NCAA: Big 12 to interview 17 schools for expansion

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
First off, the article states that they will at most expand by four, and more likely by only two or none at all. But, an interesting list, albeit one with only a few medium-hitters:

BYU
Boise State
Cincinnati
Colorado State
East Carolina
Houston
Memphis
New Mexico
Northern Illinois
SMU
Southern Florida
Temple
Tulane
UCF
UConn

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...er-bob-bowlsby-interview-17-schools-expansion

Does not list who the remaining two schools are.

Would be neat to see another major conference Illinois school, though.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
This is most likely gonna be byu and one of Boise st/Colorado state.

Get that Colorado/Colorado state game to mean a lot more

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado State? It should be a bigger deal to give West Virginia a closer rival.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Colorado State? It should be a bigger deal to give West Virginia a closer rival.

Honestly that's the biggest reason I think Cincy is a lock. They can get WVU someone nearby and it sounds like OU wants them as well for whatever reason.

Unless it's a 4 team expansion, then it's probably Cincy, UConn, and two western teams (2 of Houston/BYU/CSU)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I really want CSU to get this, but they seem like such a supreme underdog.

They probably have a better shot then you might think, especially if they're seriously looking at the 14 team option. Maybe not at the top of the list but definitely right there at the top of the 2nd tier of the list.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly that's the biggest reason I think Cincy is a lock. They can get WVU someone nearby and it sounds like OU wants them as well for whatever reason.

Unless it's a 4 team expansion, then it's probably Cincy, UConn, and two western teams (2 of Houston/BYU/CSU)

Cincy would be a good move because of the market, and also because it's a great recruiting strategy. Kids from Ohio who can't get into Ohio State have another in-state before going mid-major.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As a part-time Colorado State fan this actually intrigues me, since that one makes a bit of sense.

Lots of random schools on that list...plenty of attempts at securing a television market despite limited interest (Temple is in Philly, but how many Philadelphians really care about Temple? Northern Illinois could get your foot in the door for Chicago, but an even smaller percentage of Chicagoans have any sort of ties to NIU), a couple basketball schools that make varying levels of geographical sense (Cincinnati isn't that close to it, but at least it's in the same range as WVU, while UConn is...far). New Mexico fits the geographical footprint and would bring a good basketball program, but that football team would lose every conference game by 40 and Albuquerque isn't a really desirable market.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As a part-time Colorado State fan this actually intrigues me, since that one makes a bit of sense.

Lots of random schools on that list...plenty of attempts at securing a television market despite limited interest (Temple is in Philly, but how many Philadelphians really care about Temple? Northern Illinois could get your foot in the door for Chicago, but an even smaller percentage of Chicagoans have any sort of ties to NIU), a couple basketball schools that make varying levels of geographical sense (Cincinnati isn't that close to it, but at least it's in the same range as WVU, while UConn is...far). New Mexico fits the geographical footprint and would bring a good basketball program, but that football team would lose every conference game by 40 and Albuquerque isn't a really desirable market.

I think enough Philadelphians would care about Temple a lot if they joined a big conference and were able to keep up with them. Temple has to go a few more rounds before then though, but they're already trying to leverage one great year into a stadium deal. That said they showed that there was a Temple-specific market here that was left dormant because their football program was so poor, last year was almost like watching all the Blackhawks fans coming out of the woodwork around 2008. Philadelphia in general is an underserved college football market, Virginia Tech is one of the 4 or 5 most popular FBS schools here.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Purely as a CFB fan with no horse in the race, who just wants more games involving good programs, Boise St and BYU please.

I really dont get the CSU appeal, and Im not convinced B12 branding automatically makes UCF/USF/Temple CFB markets. UConn is close to peak realignment silliness to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad