Biased Commentators

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Romanuk is ok as long as he sticks to the "play by play" role ... When he engages with or does the "color commentator" the broadcast fails! They should do a 3 man unit with Romanuk ;)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't have an issue with Romanuk or whatever people complain about. but the argument is every other team had their regional team. Bowen + Ralph basically lost their jobs and went radio only. If I wanted to appeal to someone in the region I'd think having two passionate people about the Leafs would draw more people than a more neutral party.
Among the Canadian teams it was only the Canucks, Oilers and Flames who kept the same regional broadcasters for their games on Sportsnet, who they already had prior to Rogers getting the TV rights across Canada.

The Jets regional games are on TSN3 and are broadcast by Dennis Beyak.

The Senators regional games are on TSN5 and they are usually split between Gord Miller or Chris Cuthbert.

The Canadiens regional games are on TSN2 in the Montreal region only if you want to watch it in English and those are broadcast by John Bartlett.

If any of those teams are scheduled for a national game on Sportsnet, Rogers will select a set of broadcasters already working for them. For example during the Leafs season opener in Winnipeg last year it was Hughson and Simpson broadcasting that game.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Only about 15 Leafs games on Sportsnet are regional games — compared To 40-some regional games for Canucks, Oilers, and Flames. Sportsnet may simply not feel that it is worth employing a separate Leafs regional crew for that few broadcasts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Only about 15 Leafs games on Sportsnet are regional games — compared To 40-some regional games for Canucks, Oilers, and Flames. Sportsnet may simply not feel that it is worth employing a separate Leafs regional crew for that few broadcasts.
What you forgot is prior to Rogers getting the national right across Canada they already had Joe Bowen calling Leafs regional games on Sportsnet Ontario. So why on earth would they go out and hire Paul Romanuk to replace him?

Reactions: Trawna Phan

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What you forgot is prior to Rogers getting the national right across Canada they already had Joe Bowen calling Leafs regional games on Sportsnet Ontario. So why on earth would they go out and hire Paul Romanuk to replace him?

Before the Rogers national deal, there were more regional Leaf games on Sportsnet -- plus Sportsnet had no national broadcast teams so they needed someone to do the Leafs games. Rogers didn't hire Romanuk to replace Bowen. They hired Romanuk to be their number two national play by play guy. With only 15 regional Leafs games, they decided to use him there as well.

Also, I think that Bowen and Ralph are employees of MLSE and not Sportsnet and TSN Radio, so that may have played a part in the decision.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Before the Rogers national deal, there were more regional Leaf games on Sportsnet -- plus Sportsnet had no national broadcast teams so they needed someone to do the Leafs games. Rogers didn't hire Romanuk to replace Bowen. They hired Romanuk to be their number two national play by play guy. With only 15 regional Leafs games, they decided to use him there as well.

Also, I think that Bowen and Ralph are employees of MLSE and not Sportsnet and TSN Radio, so that may have played a part in the decision.
So even with the number of Leafs regional games on Sportsnet prior to them getting the national broadcast rights compared to what it is today, I still think they should have kept Bowen for the regional games and some Leafs nationally televised games if Hughson or Romanuk were not available, like on a Wednesday night. As we have seen with the Canucks, Oilers and Flames they will use their regional broadcasters for their nationally televised games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I also wanted to mention I don't think Bowen doing games on the radio for both TSN and Sportsnet would be a factor. For example during Toronto Raptors games on Sportsnet the analyst is Leo Rautins. However Rautins is also on the TSN panel when they show Raptors games.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I honestly don't know what your trying to say, because that does not make any sense.

The target audience for a Leafs game is hardcore Leafs fans that follow them everyday. Someone like Joe Bowen made it exciting to watch with his holy mackinaw calls.

During the 2016-2017 season when Toronto was playing Arizona which was a regional game on Sportsnet I remember Paul Romanuk said he hopped to see Shane Doan score his 400th NHL goal that night. Forgetting that it actually happened during that game, why on earth would any Leafs fans want to hear that from their "regional" broadcaster? Tell me when was the last time you heard any other regional broadcaster say they wish to see their team get scored on, even if it was going to be a milestone goal?
That is exactly my point....and yet you still watch even with Romanuk not being full on Leaf-centric.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Someone listens to Bobcat for his take on hockey? Who knew.
People listening to him for any sport is laughable. He's a baseball "expert" who doesn't know shit about baseball. The older crowd, men 55+ love him, and that's about it. He speaks in simple terms and doesn't really know any sport all that well as he's stuck in the 70's and needs to fill air time with pointless banter. John Shannon is the worst regular on the show, I've never heard someone flip so quickly on his opinion on something. I'm a radio host myself and it's baffling that PTS has the biggest following in the country. The show isn't funny, isn't engaging and isn't informative.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
People listening to him for any sport is laughable. He's a baseball "expert" who doesn't know **** about baseball. The older crowd, men 55+ love him, and that's about it. He speaks in simple terms and doesn't really know any sport all that well as he's stuck in the 70's and needs to fill air time with pointless banter. John Shannon is the worst regular on the show, I've never heard someone flip so quickly on his opinion on something. I'm a radio host myself and it's baffling that PTS has the biggest following in the country. The show isn't funny, isn't engaging and isn't informative.
I guess since McCown has been around along time he has a group of loyal listeners. Personally speaking I say OverDrive is a much better show so give me Hayes, O'Neil and McLennan anytime over McCown.

Also since during the months of July and August both O'Neil and McLennan are not on and it's Hayes doing the show by himself which he is still good at, maybe that's why people still listen to McCown because he is still on 12 months a year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
People listening to him for any sport is laughable. He's a baseball "expert" who doesn't know **** about baseball. The older crowd, men 55+ love him, and that's about it. He speaks in simple terms and doesn't really know any sport all that well as he's stuck in the 70's and needs to fill air time with pointless banter. John Shannon is the worst regular on the show, I've never heard someone flip so quickly on his opinion on something. I'm a radio host myself and it's baffling that PTS has the biggest following in the country. The show isn't funny, isn't engaging and isn't informative.
I haven’t listened to him in years, he’s just mailing it in and he sort of revels in it. Overdrive a million times better.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I’m in that demographic, and I used to listen all the time, however McCown has become more dense in his old age. I still listen ocassionally,because there are not many options.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I also wanted to mention I don't think Bowen doing games on the radio for both TSN and Sportsnet would be a factor. For example during Toronto Raptors games on Sportsnet the analyst is Leo Rautins. However Rautins is also on the TSN panel when they show Raptors games.

no but i think wanting to have their own people in made a difference. I remember (or maybe i'm just confusing the two) Bowen doing games on TSN (regional) then if it was National, that's when we got Gord/Cuthbert.

now it's Gord/Ray, Gord/MJ, Cuthbert/Ray, or Cuthbert/MJ.
which is a lot better than Bowen

i like Bowen and Ralph, but i just firmly believe they are better suited for radio. and regardless of the delay or whatever - i think if people truly wanted to, they'd just watch the game and hear the radio call.

There is nothing wrong with Romanuk He's more partisan than leaf homer, but so what. he has his dumbo sayings (as does everyone), and he makes mistakes but he's not as horrid as a lot of people make him out to be. you just grow used to it. Same with Hughson and Simpson. are they Cole and Neale. No. Are they Cuthbrt and Ray/MJ? No. but they aren't as horrible as people make it sound either.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As an aside anyone now if Overdrice is doing well ratings wise?
When I was in broadcasting school overdrive got crushed by PTS. I used to have access to exact figures, not anymore. I've met Brian a few times, he's a legit dude but there were only 2 of us in the class who even knew who he was. His dad was one of my profs as well. Bill is on 1010 still IIRC.

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
no but i think wanting to have their own people in made a difference. I remember (or maybe i'm just confusing the two) Bowen doing games on TSN (regional) then if it was National, that's when we got Gord/Cuthbert.

now it's Gord/Ray, Gord/MJ, Cuthbert/Ray, or Cuthbert/MJ.
which is a lot better than Bowen

i like Bowen and Ralph, but i just firmly believe they are better suited for radio. and regardless of the delay or whatever - i think if people truly wanted to, they'd just watch the game and hear the radio call.

There is nothing wrong with Romanuk He's more partisan than leaf homer, but so what. he has his dumbo sayings (as does everyone), and he makes mistakes but he's not as horrid as a lot of people make him out to be. you just grow used to it. Same with Hughson and Simpson. are they Cole and Neale. No. Are they Cuthbrt and Ray/MJ? No. but they aren't as horrible as people make it sound either.
Up until that point Bowen was calling regional games on Sportsnet and TSN had their own guys (Gord Miller/Chris Cuthbert) when they broadcast a Leafs game, no matter if it was a TSN regional or national game. That was the 2013-2014 season which was the last year TSN had the national rights on Wednesday nights and got to broadcast other events like the NHL draft.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4