Biggest draft bust since 05/06?

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall
08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.
09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall
10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)
11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall
12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

Almost picked Connolly? Really? After just scoring in 31 goals and 32 assists in 71 games in the AHL, and showing a very good game in his limited 5 games this year? Even Nino had worse numbers than him when they both got stuck in the NHL in the 11-12 season and this year in the AHL. :shakehead

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
-- Here's some good ones, Most of the one's at top are in the 1990's but check them out. And the bottom is like 2005-2007.

1. Pavel Brendl, 1999 No. 4 overall Pick, New York Rangers

2. Daniel Tkaczuk, 1997 No. 6 Overall Pick, Calgary Flames

3. Brett Lindros, 1994 No. 9 Overall Pick, New York Islanders

4. Scott Scissons, 1990 No. 6 Overall Pick, New York Islanders

5. Gilbert Brule

6. Zach Hamill

7. Sasha Pokulok

8. Marek Zagrapan

9. Riku Helenius (G)

10. Nikita Filatov

11. Jack Skille

12. Benoit Pouliot

13. Thomas Hickey

14. Angelo Esposito

15. Matt Pelech

16. Kyle Beach

17. Ryan Stoa

18. Ivan Vishnevskiy

19. Thomas McCollum (G) ?

20. David Fischer

21. Matt Corrente

22. Ryan O'Marra

23. Brian Lee

24. Ty Wishart

25. Patrick White

26. Alex Bourret

27. Ryan Parent

28. Kenndal McArdle

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Guys, it's Patrick White. This isn't close.

The guy was taken right before David Perron, flamed out of two consecutive WJC tryout camps where he should have easily made it as a bottom-6 player, put up horrendous numbers two years in a row at college, never played one preseason or AHL game with the Canucks and was basically made available for nothing. Gillis only got Ehrhoff out of him because the Sharks were desperate to make room for Heatley.

He now plays Tier 3 hockey in Germany. Yes, Tier 3. That's close to beer league.

Absolutely horrible pick.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
.....Duncan Siemens? Really? Why include the 2011 draft and the 2012 draft at all? Siemens has yet to play an NHL game but he's already a bust? Agenda much. Seriously was Siemens already suppose to be winning Norris trophies? I don't expect him to make the NHL roster for two years.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You really shouldn't put 10/11 or 11/12 on here. Let alone put Murray or Siemens up there as neither are busts, far from it in fact.

Brule, Skille and Hickey get my votes here for top three.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Hahaha Jordan Staal a bust!? That's probably the funniest thing on these boards.

You don't have to become a 100 points player when you're drafted top 2-3. I'd rather have a Staal than a Kessel and Backstrom by far. You win with players like Staal and Toews. Staal might not be an offensive power but he has developed into a complete player. I will always remember his rookie year when he lead the league in short handed goals and especially, the pivotal moment during the stanley cup finals vs the Red Wings when he scored that SHG to turn the series around.

If Staal is a bust, than Erik Johnson is what?

The point was, if Gilbert Brule is labeled a bust so is Jordan Staal because it would be totally based off who was picked after them (for Brule it's Kopitar, Staal, Bourdon, Setoguchi) Brule is more of a mismanaged prospect but if he's a bust than so is Jordan Staal or how about Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Colin Wilson, Zach Bogosian & more = busts for being picked ahead of Erik Karlsson

I tossed in James Sheppard rather than a " :sarcasm: " :laugh:

Anyway, the only other guy who springs to mind that hasn't been mentioned would be Jack Campbell. I doubt he lives up to 11th overall status but he's only 21 years old so there's plenty of time. He just hasn't looked near as good as the initial hype

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At what point will posts like this change from "biggest bust" to "most poorly developed"? The scouting staffs are so good for NHL teams that I don't put that on them that a pick doesn't pan out. For alot of these guys it comes down to how they were handled as opposed to where they were drafted.

Just think about it. When someone is a late round pick, they are given 2-3-4 or more seasons to develop properly, no wonder they hit often. 1st rounders are given 1, maybe 2 seasons to prove themselves worthy of an impact and then we start talking about their development.

Teams need to start giving their 1st rounders the requisite development time, not just throw them into the fire. No wonder guys like Josh, Bailey, Brule and others have failed.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The point was, if Gilbert Brule is labeled a bust so is Jordan Staal because it would be totally based off who was picked after them (for Brule it's Kopitar, Staal, Bourdon, Setoguchi) Brule is more of a mismanaged prospect but if he's a bust than so is Jordan Staal or how about Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Colin Wilson, Zach Bogosian & more = busts for being picked ahead of Erik Karlsson

I tossed in James Sheppard rather than a " :sarcasm: " :laugh:

Anyway, the only other guy who springs to mind that hasn't been mentioned would be Jack Campbell. I doubt he lives up to 11th overall status but he's only 21 years old so there's plenty of time. He just hasn't looked near as good as the initial hype

You've just listed above average NHL players. Brule is not an above average NHL player. Long careers, careers that shouldn't be assessed/defined simply by point totals.

Who else was available isn't really that important either. It has nothing to do with their NHL career. Staal isn't a better player than Toews, Backstrom etc, but so what? In the context of this discussion, that doesn't matter.

As for the question, Filatov to me is the most significant.

Octopus

May 17, 2006
For me the biggest busts from each year. I left out people who didn't come over and stayed in Europe.

05 draft: Sasha Pokulok. 14th overall.
06 draft- Mark Mitera. 19th overall (almost picked Johnson here)
07 draft- Thomas Hickey. 4th overall
08 Draft- Kyle Beach. 11th overall.
09 draft- Scott Glennie. 9th overall
10 draft- Dylan McIlrath. 10th overall. (almost picked Connolly)
11 draft- Duncan Siemens- 11th overall
12 draft- Too early, but Ryan Murray is my pick here. Injuries and inconsistency worry me.

Some of these I wouldn't call busts yet. Its way too early to tell. Best example is Dan Cleary, who took 5 years before he proved he could play in the league. He will end up having a 15 year career with his next contract and has been a mainstay for the Wings since he got there. Another was Joe Murphy, who was picked number overall by the Wings, and took a while to gel. I'm a Wings fan and quite frankly the Wings have been less than stellar in the first round in many years. Most recently Ted McCollum looks like he might be a bust, but there's still time as he's only 23. Years before there were picks like Maxim Kuznetsov, Yan Golubovsky, Curtis Bowen, Kory Kocur, Fred Williams, Pierre Guite that were absolute duds.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
At what point will posts like this change from "biggest bust" to "most poorly developed"? The scouting staffs are so good for NHL teams that I don't put that on them that a pick doesn't pan out. For alot of these guys it comes down to how they were handled as opposed to where they were drafted.

Just think about it. When someone is a late round pick, they are given 2-3-4 or more seasons to develop properly, no wonder they hit often. 1st rounders are given 1, maybe 2 seasons to prove themselves worthy of an impact and then we start talking about their development.

Teams need to start giving their 1st rounders the requisite development time, not just throw them into the fire. No wonder guys like Josh, Bailey, Brule and others have failed.

Agreed

We could pretty much list every Columbus Blue Jacket first round pick as a bust. I highly doubt it's because they happen to pick the 1 player each year who regresses.

Nikita Filatov - thrown straight into the NHL before he was ready
Gilbert Brule - Had another year of junior left but they put him in the NHL
Jakub Voracek - Had another year of junior left but they put him in the NHL. He didn't bust thankfully because he's now with Philadelphia but he looked like he was about to start regressing with Columbus before the trade and definitely would have benefited from another year of junior.
Derick Brassard- Mismanaged a ton but he's looked great with NYR in the small amount of time there.
Ryan Johansen - Had another year of junior left and they rushed him to the NHL well beforeh e was ready. Time will tell yet but he's not looking like a #4 overall pick.
Nikolai Zherdev - thrown straight into the NHL. Had his moments but didn't develop to his full potential.
Alex Picard - They mismanaged him a ton as well but he was a bit overrated in his draft year.

There's a common theme here, no?

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
McIlrath has progressed nicely since being drafted. He played in #1 pairing in the AHL this season and will most likely be on the Rangers from September. Best to see what he does in the NHL before calling him a bust..

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
.....Duncan Siemens? Really? Why include the 2011 draft and the 2012 draft at all? Siemens has yet to play an NHL game but he's already a bust? Agenda much. Seriously was Siemens already suppose to be winning Norris trophies? I don't expect him to make the NHL roster for two years.

As I said it was based off of this years stats. As it is too early to judge who is the bust from those classes.

You cannot lie though, Siemens was not on track this past season.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Guys, it's Patrick White. This isn't close.

The guy was taken right before David Perron, flamed out of two consecutive WJC tryout camps where he should have easily made it as a bottom-6 player, put up horrendous numbers two years in a row at college, never played one preseason or AHL game with the Canucks and was basically made available for nothing. Gillis only got Ehrhoff out of him because the Sharks were desperate to make room for Heatley.

He now plays Tier 3 hockey in Germany. Yes, Tier 3. That's close to beer league.

Absolutely horrible pick.

He is a huge bust, sure, but there's more significant ones out there considering he was a late 1st.

Just about any 1st rounder who never played in the NHL is a bust.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
As I said it was based off of this years stats. As it is too early to judge who is the bust from those classes.

You cannot lie though, Siemens was not on track this past season.

That's your problem, you are judging by stats. Duncan Siemens is not an offensive defenseman. Ask Renegade Stylings, he watched Duncan all season long. He's that big nasty Foote type dman that we need.

Canuck71*

You almost put Brett Connolly? He was one of the better players in the AHL this year and put up a ton of points. I know Tampa is happy with him, this guy is far from a bust. I think you should actually watch these players before you come to conclusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad