Biased Commentators

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
:laugh:

The Bobcat has done many things in Toronto but founding the Majors isn't one of them. There are more then a few posters here whom I really respect for both their general hockey knowledge and their ability to not mythologize that knowledge, nor become fawning fans.

McCown once kicked Bettman off his show after the umpteenth argument they had on air, no one else would dare, and Bettman still comes on.

He kicks everyone off that vehemently disagrees with him.

I listen ocassionally, but the guy isn’t very bright on number of subjects.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
:laugh:

The Bobcat has done many things in Toronto but founding the Majors isn't one of them. There are more then a few posters here whom I really respect for both their general hockey knowledge and their ability to not mythologize that knowledge, nor become fawning fans.

McCown once kicked Bettman off his show after the umpteenth argument they had on air, no one else would dare, and Bettman still comes on.

Unless it's another junior hockey team I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure I heard McCown say it himself on air when mourning about the team shutting down. I can't recall what his involvement was, might have been as simple as an investor.

If I'm wrong either way, it still begs the question why he would have made that list of most influential people in hockey.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
O-Dog, Boodles, and Hayes are so much better. They comes across as more "Regular Guys" and make me laugh. Bobcat is an uptight elitist.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I reply to a comment calling them neutral and fair and said they are bais which means that they are not neutral and fair. And now you are attempting to say that everyone is bais and saying I do not understand bais when it is clearly you that seems to struggle with gasping what bais is as it is not neutral and fair as is my point!

huh?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Unless it's another junior hockey team I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure I heard McCown say it himself on air when mourning about the team shutting down. I can't recall what his involvement was, might have been as simple as an investor.

If I'm wrong either way, it still begs the question why he would have made that list of most influential people in hockey.
unless i missed a few years along the way McCown to my knowledge has never had any financial interest with any OHL team(Cherry did own one at one time), it's said that Bob had a small stake in the Argos at one time, but I've got no knowledge of that..Bob at one time did own NBA territorial rights for Canada, which he bought for a song back in the early 70's

because he knows lot's of the owners, hockey ops, players and agents on a personal level and you'd be surprised of who listens to him and how broad his reach is

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
unless i missed a few years along the way McCown to my knowledge has never had any financial interest with any OHL team(Cherry did own one at one time), it's said that Bob had a small stake in the Argos at one time, but I've got no knowledge of that..Bob at one time did own NBA territorial rights for Canada, which he bought for a song back in the early 70's

because he knows lot's of the owners, hockey ops, players and agents on a personal level and you'd be surprised of who listens to him and how broad his reach is

Yeah I can't find anything about it online so I can't back it up. I would swear I heard him say though. Meh, either way.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
John Shannon, Cox, McCown, Brunt...etc. blatantly hates/attacks the Leafs, not even trying to hide it or anything. He's employed in the city where because of the high demand for the club they have several outlets devoted to coverage.

Now, I'm not saying don't ever be critical or have an differing opinion. But how are these individuals like him in the industry allowed to get air time?

I guess negative press sells too. Maybe I'm over reacting but it pisses me off sometimes when I hear these clown trash our team and get payed big bucks to do so.

/rant.

Big bucks... hahaha! Shannon gets most of his dough from running errands for McCown. As far as I can tell, Cox is now confined to writing about tennis and women's hockey. I wouldn't group Brunt with the others necessarily... he actually has some talent.

OpenNetSniper

Mar 27, 2013
Absolutely nothing wrong with 40+ year old family-men who talk about bar-play. They just living vicariously through the young pro athlete superstars.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
A lot Leaf fans have very thin skin. It's almost as if anything they hear that is beutral towards the Leafs gets interpreted as anti-Leaf.

Bowen isn't on Rogers because he is far too Leaf centric (and I love that about him!!!). They apply this rule across all regions to maintain national interest which is a good business model.

Reactions: therealkoho

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Bowen isn't on Rogers because he is far too Leaf centric (and I love that about him!!!). They apply this rule across all regions to maintain national interest which is a good business model.
For regional games on Sportsnet you should know that Rogers kept the regional announcers for the Canucks, Oilers and Flames once they got the rights in Canada. Plus they will use them for any nationally televised games across Canada for those teams on Wednesday nights. So based on that tell me why Rogers couldn't keep Joe Bowen on TV broadcasting Leafs games, instead of leaving us with Paul Romanuk and Jim Hughson.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
For regional games on Sportsnet you should know that Rogers kept the regional announcers for the Canucks, Oilers and Flames once they got the rights in Canada. Plus they will use them for any nationally televised games across Canada for those teams on Wednesday nights. So based on that tell me why Rogers couldn't keep Joe Bowen on TV broadcasting Leafs games, instead of leaving us with Paul Romanuk and Jim Hughson.
Because there is no one is Canada that is identified with one team as much as Bowen is with the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because there is no one is Canada that is identified with one team as much as Bowen is with the Leafs.
That shouldn't matter or who cares what fans of other teams across Canada might think. If Rogers didn't mind keeping the same regional broadcasters when they show a Canucks, Oilers and Flames game, they should have kept Bowen for when they show a Leafs game.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
that doesn't make sense.
and i say this as someone who doesn't care. if it's regional it doesn't matter. it's the region.
I don't think Rogers or even the NHL has any trouble finding eyeballs to watch the Leafs or sell advertising on Leaf broadcasts. I would think the target market for marketing Leaf games would be the casual NHL fan, not the hard core Leaf fan...he/she already follows passionately.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think Rogers or even the NHL has any trouble finding eyeballs to watch the Leafs or sell advertising on Leaf broadcasts. I would think the target market for marketing Leaf games would be the casual NHL fan, not the hard core Leaf fan...he/she already follows passionately.
I honestly don't know what your trying to say, because that does not make any sense.

The target audience for a Leafs game is hardcore Leafs fans that follow them everyday. Someone like Joe Bowen made it exciting to watch with his holy mackinaw calls.

During the 2016-2017 season when Toronto was playing Arizona which was a regional game on Sportsnet I remember Paul Romanuk said he hopped to see Shane Doan score his 400th NHL goal that night. Forgetting that it actually happened during that game, why on earth would any Leafs fans want to hear that from their "regional" broadcaster? Tell me when was the last time you heard any other regional broadcaster say they wish to see their team get scored on, even if it was going to be a milestone goal?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

but again that doesn't make sense.
or maybe my brains melted because it's so hot.

I don't have an issue with Romanuk or whatever people complain about. but the argument is every other team had their regional team. Bowen + Ralph basically lost their jobs and went radio only. If I wanted to appeal to someone in the region I'd think having two passionate people about the Leafs would draw more people than a more neutral party.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad