Bettman Story...can anyone confirm if it's true?

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:
You know, I have never heard a single cogent reason put forward by the anti-Bettman morons who frequented the board during the lockout and more recently (since the return of the NHL has been a success) don't say s**t.

What the **** is a "hockey man"? Are you a "hockey man", Weeb? What about you, NYRMessier? Do either of you have the faintest idea what you even mean when you throw around that hoary old phrase? Do you need to have played in the NHL to be a "hockey man"? Played pro hockey? Played pond hockey growing up? Played ball hockey? If there isn't a playing requirement, how many hours do you need to have watched? 50? 100? 1000? At what number of hours do you turn into a "hockey man"?

I have read this crap once too often. There are a number of hockey fans who still think of Bettman as a "basketball guy". What an utter load of horses**t. Any time Bettman is interviewed, he demonstrates a full command of what is going on in the sport, both economically and as a sport. According to some morons, they try to paint a p[icture where he doesn't know anything about the sport.

I am willing to bet that he watches more hockey than any person who posts on this board. How do I know this, you ask? I have no proof. However, I have the exact same amount of proof of the anti-Bettman morons who suggest he does not know the sport. In fact, I actually have more, since he always demonstrates knowledge of the sport when interviewed. So my version of the facts is more supported than any twit who says he knows nothing.
To me a "hockey man" in the NHL is someone who achieved their position in the league via their knowledge or past experience with the sport of hockey... not someone who achieved their position based on credentials which have nothing to do with hockey.

For example, if John Davidson gets the STL GM job I would say he's a hockey man. He'll get the job because of all his years of experience with the sport, either playing or announcing. He's already a hockey guy as he got his current job because of his knowledge of the sport.

If instead STL hires a lawyer, who's never really been a part of the sport, based on his law education and his ability to understand every aspect of the CBA and possibly find loopholes... I'd say he's not a hockey guy.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
gscarpenter2002 said:
And yet another string of unsupported (and unsupportable) positions and ridiculous statements.

"Childish" ticket giveaways? What in God's name are you talking about? Do you even pay attention to what you are typing? Talk about your nonsequiters ... :confused:

Putting aside your confusing thought process, you would naturally assume that tickets have never been given away - EVER - before this year, assuming that it has even happened to any great extent (which I do not believe it has). :help:

Your one sensible statement above is "It seems like people just buy into rhetoric so much". Admittedly, however, it is not quite how you seemed to intend it. Since apparently I have to explain the point to you very clearly, let me clarify for you: THAT WAS MY POINT. Sometime shortly after Bettman was appointed as commissioner, a few morons decided that, because Bettman is a 5 foot 5 New York lawyer, and he worked about 3 years for the NBA, he could not possibly be a "hockey man". He was a "basketball guy". Unfortunately, the nitwits who would use that phrase don't have enough brainpower to find their a** with both hands and a flashlight. They don't even know what the hell they are talking about when they use that hoary old phrase, let alone determine whether Bettman is in fact a "hockey man" (assuming that even means jacks**t - which it doesn't).

In other words, with respect to Bettman's supposed lack of "hockey man"-ness, stop continuing to "buy into the rhetoric". Do you follow me now?

According to morons who STILL use that phrase, it is still 1994 and Bettman is the new kid on the block. Pull your head out of your rear, dude. Bettman has been on the job for a dozen years. Every time he speaks, he demonstrates substantial hockey knowledge. One hears more hockey knowledge from any random sentence that Bettman has uttered in the past few years than you have demonstrated through the sum total of your postings here.

Why would a man who "demonstrates substantial hockey knowledge" put teams in the locations that demonstrate no ability in supporting hockey teams. I just dont understand how a guy who has been in office for 12 years and was ring leader in initiating two lockouts that costed 1.5 seasons, is still supported. Is it because now teams like Carolina, Florida and Phoenix can support teams? Maybe I'm a bit old school, but what in the world are teams doing there? I honestly believe that the 03-04 mess never occurs if there is no expansion into the south. Bettman supported this growth and looked at the financial benefits in the short run, turning a blind eye on what it would actually do to the sport.

So what happens... talent thins, teams in the south struggle on and off to fill their arenas, and teams like Toronto and New York can afford salaries 3 times as much as these franchises in non hockey markets. In a league without these teams, these problems never occur. So the league needs a change form the ordinary. Do fans in New York or Detroit or Canada think the game became boring in 2002? No, most people think it was fine the way it was for 100 years. So why impose the changes? because NATIONAL TV ratings are down and Florida and Carolina can't fill their arenas. I don't want to see something that has been great for so long, get transformed into something ridiculous to try and draw in fans that won't come to the arenas in markets that Bettman and his people misjudged.

I did a regression analysis for a college project and i regressed the statistics on attendance capacity, point totals for that season, and location. For location i did "warm" and "cold" climates, cold being those teams located in climates where the average low temperature in January is below 0 celcius. My analysis shows that location matters significantly in drawing fans to games. In fact, regardless of performance, out of the top 12 teams teams with the highest capacity, 11 were from the North. Aside from New Jersey, NY Islander and the shipwreck in Chicago, none of these colder climate teams were at the bottom of the list. When Tampa Bay and San Jose showed up in the early 90's, and I will concede it was before Bettman came in, why didn't Bettmans guys do this type of research when deciding to place teams in Nashville or Atlanta? I do not want to turn this into a contraction type thread, but im just stating facts about the location of some teams. Did the NHL think about what might happen when placing expansion teams in Atlanta? Or were they just thinking about the multi-million dollar franchise fees they would profit in the short run? They misjudged, he misjudged, and why shouldn't he take the brunt of the blame. If there was no salary cap, this guy would be out of a job no doubt about it. Too bad it's only the owners that decide this guys job.

If no cap, teams in these locations fold, and Bettmans job is lost. So now that we're back, we're going to make it more "exciting" by putting in an individual skills contest to decide the end of the "team game" as Bettman prides the NHL on. 4 on 4 overtimes etc, we don't need that stuff up here, but without something special, southern teams continue to sell 10,000 tickets a game. I sincerely apologize to fans of southern teams who are reading this.

I can't believe people still support the people running the NHL. They made catostrophic mistakes, and now try to cover them by embarassing people who have been real NHL fans for decades. Shootouts, myNHL ads and commercials, the Outdoor Lifetime Network... it's all a slap in the face to real hockey fans. It's almost as if Bettman says to his guys "don't worry about pleasing the vintage fan, because they will always be there, worry about selling this to ordinary Joe's who dont watch hockey right now." By the way, back to OLN. Somebody please tell me that ESPN wouldn't have accepted a revenue sharing or inexpensive type deal with the NHL. You better believe that the NHL took the contract with OLN because of the money, again, thinking of the short run benefits and the need to wet a red bottom line because of the lost season. ESPN would have been a million times better for the NHL right now, but the owners and Bettman choose the money over the exposure. It's all a slap in the face, and you guys continue to take it, and worst of all, you all actually defend this kind of behavior. It's unbelievable to me.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
nyrmessier011 said:
Why would a man who "demonstrates substantial hockey knowledge" put teams in the locations that demonstrate no ability in supporting hockey teams. I just dont understand how a guy who has been in office for 12 years and was ring leader in initiating two lockouts that costed 1.5 seasons, is still supported. Is it because now teams like Carolina, Florida and Phoenix can support teams? Maybe I'm a bit old school, but what in the world are teams doing there? I honestly believe that the 03-04 mess never occurs if there is no expansion into the south. Bettman supported this growth and looked at the financial benefits in the short run, turning a blind eye on what it would actually do to the sport.

So what happens... talent thins, teams in the south struggle on and off to fill their arenas, and teams like Toronto and New York can afford salaries 3 times as much as these franchises in non hockey markets. In a league without these teams, these problems never occur. So the league needs a change form the ordinary. Do fans in New York or Detroit or Canada think the game became boring in 2002? No, most people think it was fine the way it was for 100 years. So why impose the changes? because NATIONAL TV ratings are down and Florida and Carolina can't fill their arenas. I don't want to see something that has been great for so long, get transformed into something ridiculous to try and draw in fans that won't come to the arenas in markets that Bettman and his people misjudged.

I did a regression analysis for a college project and i regressed the statistics on attendance capacity, point totals for that season, and location. For location i did "warm" and "cold" climates, cold being those teams located in climates where the average low temperature in January is below 0 celcius. My analysis shows that location matters significantly in drawing fans to games. In fact, regardless of performance, out of the top 12 teams teams with the highest capacity, 11 were from the North. Aside from New Jersey, NY Islander and the shipwreck in Chicago, none of these colder climate teams were at the bottom of the list. When Tampa Bay and San Jose showed up in the early 90's, and I will concede it was before Bettman came in, why didn't Bettmans guys do this type of research when deciding to place teams in Nashville or Atlanta? I do not want to turn this into a contraction type thread, but im just stating facts about the location of some teams. Did the NHL think about what might happen when placing expansion teams in Atlanta? Or were they just thinking about the multi-million dollar franchise fees they would profit in the short run? They misjudged, he misjudged, and why shouldn't he take the brunt of the blame. If there was no salary cap, this guy would be out of a job no doubt about it. Too bad it's only the owners that decide this guys job.

If no cap, teams in these locations fold, and Bettmans job is lost. So now that we're back, we're going to make it more "exciting" by putting in an individual skills contest to decide the end of the "team game" as Bettman prides the NHL on. 4 on 4 overtimes etc, we don't need that stuff up here, but without something special, southern teams continue to sell 10,000 tickets a game. I sincerely apologize to fans of southern teams who are reading this.

I can't believe people still support the people running the NHL. They made catostrophic mistakes, and now try to cover them by embarassing people who have been real NHL fans for decades. Shootouts, myNHL ads and commercials, the Outdoor Lifetime Network... it's all a slap in the face to real hockey fans. It's almost as if Bettman says to his guys "don't worry about pleasing the vintage fan, because they will always be there, worry about selling this to ordinary Joe's who dont watch hockey right now." By the way, back to OLN. Somebody please tell me that ESPN wouldn't have accepted a revenue sharing or inexpensive type deal with the NHL. You better believe that the NHL took the contract with OLN because of the money, again, thinking of the short run benefits and the need to wet a red bottom line because of the lost season. ESPN would have been a million times better for the NHL right now, but the owners and Bettman choose the money over the exposure. It's all a slap in the face, and you guys continue to take it, and worst of all, you all actually defend this kind of behavior. It's unbelievable to me.

Yeah, those and other 'non-hockey markets' like Edmonton :shakehead

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:
Maybe I'm a bit old school, but what in the world are teams doing there?

:shakehead

You probably wouldn't make ignorant statements such as this if your team wasn't based in Manhattan.

Actually, you probably still would. Carry on.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I know I wouldn't and I apologize again for it, like i did in my little essay, but it has to be done when criticizing bettman.

Bring Back Bucky said:
Yeah, those and other 'non-hockey markets' like Edmonton :shakehead

well in the case of Edmonton it's seem it is the size of the market that hurts the team. I love hockey in Alberta and I hope it can remain there.

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
GameFace247SON said:
wait, did i miss HF "Make Up Your Own Word Day"?

DAMN!

Cogent

One entry found for cogent.
Main Entry: co·gent
Pronunciation: 'kO-j&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin cogent-, cogens, present participle of cogere to drive together, collect, from co- + agere to drive -- more at AGENT
1 : having power to compel or constrain <cogent forces>
2 a : appealing forcibly to the mind or reason : CONVINCING <cogent evidence> b : PERTINENT, RELEVANT <a cogent analysis of a problem>
synonym see VALID
- co·gent·ly adverb :teach:

GSC2k2*

GameFace247SON said:
wait, did i miss HF "Make Up Your Own Word Day"?

DAMN!
No, but you might have missed a few school days, perhaps. Sheesh.

GSC2k2*

nyrmessier011 said:

Based on your alleged regression analysis as described in this post and your reply to Bucky's post about Edmonton, your position appears to be "my analysis supports my position ... except where it doesn't ... but that other stuff isn't important".

As for your little theory about the lockout being caused by expansion, that is demonstrably ridiculous. The lockout was caused by one thing and one thing only - out-of-control salaries, brought on by a drastic imbalance in bargaining power between the parties, which itself was primarily caused by the ability of one side (the players) to collude and the corresponding inability of the other side to counteract that collusion. Expansion is and always was a complete red herring. Salary escalation to an out-of-control level would have occurred with or without expansion.

Why are the teams where they are? They are there because the areas have demonstrated an ability to support professional sports, which support is, in the modern world, driven almost entirely by corporate support - a point that many on this board blissfully ignore. There seems to be a perception that hockey is supported by the family of four going to the games. What baloney. Businesses buy the majority of tickets - not ALL, mind you, but the majority. Such has been the case for quite some time, with the exception of the crappier seats.

As for them "misjudging", since those markets are supporting their teams solidly, apparently there was no misjudging. What those markets could not do, however, was compete with northern cities with several times their population and corporate base, like Detroit or New York.

As for talent getting thin, you are again clueless beyond measure. With the influx of european players, the talent level has never been higher.

As for fans in Detroit and NY and Canada thinking the game became boring? Uh, yeah, they did. I don't know anyone who didn't think pre-lockout that the game had become boring, adn these are people who - like me - were lifelong fans. But no, according to you "most people think it was fine the way it was for 100 years". Grab a clue - PLEASE. You mean like when hockey actually had seven skaters instead of the current complement of six? Or when the average size of an NHLer was 5 foot ten and 180 pounds? Unfortunately, even ignoring your paucity of hockey knowledge, the game was not "the way it was for the past 100 years". Not even close. It was a bastardization of hockey.

Oh - as for your alleged regression analysis, you might want to check out the possibility that "warm" climate franchises also correlate to size of market and - far more importantly - the length of franchise history. Even with that gaping hole in your analysis, I do wonder how it is holding up with 21,000 fans showing up in Tampa Bay every game ...

Southern teams "continuing to sell 10,000 tickets a game"? Well, first off, the lowest NHL team in attendance sells 20% more than that, and that team is that reknowned southern hotspot in Long Island. Next? THe blistering hotspot that is Chicago. Nashville is the lowest southern expansion city with over 14,000 per game. I do understand that it is a better fairy tale when you say 10,000, but if you are going to make up numbers, don't settle for half measures, man. Say 6,000 tickets!!! Or better yet, say the southern teams "sell" ZERO tickets and the numbers are either giveaways, player friends and family, or mannequins. It would be no less valid.

So much for you stating "facts" about the location of some teams. You are confusing the word "facts" with "my own reasoning based on what I have already made up my mind about despite it being unsupported by anything other than what I think". An easy mistake.

Now, as for a "slap in the face" to "real hockey fans", I do wonder what you mean by "real hockey fans". That kind of thought really belongs over in the hockey/hiphop thread. You get my meaning?

As for OLN versus ESPN, I imagine you were also one of the guys slagging on Bettman for putting hockey on ESPN where it gets buried behind a million otehr sports in priority. Get real. Hockey was doing nothing on ESPN. It was the proverbial redheaded stepchild. Why would hockey be "a million times better off"? Can you articulate one reason? Even one? Here is a clue for you, my business-knowledge-challenged friend: the NHL wanted to maintain the value of their TV property. Without at least one fixed-price deal, their property has no value. It is as simple as that. It not a matter of choosing money over exposure. THere was NO exposure on ESPN. None. So it was either continue to be buried and marginalized by the ESPN doofuses or be a big fish in someone's small but growing pond.

As for the 4 on 4, shootouts, etc., that was not pushed by Bettman. As is the case with any manager worth his salt, he delegated it to a committee of people who have played in or managed the game. That is what they came up with.

Talk about people being unbelievable ...

Had enough yet, or shall I deconstruct you some more?

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:
Why would a man who "demonstrates substantial hockey knowledge" put teams in the locations that ... *CUT* ...It's all a slap in the face, and you guys continue to take it, and worst of all, you all actually defend this kind of behavior. It's unbelievable to me.
I like to think of myself as a fairly rational person, however, it has been a while since I have read an essay post such as this one where I would disagree with nearly every point made. I need not rehash as gscarpenter has done so already, and far more eloquently than I would have been able. As an add, to grow the sport, or any business for that matter, there is only so much growth that can take place when limiting one's self to existing locations. The league, not just Bettman, and even before Bettman and the position of the Commissioner existed, saw and seized an opportunity to grow the sport - attract new fans and build new fan bases.

I am Jack's Fish

What if the early pioneers in the NHL had said, "We don't need to put a team in New York City, who the hell plays hockey there? And Boston? They don't know anything about our sport!", one wonders what today would have been like...?

St. Louis? Bah!

Philadelphia? Who needs that place!

And oddly enough, Seattle was one of the original teams in the Ol' days of the NHL...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I am Jack's Fish said:
And oddly enough, Seattle was one of the original teams in the Ol' days of the NHL...

Actually, the Mets were never part of the NHL.

Although we were the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup.

I am Jack's Fish

Doctor No said:
Actually, the Mets were never part of the NHL.

Although we were the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup.

Yeah, I should have clarified that they were in one of the numerous early incarnations of the NHL...

GSC2k2*

AdmiralPred said:
I like to think of myself as a fairly rational person, however, it has been a while since I have read an essay post such as this one where I would disagree with nearly every point made. I need not rehash as gscarpenter has done so already, and far more eloquently than I would have been able. As an add, to grow the sport, or any business for that matter, there is only so much growth that can take place when limiting one's self to existing locations. The league, not just Bettman, and even before Bettman and the position of the Commissioner existed, saw and seized an opportunity to grow the sport - attract new fans and build new fan bases.
An excellent adder to the more ponderous tome that I set forth above.

Short, punchy, accurate and to the point.

Well said.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
gscarpenter2002 said:
Based on your alleged regression analysis as described in this post and your reply to Bucky's post about Edmonton, your position appears to be "my analysis supports my position ... except where it doesn't ... but that other stuff isn't important".

As for your little theory about the lockout being caused by expansion, that is demonstrably ridiculous. The lockout was caused by one thing and one thing only - out-of-control salaries, brought on by a drastic imbalance in bargaining power between the parties, which itself was primarily caused by the ability of one side (the players) to collude and the corresponding inability of the other side to counteract that collusion. Expansion is and always was a complete red herring. Salary escalation to an out-of-control level would have occurred with or without expansion.

Why are the teams where they are? They are there because the areas have demonstrated an ability to support professional sports, which support is, in the modern world, driven almost entirely by corporate support - a point that many on this board blissfully ignore. There seems to be a perception that hockey is supported by the family of four going to the games. What baloney. Businesses buy the majority of tickets - not ALL, mind you, but the majority. Such has been the case for quite some time, with the exception of the crappier seats.

As for them "misjudging", since those markets are supporting their teams solidly, apparently there was no misjudging. What those markets could not do, however, was compete with northern cities with several times their population and corporate base, like Detroit or New York.

As for talent getting thin, you are again clueless beyond measure. With the influx of european players, the talent level has never been higher.

As for fans in Detroit and NY and Canada thinking the game became boring? Uh, yeah, they did. I don't know anyone who didn't think pre-lockout that the game had become boring, adn these are people who - like me - were lifelong fans. But no, according to you "most people think it was fine the way it was for 100 years". Grab a clue - PLEASE. You mean like when hockey actually had seven skaters instead of the current complement of six? Or when the average size of an NHLer was 5 foot ten and 180 pounds? Unfortunately, even ignoring your paucity of hockey knowledge, the game was not "the way it was for the past 100 years". Not even close. It was a bastardization of hockey.

Oh - as for your alleged regression analysis, you might want to check out the possibility that "warm" climate franchises also correlate to size of market and - far more importantly - the length of franchise history. Even with that gaping hole in your analysis, I do wonder how it is holding up with 21,000 fans showing up in Tampa Bay every game ...

Southern teams "continuing to sell 10,000 tickets a game"? Well, first off, the lowest NHL team in attendance sells 20% more than that, and that team is that reknowned southern hotspot in Long Island. Next? THe blistering hotspot that is Chicago. Nashville is the lowest southern expansion city with over 14,000 per game. I do understand that it is a better fairy tale when you say 10,000, but if you are going to make up numbers, don't settle for half measures, man. Say 6,000 tickets!!! Or better yet, say the southern teams "sell" ZERO tickets and the numbers are either giveaways, player friends and family, or mannequins. It would be no less valid.

So much for you stating "facts" about the location of some teams. You are confusing the word "facts" with "my own reasoning based on what I have already made up my mind about despite it being unsupported by anything other than what I think". An easy mistake.

Now, as for a "slap in the face" to "real hockey fans", I do wonder what you mean by "real hockey fans". That kind of thought really belongs over in the hockey/hiphop thread. You get my meaning?

As for OLN versus ESPN, I imagine you were also one of the guys slagging on Bettman for putting hockey on ESPN where it gets buried behind a million otehr sports in priority. Get real. Hockey was doing nothing on ESPN. It was the proverbial redheaded stepchild. Why would hockey be "a million times better off"? Can you articulate one reason? Even one? Here is a clue for you, my business-knowledge-challenged friend: the NHL wanted to maintain the value of their TV property. Without at least one fixed-price deal, their property has no value. It is as simple as that. It not a matter of choosing money over exposure. THere was NO exposure on ESPN. None. So it was either continue to be buried and marginalized by the ESPN doofuses or be a big fish in someone's small but growing pond.

As for the 4 on 4, shootouts, etc., that was not pushed by Bettman. As is the case with any manager worth his salt, he delegated it to a committee of people who have played in or managed the game. That is what they came up with.

Talk about people being unbelievable ...

Had enough yet, or shall I deconstruct you some more?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

KrisKing*

I am Jack's Fish said:
What if the early pioneers in the NHL had said, "We don't need to put a team in New York City, who the hell plays hockey there? And Boston? They don't know anything about our sport!", one wonders what today would have been like...?

St. Louis? Bah!

Philadelphia? Who needs that place!

And what if they moved the Leafs to Philadelphia, and the Canadiens to St. Louis? Boy that would have been great for everybody.

GSC2k2*

richardsteele said:
And what if they moved the Leafs to Philadelphia, and the Canadiens to St. Louis? Boy that would have been great for everybody.
Comparing the Nordiques and Jets to the Leafs and Canadiens ...

Yeah, right. That bolsters your position. Big time.

Oh, and by the way? The owners in question moved those franchises. Not Evil Bettman. Get it through your melon.

KrisKing*

gscarpenter2002 said:
Comparing the Nordiques and Jets to the Leafs and Canadiens ...

Yeah, right. That bolsters your position. Big time.

Oh, and by the way? The owners in question moved those franchises. Not Evil Bettman. Get it through your melon.

Yeah, Bettman was powerless there. He was only the comissioner of the league. He didn't step in and help Buffalo, Ottawa, or Pittsburgh either right?

Just out of curiousity, where are you from?

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I'll chime in here with a no-so-rhetorical question (mostly just to stir the pot a little more, since I'm enjoying reading both sides of the debate).

This is a serious exercise, now. Think of this as an SAT question ;)

Do you feel that the National Hockey League is "better" - for you, personally, as a fan - than it was in 1994 when Bettman took office? What do you feel Bettman's impact on the game was that makes you feel one way or another? You can define "better" any way you like, just keep it to 40,000 words or less.

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
The lockout was caused by one thing and one thing only - out-of-control salaries, brought on by a drastic imbalance in bargaining power between the parties, which itself was primarily caused by the ability of one side (the players) to collude and the corresponding inability of the other side to counteract that collusion.

The ability to counteract is simple, it's called "don't sign guys like Bobby Holik to a ridiculous five-year, 45 million dollar contract."

Oh but wait, the owners are so HELPLESS against the ALMIGHTY and ALL-POWERFULL players. What can they do? I know, they can lockout the players and cancel the season just to show them who's the boss.

The bottom line is the owners hold just about ALL the cards and they fumbled them with Bettman at the helm which facilitated not one, but two lockouts and a cancelled season.

Ogopogo*

FlyerFan said:
The ability to counteract is simple, it's called "don't sign guys like Bobby Holik to a ridiculous five-year, 45 million dollar contract."

Oh but wait, the owners are so HELPLESS against the ALMIGHTY and ALL-POWERFULL players. What can they do? I know, they can lockout the players and cancel the season just to show them who's the boss.

The bottom line is the owners hold just about ALL the cards and they fumbled them with Bettman at the helm which facilitated not one, but two lockouts and a cancelled season.

Another bitter big market fan. Sorry buying a championship is no longer a possibility.

GSC2k2*

richardsteele said:
Yeah, Bettman was powerless there. He was only the comissioner of the league. He didn't step in and help Buffalo, Ottawa, or Pittsburgh either right?

Just out of curiousity, where are you from?
Ontario, originally from NB.

And you?

What is your point?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
This post says a LOT more about the original poster than it ever will about Bettman. Irrational and ignorant hate is an ugly thing.

rwilson99

FlyerFan said:

No 23 of the owner are HELPLESS against the ALMIGHTY POCKET BOOK of Bob Clarke and the PHILADELPHIA FLYERS.

10 Million for Chris Gratton.
Almost the Max for a broken down old man Forsberg, and 15 players going off for surgury after the season.

Now you get to pay for Bob Clarke's mistakes without screwing up the economic system for the entire league.

The Flyers are shaping up to be 06-07s version of the Boston Bruins, and that's if you can find 20 players to put on skates every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad