Biggest Disappointments

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Gonna be throwing together a poll in the next few days that will likely be the top 10-20 biggest disappointing Flames. However, before I do, I want to hear what some of the bigger disappointments were to you.

I'll create a list based on the guys mentioned here, then throw the 1st round poll together.

Edit: Try to avoid prospects. I'll be doing a bust poll eventually. Stick with UFA signings or guys dealt to the Flames.

The List (so far);
Friesen
Drury
Jokinen
Cervenka
Boyd
Kidd
Zyuzin
Eriksson
Hale

Just a few names I've thought of;
Bouwmeester (Still good, but not the dman we thought we were getting)
Amonte (I had hoped for more than a 14 goal scorer)
Stajan (I love him, but I had thought he'd do a lot better than he did)
Higgins
Kotalik
Comeau
Galiardi

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
For me, Olli Jokinen. The guy really didn't produce as advertised and he was supposed to be our '1st line center for Iginla we've been in dire need of', and never lived up to the hype.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
For me, Olli Jokinen. The guy really didn't produce as advertised and he was supposed to be our '1st line center for Iginla we've been in dire need of', and never lived up to the hype.

I never fully understood the Jokinen trade. We needed a playmaking center for Iginla, so we traded for... a shooter? And hoped that Tanguay would just be the playmaker? Ehhh... :/

Aug 3, 2010
Just edited the thread. Excluding draft picks/prospects, as I'll be doing a top 10 busts or something like that in a few weeks.

In that case, the tops for me would be names like:

Zainullin (Literally gave away Savard)
Every component of the Gilmour trade (Berube, Godynyuk, Leeman, Petit, Reese)

Honourable mentions to Huselius (so much talent, not enough effort), Toskala (obvious), Hulse (sucked), Philippe Sauve (sucked), Bourque (tools without toolbox), Aliu (see Bourque), Babchuk (just kidding, all hail the Anton).

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Zainullin, Leeman, Friesen, Kotalik, Butler, Prust, Raymond, Toskala, and of course, Freddy Modin

Anyone who says Jokinen is kidding themselves.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brent Sutter by a mile.

For most players, there's usually mitigating factors, either age, overrated to begin with, improper development, or coaches being morons. Most of the younger players were mishandled. Cervenka had health and fitness issues while occupying Hartley's doghouse from day one. Jokinen never made sense to me - a shoot first centre with a shoot first right winger (Iginla) and a shoot first left winger (Cammalleri)? Someone in the Flames front office was clearly playing too much NHL 09 to think that was a good idea.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Add Krys Kolanos and Jason Wiemer (2nd time) and Chris Higgins to that list, too.

Kolanos was a career AHLer who earned a called up when we were rocked by injuries. Nobody expected much from him. Just a good hard worker who deserved a couple games in the show.

Edit: which I guess is disappointing because who couldn't use a 6'3" 200lb Center?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Huselius
Lombardi
Bourque
Lundmark
Babchuk
Karlsson

Highlighted are questionable. Huselius was a 30-goal man here, and this was the only place that Bourque didn’t suck. And Lombardi was alright for the first few years he was here and helped us land Jokinen.

And we traded Lundmark for Conroy, but Connie was old and so never mind.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Highlighted are questionable. Huselius was a 30-goal man here, and this was the only place that Bourque didn’t suck. And Lombardi was alright for the first few years he was here and helped us land Jokinen.

And we traded Lundmark for Conroy, but Connie was old and so never mind.

I'll give you Huselius (even though I think he had the talent to be a consistent 70+ point guy, but Bourque and Lombardi were pretty big disappointments.

Lombardi should have been able to be a 20 goal guy, but was limited by concussions (not his fault, but still disappointing), and same with Bourque (except should have been a 30 goal scorer), except he was just lazy.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
In that case, the tops for me would be names like:

Zainullin (Literally gave away Savard)
Every component of the Gilmour trade (Berube, Godynyuk, Leeman, Petit, Reese)

Honourable mentions to Huselius (so much talent, not enough effort), Toskala (obvious), Hulse (sucked), Philippe Sauve (sucked), Bourque (tools without toolbox), Aliu (see Bourque), Babchuk (just kidding, all hail the Anton).

I completely forgot about Philippe Sauve. What an awful goalie. Worse than Vesa.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I'll give you Huselius (even though I think he had the talent to be a consistent 70+ point guy, but Bourque and Lombardi were pretty big disappointments.

Lombardi should have been able to be a 20 goal guy, but was limited by concussions (not his fault, but still disappointing), and same with Bourque, except he was just lazy.

Yeah, yeah, Lombardi’s concussions, I’ll give you that, but c’mon, Bourque? You want a consistent 20 goal guy? He scored at least 21 the three full years he was here. The year he was traded, he had 18.

Then, the only good thing he did after he left was that playoff in 2014. Other than that...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Anglesmith's GDT's.

Oh wait we are talking about players!

Ian White is the worst one for me when it came to expectations.

Now overall players I just hated to see on the ice? Eriksson is up there. Kotalik was pretty meh too.

Just kidding AS we love you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad