If they're right, they can toot their own horn about "calling" the bust earlier and having successfully claimed they knew before anyone else that it was going to happen. If they're wrong, they can quietly slink away since it's unlikely anybody remembers the claim unless it was extremely outrageous (along the lines of "Jones will never play an NHL game. Period.").

Some may actually have insight, but as you point out at this point it's tough to project accurately enough to really use the "bust" (ala McIlrath) or "steal" (common with Johnny Gaudreau for Flames fans) label.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

(...)
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
(...)

Look at the next player drafted:

David Fischer
(...)

LOL @ this thread. Maybe some players didn't live up to their potential but a bust is a player that hasn't even sniffed any NHL action

Fischer was drafted 20th, and the Canadiens finally determined he wasn't good enough to be signed.

After his college years, he played 2 years in the ECHL, and last year was in a 2nd-tier league in Germany.

Difficult to be much more of a bust than that, even if Mitera gives him a good run.

Drafted 22nd: Claude Giroux.

Signed: A Canadiens fan... :cry:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Hahaha Jordan Staal a bust!? That's probably the funniest thing on these boards.

You don't have to become a 100 points player when you're drafted top 2-3. I'd rather have a Staal than a Kessel and Backstrom by far. You win with players like Staal and Toews. Staal might not be an offensive power but he has developed into a complete player. I will always remember his rookie year when he lead the league in short handed goals and especially, the pivotal moment during the stanley cup finals vs the Red Wings when he scored that SHG to turn the series around.

If Staal is a bust, than Erik Johnson is what?

Staal over kessell and backstrom? I know everyone loves 2 way centers so much on this site but thats kinda crazy.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
First round pick busts

Marek Zagrapan
Sasha Pokulok
Alex Bourret
Matt Pelech
Joe Finley
Vlad Mihalik

Riku Helenius
Mark Mitera
David Fisher
Dennis Persson
Ivan Vishnevski

Thomas Hickey
Zach Hamil
Logan MacMillan
Angelo Esposito
Patrick White
Nick Ross

Kyle Beach
Chet Pickard
Anton Gustafsson
Daulton Leveille
Thomas MacCollum

Phillippe Paradis

* I'm not calling anyone a bust taken since 2010 cause they're still young

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Louis Leblanc

I'm curious if Habs fans have thrown in the towel on Louis Leblanc

they finally took a franco-player in the first round since Eric Chouinard? and it doesn't look like it was worth it.

Too early to call McIlrath and Siemens busts.

Especially since McIlraths projected ceiling and expectations are so low. All he has to do is be a bottom pair D-man and he isn't exactly a bust because he met expectations, just selected in a weird position

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It depends on what you consider a bust...

If you consider a bust on his position in the draft, then it's Hickey.
If you consider a bust on hype, then it's Filatov.

Hickey was taken too high and everyone knew that.
Filatov was picked where he should have been picked and still sucked.

Personally I consider Filatov to be more of a bust than Hickey, because falling short of expectations is more on a players shoulders than a GM being stupid and picking a guy too early.

Filatov is my answer.

edit:
Lets say Janikowski ends up sucking and playing like 15 NHL games with zero points in his career. I will still look back and say he shouldn't have been picked in the 1st round to begin with. SO, it was a worse pick than it was him busting. 2nd round talents bust all the time.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
The point was, if Gilbert Brule is labeled a bust so is Jordan Staal because it would be totally based off who was picked after them (for Brule it's Kopitar, Staal, Bourdon, Setoguchi) Brule is more of a mismanaged prospect but if he's a bust than so is Jordan Staal or how about Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Colin Wilson, Zach Bogosian & more = busts for being picked ahead of Erik Karlsson

I tossed in James Sheppard rather than a " :sarcasm: " :laugh:

Not sure people can really consider a player a bust because of who went after them. They're busts because they simiply didn't pan out for whatever reason, not because the next pick was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad