NCAA: Big 12 to interview 17 schools for expansion

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Lets just remember (we talked about in a thread on the Business form) but adding teams triggers ESPN/Fox to automatically pay more for the added teams. They literally could invite Idaho and see an increase just automatically. The tv networks really dont want the B12 expanding because they know all of these teams are kinda crap in terms of brands, and they already pay less for them now.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Tulane? Really?

Just saw UCF on that list. I just don't understand the appeal.

And Rice. How in the Hell did they get in there? Rice contributes literally nothing to the Big 12. They only rarely find real success in C-USA and haven't been to a major bowl game since the early 60s. Their games aren't even on the radio in the market anymore, let alone on TV.

This whole process feels aimless. It's a little like the old Big East near the end.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've seen to many variations of this list and every time I see it I'm so glad Mizzou left the Big 12.

Cincinnati? UConn? Houston? Tulane? Boise State? USF?

Wow.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Colorado, Mizzou and Nebraska leaving the Big 12 is why they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Oh for sure. You've got to remember that Mizzou and Aggy left the year after Colorado and Nebraska. This would have been the list to get to 14 as well, I'd imagine. Just a nightmare.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I've seen to many variations of this list and every time I see it I'm so glad Mizzou left the Big 12.

Cincinnati? UConn? Houston? Tulane? Boise State? USF?

Wow.

Eh Cincy is fine. As I've said a few times before though where they REALLY ****ed up was not adding Louisville as #11 right off the bat. Add them as #11 when they added TCU and WVU and they're in a much better place.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Random googling and heck even Texas and oaklahoma were about to leave the big 12 a few years ago

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/5/9/11640960/oklahoma-pac-big-12-expansion-president

Yeah thats something I'm glad didn't happen. Oklahoma and Texas playing in the Pac-10 would have been a logistical nightmare. They were trying to get Texas Tech and A&M to join too IIRC so they wouldn't be so isolated from the rest of the conference but A&M was already trying to get into the SEC.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
UCF is the biggest college in the country by enrollment. If they chose to focus more resources into athletics they could develop into a solid power 5 conference member.

That and getting a strong foot into the Florida recruiting and TV market doesn't hurt.

Doubt they pick them though, I see them going with Boise and Houston.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
^ I think BYU could work too.

And SMU, CSU and Rice have geography going for them. But geography has been throw out the window in realignment the last 10 or so years.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
None of the teams on the table would have been net benefits, but the fact the Big 12 can't really attract anyone notable is also a sign of that conference's weakness. Texas + a bunch of empty land is probably not viable vs the super conferences in the more heavily populated parts of the country.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
See you in the summer when the Big 12 is shutout of the playoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad