Biggest Disappointments

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
In recent memory:

Jokinen Part 1: Was supposed to put us over the top and be legit cup contenders, instead we lost in the first round (I know we had no defense).

Every thing that came back in the Dion trade. It took Matt Stajan 5 years to make it worth the trade (when he scored the game winner last year against Vancouver in game 6).

Bouwmeester, again we were supposed to be legit cup contenders with Bouw-Reggie-Dion-Gio, etc. but Bouwmeester scored like 2 goals his first year, 3 his next. I think part of the reason was Brent badly BADLY misused him. He also had to play with Chris Butler. If we had Hartley, playing the systems we do now with Bouwmeester from day 1, he'd be a 15-20 goal man again.

Raymond has been a brutal pick-up so far.

If I can include a coach then definitely Brent Sutter. Guy is a wizard in Junior, did a good job in Jersey. Comes here and all is looking well and we go 3 years with him and no playoffs with pretty decent rosters, wasting Iggy's prime.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I was really excited for players like Andrew Cassels and Michael Nylander and they never really panned out. Giguere maybe never gotten the chance. All these players basically disappointed me as Flames. Recently, how about Setoguchi.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was really excited for players like Andrew Cassels and Michael Nylander and they never really panned out. Giguere maybe never gotten the chance. All these players basically disappointed me as Flames. Recently, how about Setoguchi.

Meh, Seto was signed at 1M for 1 year. There is an in-built expectation of failure when that's the only contract anyone could offer him.

Monahan For Mayor*

Obvious choice. Jarome Iginla. He couldn't even lead us to a Stanley Cup Win. Just horrible.

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
It's like people don't know what disappointment means. A ****** playing being ****** is not disappointing, it's expected. A disappointing player would be someone who never performed as expected or never lived up to the hype.

Brad Stuart IMO was a bit of a disappointment, more so that we couldn't get him to re-sign after paying pretty big for him.

But that did get us Brodie though so in the end it worked out quite well for us :). Still at the time that was a disappointing.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
What about Rob Niedermayer? I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet. He was a pretty big disappointment for me for sure.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
How bout the coaches - Iron Mike and Brent Sutter.

One of the very few highlights of Keenan's 2-year tenure was probably the outstanding offensive production of Iginla (best PPG under Keenan) including a 50 goal season. Many were saying the Flames team was the most talented group of players Keenan has had in his career. Results were below expectations as Calgary narrowly made the playoffs in each of the two seasons and could not survive out of the first round. One really horrible memory from that era still is the ridiculous comeback loss to Chicago and how Keenan couldn't get his team composed for such situation.

Sutter's 3-year tenure was also a bit disappointing and just mediocre. Thought there were good stretches that could've guided us to the playoffs but to be honest, he had an aging squad with some underperformances (namely Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Stajan, and Comeau). Overall it had a lot to do with the incapabilities of Darryl as GM to improve the aging, mediocre squad his brother had to deal with, so I'm not as disappointed in Sutter's era as I was in Keenan's era.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How bout the coaches - Iron Mike and Brent Sutter.

One of the very few highlights of Keenan's 2-year tenure was probably the outstanding offensive production of Iginla (best PPG under Keenan) including a 50 goal season. Many were saying the Flames team was the most talented group of players Keenan has had in his career. Results were below expectations as Calgary narrowly made the playoffs in each of the two seasons and could not survive out of the first round. One really horrible memory from that era still is the ridiculous comeback loss to Chicago and how Keenan couldn't get his team composed for such situation.

Sutter's 3-year tenure was also a bit disappointing and just mediocre. Thought there were good stretches that could've guided us to the playoffs but to be honest, he had an aging squad with some underperformances (namely Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Stajan, and Comeau). Overall it had a lot to do with the incapabilities of Darryl as GM to improve the aging, mediocre squad his brother had to deal with, so I'm not as disappointed in Sutter's era as I was in Keenan's era.
That 2nd year we should have beat Chicago but after reading comments from Jokinen it sounds like half the team went on a 2 day bender before game 5. Plus the injuries were beyond brutal. That was our year.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Of course! We traded Bure for him!

I’d also suggest Brian Boucher.

Wasn't the return on Bure less, because they packaged both Bure and Wiemer, two guys who were having issues in the lockerroom with each other? I remember reading they dealt them together to avoid taking sides.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wasn't the return on Bure less, because they packaged both Bure and Wiemer, two guys who were having issues in the lockerroom with each other? I remember reading they dealt them together to avoid taking sides.

yep, sounds like the exact same thing as with Savard & Gilbert, one traded the other fired soon after

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Higgins was a big one for me. Was decent before coming here, was not that good at all here, and becomes a great middle six player when he left.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

He pretty much played up to his career averages, I wasn't disappointed in him.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
I'll say Amonte as expected so much more. Would have said Jokinen but he redeemed himself in his second stint. BUT make no mistake, the worst player EVER was Blake Comeau. That guy was just brutal. I didn't expect much from him though so I am going Amonte.

Aug 21, 2014
-Bouwmeester, I thought he'd be a 40 point PMD.
-Kotalik heavy RH-shot
-Brent Sutter didn't know how to use his players properly. ie, Hagman on PK, Kotalik's shot on the PP, Not allowing Jaybo to join the rush, Moss as #1 Center, Blake Oh No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad