OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: I'm Already Sick of Holiday Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yikes. Yeah... I just saw how it's opening weekend won't even cover it's (extensive) reshoots. Good.

And this movie took three years to make?!? Why?!?
There have always been bad movies like this. It just is what it is. No clue how anyone thinks something like that is going to work.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The Dick pic didn't scare her off. She stayed at my place til about 1:30 last night. And then came back today for more Dick. And by that, I mean she is borrowing Ubik.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I mean... I am, too.

To me... the new Star Wars movies are the closest I get to going out to see "escapism" movies. If it were not considered incredibly rude, I'd like seeing more blockbuster type movies in the theater if I were allowed to loudly lampoon them a la MST3K. I guess I already have limited patience with Hollywood cinema to begin and always have. I don't necessarily judge others for wanting to spend their money on fluff, I just don't have much patience for it, myself.

On a separate but related note, much as I love comic books, I guess I'm a little worn out by the non-stop deluge of those movies. Logan was badass, though.

Watch movies in Miami. One of the most entertaining experiences I've ever had at the theater was watching the Halloween remake. It was godawful, but the commentary from the audience had me in stitches. So many memorable scenes because of shit people said.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just got home from my trip to Pittsburgh. I smell like someone smeared a mix of half-rotten oranges and almonds over me and everything I own. Me and the wife got an email saying a decision had been made on her visa application but we've got to wait for the documents to arrive via snail mail and we're nervous as all hell because of how fast it went. I really want to go to sleep but I've gotta stay up and reset my body clock as I'm starting a new job tomorrow.

To vaguely tie this rant/whine into the current discussion - boy could I use some escapism right now. But good escapism. Its not truly escapism if dumb ass ideas keep reminding you that you're watching a film every five minutes...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm glad your trip went... well? I've clearly missed the backstory, here. Oranges and almonds? Were you running fruitcakes, or something? Is that how they get here?

Just read that 2049 is being pulled from theaters even earlier than expected. Anyone who wants to have their mind blown better go check it out sooner rather than later, I guess.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think fun is the word I'd use for Dunkirk. It was just sort of tense the entire way through. Honestly, I think outside of theaters I'd have thought it was just okay. But in theaters, I loved it. I'll also probably never watch it again :laugh:

I could picture myself enjoying that in a home theater or something like that...but if it's not a really good TV & sound system...yeah, I think I may be happy with just seeing it that one time in theaters.

It was a damn good movie, but fun isn't a word I'd use to describe it at all...

2049 failing is yet another notch making 2017 the worst goddamned year since...last year. That movie is so much better than it has any business being...but it requires critical thought, so there was no way in hell it was going to be a success.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm with ya, Big. But lets be honest... it almost feels right this way. Much like the original that came before it.

Like... "Boo 2" is outperforming it in the box office, right now. But anybody who cares about film won't remember "Boo 2" in 20 years and I'm quite confident they'll remember 2049.

That doesn't make it any less disappointing that people have to be spoon-fed dreck in order to prop up the industry, given.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Boo 2 won't be remembered in a damn month. This is why the Hollywood system is broken - it's a business that exists to make money and people have made it clear that dumb, stupid shit is more deserving of their money than anything requiring critical thought, so we just get more and more money thrown at effects while every writer worth half a damn escapes to television or streaming series.

I mean, this isn't new, there's a reason I decided a dozen damn years ago that I wanted to write scripted series instead of follow my initial dream to direct movies...there's a chance a television show I've created could actually be made and find enough of an audience to carve out a niche for itself, but no chance of a movie I'd make finding enough of an audience to be anything more than a cult success (read: unprofitable for basically everyone in the creative process). It's just frustrating. And yeah, I do see the poetry of it likely following it's predecessor's footsteps...but unlike the original this one got critical acclaim right out of the gate. It would have been nice to see that rewarded.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm glad your trip went... well? I've clearly missed the backstory, here. Oranges and almonds? Were you running fruitcakes, or something? Is that how they get here?

Just read that 2049 is being pulled from theaters even earlier than expected. Anyone who wants to have their mind blown better go check it out sooner rather than later, I guess.

I'm a big believer in dropping big plot points early and never explaining them properly :D

The smell is just what the travel funk smelled like to me. Sadly I had nothing delicious with me.

I did want to go see 2049 while I was over there, but I'd agreed to watch Kingsman 2 with the wife and we only had time for one film. Might try and catch it over in the UK though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The 2nd one is pretty bad. I regret paying to see that movie. The 1st is fantastic, but the 2nd one just dropped the ball in every way possible.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's disappointing. I really liked the first one and was looking forward to picking up the new one on Blu-Ray at some point.

It's funny how I kind of always scoffed at the concept of building a DVD/Blu-Ray collection but now have a giant shelf of steelbooks. I mean... mostly because I get a massive discount on them... but still.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Boo 2 doing well doesn't bug me because it delivers on exactly what you expect from it. It's not good in any objective sense, but if you're the type of person that enjoys Tyler Perry, you'll get your money's worth.

The fact that the complete abortion of a Ghostbusters remake outperformed 2049 makes me nauseous, though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't judge. Or try not to. Everyone is just looking to be entertained. It's depressing but it sorta is what it is. I just used Boo 2 as a relevant example because it's in theaters, now.

But lets not talk about the Ghostbusters remake, OK? I've been doing a really good job lately of preventing that big, dangerous-looking vein in my temple from throbbing uncontrollably.

Talk about ruining your childhood a piece at a time. I even had close friends who said people were being too harsh and to give it a chance because it's a "fun romp." Get the f*** outta here with that. It was tripe.

Damnit. Too late.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I even had someone try to play the "sexism" angle on me after one of my near-hour-long rants about what an abomination that movie was. Not directed at my critiques but towards the negative critical reception the movie had gotten, in general.

The nerve!

It has nothing to do with the sex of the lead characters, to me. Wanna make 'em all women? Terrific! They even cast some pretty damned funny ladies. But shit is shit, man.

And I nearly did, man. Have a crisis, I mean. I was like "Do I know you? Who have you been hanging out with? Is that a scar on your forehead?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandinho

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Exactly man, making them all women could have been a very creative way to subvert some of the themes of the original, whilst remaining true to the spirit. You could have pleased longtime fans and tapped into a new audience at the same time. It could have been great.

You just can't achieve all of those things with Paul Feig and a studio intent on pushing their vision through to the detriment of everything else. They took the lazy approach and the product was garbage as a result.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Boo 2 doing well doesn't bug me because it delivers on exactly what you expect from it. It's not good in any objective sense, but if you're the type of person that enjoys Tyler Perry, you'll get your money's worth.

The fact that the complete abortion of a Ghostbusters remake outperformed 2049 makes me nauseous, though.

If you look at the box office, any movie that requires you to have an actual attention span, doesn't do well. This movie required it. But virtually every other movie has so much SFX and big action sequences that you don't really need to pay attention to anything but sit back and be wowed by flashy shiny things.

I liked Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was amazing for a sequel after so many years.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
If you look at the box office, any movie that requires you to have an actual attention span, doesn't do well. This movie required it. But virtually every other movie has so much SFX and big action sequences that you don't really need to pay attention to anything but sit back and be wowed by flashy shiny things.

I liked Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was amazing for a sequel after so many years.

I agree and I disagree. I agree that 2049 is a great movie. I disagree that no movie which requires an attention span will do well, since doing well is entirely relative. For example, Arrival did extremely well in the box office, even though it only earned $10 million more than 2049. The reason being that it had somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of 2049's budget. 2049's poor box office performance was due to it having a large budget. In that sense, I do think it's fair to say that no movie which requires an attention span AND has a budget north of $100 million will do well. All of Villeneuve's movies have done well financially and all of them have required attention spans, but none of them have had the budget of 2049.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I liked arrival. I loved most of it but not the ending so much. Overall I think I preferred Sicario. Haven't seen anything else from him. But maybe I just love Emily Blunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig