OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I'm Already Sick of Holiday Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm losing a battle of wills today with my French Bulldog. She wanted me to hug in the morning, but I told her I had to go to the market. She took a pee on my couch in my guy room. I took my wife from her and to the airport, and she took a dump on the floor. I went out for an hour late this afternoon, and when I came in she ran right past me looking for my wife. Gonna be a tough 10 days without the misses. :help:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm losing a battle of wills today with my French Bulldog. She wanted me to hug in the morning, but I told her I had to go to the market. She took a pee on my couch in my guy room. I took my wife from her and to the airport, and she took a dump on the floor. I went out for an hour late this afternoon, and when I came in she ran right past me looking for my wife. Gonna be a tough 10 days without the misses. :help:
She's the captain now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
She was the captain long before now. :eek:
My Boston, she'd run the show. I thought I was the boss but it wasn't after she passed on that I realized she always got her way. Freaking adorable dog, may she rest and fart and snort and snore in doggy heaven.

Reactions: KIRK

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Shoulda gave her that hug....

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Man... I tend to get a little overexcited for new films of a genre I like but the new Blade Runner definitely feels... different... than a lot of the regurgitated shlock I've become accustomed to the last 20+ years of film. Good different, of course. Honestly, I don't even know how this film got made. And unfortunately, if the box office is any indicator (and it always is) -- there will never be another one or even another sci fi movie of this caliber to come from the big production houses. At least for quite some time. The new Dune movie Villeneuve wants to make happen will likely be the first victim of BR's inability to make piles of money.

It sucks because movies like Blade Runner are the real article but both times I've went I could fit the total number of people in the theater in a broom closet. But garbage like "Transformers" gets made over and over again because, well... people are dumb, basically.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't know what's going on with this site, but it's teetering on the brink of unusable for me. I've done everything from switch browsers, clear my cache, flush my DNS, switch ad-blockers, etc. Site still runs like hot garbage. Full-screen ads despite having a blocker, excruciatingly slow, lags out for nearly a minute sometimes while typing out a reply. What the f*** did the people who run this place do? :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Blade Runner (original), man, I hated that crap. Really wanted to like but nope, pile of kak.

I would certainly not recommend the new one, then.

But anyone who places the original (correctly) high on their list of all-time science fiction flicks would be doing themselves a major disservice by not going to see it. I didn't even really know I wanted a sequel to the original but boy am I glad I got one. Hell, I'd even encourage people to buy a ticket to it even if they don't care for the title or the genre. If for no other reason than to support Hollywood for occasionally doing something that doesn't follow it's usual paint-by-numbers horseshit.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't know what's going on with this site, but it's teetering on the brink of unusable for me. I've done everything from switch browsers, clear my cache, flush my DNS, switch ad-blockers, etc. Site still runs like hot garbage. Full-screen ads despite having a blocker, excruciatingly slow, lags out for nearly a minute sometimes while typing out a reply. What the **** did the people who run this place do? :laugh:

It's odd. At both of my work computers, I have major issues like you describe. At home, the site runs mostly-fine.

I also don't get nearly the amount of ads at home. I dunno.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
BR2 looks good and I plan to see it...just as soon as it's available to watch at home. I just don't care to spend what it costs to go to the theater for most movies. I hate how much the box office dictates the types of movies that get made, but obviously it makes sense. But I think it's perfectly reasonable that people go see the transformers and marvel movies and all that at the theater but not the slow-paced dialogue heavy sci-fi films. If I'm spending 10 bucks to see a movie in the theater, I want the theater to enhance my experience. I want explosions and flashy lights and big sound. I can listen to a guy talk just as well in my living room. Do I think Thor Ragnarok is going to be a better movie than BR2049? No, I don't. But you bet I'm going to see Thor in theaters and will wait to watch BR.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
BR2 looks good and I plan to see it...just as soon as it's available to watch at home. I just don't care to spend what it costs to go to the theater for most movies. I hate how much the box office dictates the types of movies that get made, but obviously it makes sense. But I think it's perfectly reasonable that people go see the transformers and marvel movies and all that at the theater but not the slow-paced dialogue heavy sci-fi films. If I'm spending 10 bucks to see a movie in the theater, I want the theater to enhance my experience. I want explosions and flashy lights and big sound. I can listen to a guy talk just as well in my living room.

This is generally good sense for a movie like BR. You don't lose much by watching a long, bizarre borderline art-house flick at home on your setup. But in the case of BR2049, I'd have to disagree. The scoring and sound design in this movie were incredible. Much like in the original, it went a long way towards setting the mood and providing gravity. Zimmer and Wallfisch did a masterful job. And as a bit of a synth nerd, I love that they went back to using a super old Yamaha CS-80 as their primary weapon-of-choice. Just as Vangelis used to great effect in the original film. So to see this on the big screen only made sense, to me.

I get "escapism" movies. I like them, too sometimes. But man... they are just such garbage, anymore. I guess my patience for movies like that has run thin in my dotage. Get off my lawn, Transformers!

I saw 2049 last Saturday. It was a bit too long for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. All the characters were great and the scenery is amazing.

I can understand this. I think that's what scared so many away. But it didn't even occur to me by the end that I had been sitting there almost 3 hours.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is generally good sense for a movie like BR. You don't lose much by watching a long, bizarre borderline art-house flick at home on your setup. But in the case of BR2049, I'd have to disagree. The scoring and sound design in this movie were incredible. Much like in the original, it went a long way towards setting the mood and providing gravity. Zimmer and Wallfisch did a masterful job. And as a bit of a synth nerd, I love that they went back to using a super old Yamaha CS-80 as their primary weapon-of-choice. Just as Vangelis used to great effect in the original film. So to see this on the big screen only made sense, to me.

I'm sure I'd enjoy hearing it like that. I just don't think I care enough about that to pay for it.

I get "escapism" movies. I like them, too sometimes. But man... they are just such garbage, anymore. I guess my patience for movies like that has run thin in my dotage.
I just don't agree with this. There's still a lot of great movies being made, both "good" and "fun" types. That said, I'm a huge comic book and star wars nerd , so... :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... I am, too.

To me... the new Star Wars movies are the closest I get to going out to see "escapism" movies. If it were not considered incredibly rude, I'd like seeing more blockbuster type movies in the theater if I were allowed to loudly lampoon them a la MST3K. I guess I already have limited patience with Hollywood cinema to begin and always have. I don't necessarily judge others for wanting to spend their money on fluff, I just don't have much patience for it, myself.

On a separate but related note, much as I love comic books, I guess I'm a little worn out by the non-stop deluge of those movies. Logan was badass, though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean... I am, too.

To me... the new Star Wars movies are the closest I get to going out to see "escapism" movies. If it were not considered incredibly rude, I'd like seeing more blockbuster type movies in the theater if I were allowed to loudly lampoon them a la MST3K. I guess I already have limited patience with Hollywood cinema to begin and always have. I don't necessarily judge others for wanting to spend their money on fluff, I just don't have much patience for it, myself.

On a separate but related note, much as I love comic books, I guess I'm a little worn out by the non-stop deluge of those movies. Logan was badass, though.
I probably only see 3 or 4 movies a year in theaters. It's pretty much the exact number of Marvel and Star Wars movies that come out each year :laugh: I think the last time I went to the theater for something else was Mad Max Fury Road.

edit: actually, no. I saw Dunkirk in theaters this year. That was a good theater movie for sure.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I probably only see 3 or 4 movies a year in theaters. It's pretty much the exact number of Marvel and Star Wars movies that come out each year :laugh: I think the last time I went to the theater for something else was Mad Max Fury Road.

edit: actually, no. I saw Dunkirk in theaters this year. That was a good theater movie for sure.

Yeah. I mean... I don't want to come off as too much of a film hipster. I'm kinda like you, really... I only bother seeing a handful of movies on the big screen every year. I'm not some crazy film buff. I like to have fun, too. I don't insist on torturing myself with hours of dry dialogue while attempting to dissect every scene for some arcane meaning. I like to just sit sometimes and simply... be entertained. But I guess I also sort of have an acute sense of when I'm being nakedly pandered to and don't much care for having things explicitly spelled out to me every scene like I'm some sort of cretin.

Which I am. But that's besides the point.

Dunkirk DID look like a fun theater movie.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah. I mean... I don't want to come off as too much of a film hipster. I'm kinda like you, really... I only bother seeing a handful of movies on the big screen every year. I'm not some crazy film buff. I like to have fun, too. I don't insist on torturing myself with hours of dry dialogue while attempting to dissect every scene for some arcane meaning. I like to just sit sometimes and simply... be entertained. But I guess I also sort of have an acute sense of when I'm being nakedly pandered to and don't much care for having things explicitly spelled out to me every scene like I'm some sort of cretin.

Which I am. But that's besides the point.

Dunkirk DID look like a fun theater movie.
I don't think fun is the word I'd use for Dunkirk. It was just sort of tense the entire way through. Honestly, I think outside of theaters I'd have thought it was just okay. But in theaters, I loved it. I'll also probably never watch it again :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I gotcha. That's fun for me, though. When a film can have you chewing your fingernails all the way through while bombarding you (in a good way) visually and aurally... that's a good night out at the theater. The worst to me is if I'm sitting there bored and uninspired. Movies can be huge, flashy and loud with "name" actors and still bore me to tears.

Like... after watching the preview for "Geostorm" last night, I was like "Yup... never watching that horseshit."

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I gotcha. That's fun for me, though. When a film can have you chewing your fingernails all the way through while bombarding you (in a good way) visually and aurally... that's a good night out at the theater. The worst to me is if I'm sitting there bored and uninspired. Movies can be huge, flashy and loud with "name" actors and still bore me to tears.

Like... after watching the preview for "Geostorm" last night, I was like "Yup... never watching that horse****."
I'm pretty sure nobody is watching Geostorm :laugh: I think Gerard Butler is going to stop counting as a name actor pretty soon.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Heh... I thought about dropping the "name actor" part because that occurred to me, too. But Geostorm is just such a perfect example of the kind of awful movie I'm referring to that I just had to use it.

But yeah... maybe a flawed example, considering it hasn't really fulfilled the "profitable" part of my "shitty but profitable" gripe. Yet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Heh... I thought about dropping the "name actor" part because that occurred to me, too. But Geostorm is just such a perfect example of the kind of awful movie I'm referring to that I just had to use it.

But yeah... maybe a flawed example, considering it hasn't really fulfilled the "profitable" part of my "****ty but profitable" gripe. Yet.
as of now, it's made back about half of it's budget worldwide. Like 10% of it's budget it the US. I think this one is safe to call a flop.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yikes. Yeah... I just saw how it's opening weekend won't even cover it's (extensive) reshoots. Good.

And this movie took three years to make?!? Why?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad