Bettman Story...can anyone confirm if it's true?

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
A friend of mine from Chicago said that when Bettman took office he was sent an honorary puck from someone else in the league office. Now, I was told that when he got the puck, he used it as a paperweight for a week until his secretary told him it was a hockey puck. :speechles

I for one... believe it.

Can anyone confirm that they also heard this story?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nyrmessier011 said:
I can confirm that anyone who beleives that Gary Bettman doesn't know what a hockey puck is, is an idiot.

I am Jack's Fish

nyrmessier011 said:
A friend of mine from Chicago said that when Bettman took office he was sent an honorary puck from someone else in the league office. Now, I was told that when he got the puck, he used it as a paperweight for a week until his secretary told him it was a hockey puck. :speechles

I for one... believe it.

This sounds like the dumbest story I have ever heard, and if you believe it, well...what does that say?

I use pucks for paperweights too. So?

I thought this was going to be the story from Pat Williams (Orlando Magic GM in the 90's) that when he heard Bettman was named the NHL GM and was given a honorary puck, that he spent five minutes trying to open it up. Which of course, was a joke from Pat.

But anyway, the original post is as ignorant as the Canadian columnist during the 95 strike that said that games weren't going to be played on Yom Kippur anymore...

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
bettman is not a hockey man and degraded the league since his reign started
bettman is an idiot no he isnt he gets payed very well. i would love to lock him in a room with sean avery for a week and let him hear about what he does wrong. lol
GARY BETTMAN IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE NHL since they lost stars to the wha. i despise bettman :teach:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
dannoabram said:
bettman is an idiot no he isnt he gets payed very well. i would love to lock him in a room with sean avery for a week and let him hear about what he does wrong. lol
GARY BETTMAN IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE NHL since they lost stars to the wha. i despise bettman :teach:

And punctuation and the English language despises you.

Ogopogo*

dannoabram said:

Bettman has saved the small market teams and allowed the Oilers to be competitive.

Might not have had a hockey background growing up but, he is a good man. All hail the salary cap! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I assume you are old enough to know better and maybe just playing a prank here.

You couldn't possibly have believed such a nonsensical story.

Or you know absolutely nothing about Bettman as a sports fan growing up or all the positive things he has done since he was in office. He has done some things not so positive but he's not the moron you depict.

If you really want to know, the person that has held the NHL back from meaningful progress for the last 10 years, was Bob Goodenow. That is a no-brainer.

I also assume that you know that a puck does make a good paperweight. I've seen it many times and that doesn't mean that people doing that don't know what a puck is.

This thread should win an award for something but I don't want to insult you for what because you may have had good intentions.

nyrmessier011 said:

I for one... believe it.

KrisKing*

ClassicHockey said:
I assume you are old enough to know better and maybe just playing a prank here.

You couldn't possibly have believed such a nonsensical story.

Or you know absolutely nothing about Bettman as a sports fan growing up or all the positive things he has done since he was in office. He has done some things not so positive but he's not the moron you depict.

If you really want to know, the person that has held the NHL back from meaningful progress for the last 10 years, was Bob Goodenow. That is a no-brainer.

I also assume that you know that a puck does make a good paperweight. I've seen it many times and that doesn't mean that people doing that don't know what a puck is.

This thread should win an award for something but I don't want to insult you for what because you may have had good intentions.

Whether he has or hasn't done positive things since he's taken the job doesn't change the fact that he didn't (and doesn't) know dickall about hockey. That much is obvious, even though the story does sound pretty far-fetched.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
richardsteele said:
Whether he has or hasn't done positive things since he's taken the job doesn't change the fact that he didn't (and doesn't) know dickall about hockey. That much is obvious, even though the story does sound pretty far-fetched.

Who cares if he doesn't know about hockey? His job is to sit in the offices and make economical decisions not a coach.

I am Jack's Fish

Hasbro said:
Someone made that joke when he was hired. The punchline was, he spend an hour trying to get it open.

check my first post. Pat Williams, GM of the Magic...

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I'm laughing my face off at how all of you are so worked up by this. Honestly it's hilarious, a place like HF has turned into a place where if you want to post something, you better prepare to hear negativity about what you have to say, rather than a few people discussing the topic.

Anyway...I wanted to see if anyone heard about this, I was just repeating a story I heard and me saying "I believe it" was nothing more than saying "i wouldn't doubt this is a true because the man is a hockey fool." Calm down, take a ****ing chill pill.

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
I would beleive it. The guy is a businessman, not a hockey man.

As for the person who said that he saved small market teams thanks to the cap, remember that he is the same one who over-expanded and moved all of the other small-market teams to ridiculous places in the South... He simply corrected his own monster, so don't give him any credit for getting back to square 1.

GSC2k2*

You know, I have never heard a single cogent reason put forward by the anti-Bettman morons who frequented the board during the lockout and more recently (since the return of the NHL has been a success) don't say s**t.

What the **** is a "hockey man"? Are you a "hockey man", Weeb? What about you, NYRMessier? Do either of you have the faintest idea what you even mean when you throw around that hoary old phrase? Do you need to have played in the NHL to be a "hockey man"? Played pro hockey? Played pond hockey growing up? Played ball hockey? If there isn't a playing requirement, how many hours do you need to have watched? 50? 100? 1000? At what number of hours do you turn into a "hockey man"?

I have read this crap once too often. There are a number of hockey fans who still think of Bettman as a "basketball guy". What an utter load of horses**t. Any time Bettman is interviewed, he demonstrates a full command of what is going on in the sport, both economically and as a sport. According to some morons, they try to paint a p[icture where he doesn't know anything about the sport.

I am willing to bet that he watches more hockey than any person who posts on this board. How do I know this, you ask? I have no proof. However, I have the exact same amount of proof of the anti-Bettman morons who suggest he does not know the sport. In fact, I actually have more, since he always demonstrates knowledge of the sport when interviewed. So my version of the facts is more supported than any twit who says he knows nothing.

Ogopogo*

WEEB said:

As for the person who said that he saved small market teams thanks to the cap, remember that he is the same one who over-expanded and moved all of the other small-market teams to ridiculous places in the South... He simply corrected his own monster, so don't give him any credit for getting back to square 1.

How exactly does putting a team in Tampa Bay put the Oilers at a competitive disadvantage?

GSC2k2*

WEEB said:

Oh, and by the way ... get your facts right. A great deal of the southern expansion was undertaken before Bettman began his tenure as commissioner. Those "ridiculous places" are doing just fine. 20,000 fans a night in the ridiculous place of Tampa Bay. There was no "monster" to correct. The small market teams existed in Canada as well (Calgary, Edmonton). You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
gscarpenter2002 said:
You know, I have never heard a single cogent reason put forward by the anti-Bettman morons who frequented the board during the lockout and more recently (since the return of the NHL has been a success) don't say s**t.

What the **** is a "hockey man"? Are you a "hockey man", Weeb? What about you, NYRMessier? Do either of you have the faintest idea what you even mean when you throw around that hoary old phrase? Do you need to have played in the NHL to be a "hockey man"? Played pro hockey? Played pond hockey growing up? Played ball hockey? If there isn't a playing requirement, how many hours do you need to have watched? 50? 100? 1000? At what number of hours do you turn into a "hockey man"?

I have read this crap once too often. There are a number of hockey fans who still think of Bettman as a "basketball guy". What an utter load of horses**t. Any time Bettman is interviewed, he demonstrates a full command of what is going on in the sport, both economically and as a sport. According to some morons, they try to paint a p[icture where he doesn't know anything about the sport.

I am willing to bet that he watches more hockey than any person who posts on this board. How do I know this, you ask? I have no proof. However, I have the exact same amount of proof of the anti-Bettman morons who suggest he does not know the sport. In fact, I actually have more, since he always demonstrates knowledge of the sport when interviewed. So my version of the facts is more supported than any twit who says he knows nothing.

:clap:

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Bettman also put a team in Minnesota back (about time), and they sell out every single game. Putting a team in Columbus was a great idea, as well, seeing all the fan support there. Tampa Bay has great attendance, almost 20,000 a night, and Dallas gets very good fan support, as well. Colorado has had a sellout streak since 1995, I think, and have grown into a dynasty (relocation was a GOOD decision here). Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, and Phoenix are all very big cities, and have a bunch of room to grow (winning teams will help a bunch). This year, Carolina has done pretty well attendance wise, and have sold out every playoff game. If the expansion teams get success, don't be surprised if you see Hartford, Kansas City, Winnipeg, and Houston next. Also, average attendance at NHL games are higher than at NBA games (don't believe me? Check this year's stats. No big TV Contract yet, though), the game has improved since the salary cap, and the Canadian teams and the small market teams have all been helped. I say, there is more good than bad about Bettman's tenure. :teach:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
hockydude5000 said:
Bettman also put a team in Minnesota back (about time), and they sell out every single game. Putting a team in Columbus was a great idea, as well, seeing all the fan support there. Tampa Bay has great attendance, almost 20,000 a night, and Dallas gets very good fan support, as well. Colorado has had a sellout streak since 1995, I think, and have grown into a dynasty (relocation was a GOOD decision here). Atlanta, Nashville, Miami, and Phoenix are all very big cities, and have a bunch of room to grow (winning teams will help a bunch). This year, Carolina has done pretty well attendance wise, and have sold out every playoff game. If the expansion teams get success, don't be surprised if you see Hartford, Kansas City, Winnipeg, and Houston next. Also, average attendance at NHL games are higher than at NBA games (don't believe me? Check this year's stats. No big TV Contract yet, though), the game has improved since the salary cap, and the Canadian teams and the small market teams have all been helped. I say, there is more good than bad about Bettman's tenure. :teach:

I heard the Sharks are a successful franchise as well.

Ogopogo*

gscarpenter2002 said:

If there was a post of the year award, this would win it.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
gscarpenter2002 said:

:clap:

And those twits to whom you (appropriately) refer are also known as parrots.

puckhead103*

dannoabram said:
neither was gil stein, john ziegler, clarence campbell, frank calder....

the only "hockey man" who ran the nhl was "red" dutton...who played NHL hockey in 1920's.....

stupid *ss...

puckhead103*

WEEB said:

boy, u need to read a little bit on your history...

the decision to start expansion was under john ziegler during the "original 21" NHL during the late 1980s......

read some old hockey news articles between 1989 to 1990, that majority of owners during the 21 team league advocated expansion.......all of this happened 3 years before bettman....

also it was the "owners" who picked bettman........

ed snyder back in 1988 predicted a 28 team league by the end of century...

like fred G. sanford would say....DUMMY!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad