Bettman Story...can anyone confirm if it's true?

FlyerFan

Jun 4, 2005
gscarpenter2002 said:
You know, I have never heard a single cogent reason put forward by the anti-Bettman morons who frequented the board during the lockout and more recently (since the return of the NHL has been a success) don't say s**t.

What the **** is a "hockey man"? Are you a "hockey man", Weeb? What about you, NYRMessier? Do either of you have the faintest idea what you even mean when you throw around that hoary old phrase? Do you need to have played in the NHL to be a "hockey man"? Played pro hockey? Played pond hockey growing up? Played ball hockey? If there isn't a playing requirement, how many hours do you need to have watched? 50? 100? 1000? At what number of hours do you turn into a "hockey man"?

I have read this crap once too often. There are a number of hockey fans who still think of Bettman as a "basketball guy". What an utter load of horses**t. Any time Bettman is interviewed, he demonstrates a full command of what is going on in the sport, both economically and as a sport. According to some morons, they try to paint a p[icture where he doesn't know anything about the sport.

I am willing to bet that he watches more hockey than any person who posts on this board. How do I know this, you ask? I have no proof. However, I have the exact same amount of proof of the anti-Bettman morons who suggest he does not know the sport. In fact, I actually have more, since he always demonstrates knowledge of the sport when interviewed. So my version of the facts is more supported than any twit who says he knows nothing.

The bottom line is that Bettman is a steward of the BUISINESS of hockey, not the SPORT of hockey.

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
This is so funny, all you people defending Bettman.

The NHL had been going down the drain throughout the Bettman regime, but now because he has put in a salary cap he is a god?

Salaries escalated like crazy during the old CBA, which was signed by Bettman, by the way. He relocated teams out of Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec City, wanting to get a big US TV contract by having more teams throughout the USA, which he never got by the way.

I know that you are all drinking the kool aid and listening to the mediatypes that are PAID to talk about how great the new myNHL is, but seriously, if you want good hockey look back at the 80s and early 90s. Would it be acceptable if, to increase scoring in baseball, the bases were moved from 90 feet to 80? Of course not, so why is it okay to add all kinds of gimmicks to the game of hockey?! Because some folks in the US don't like it? So what?! The only reason it wasn't economically viable anymore was because of this overexpansion which led to extra competition for players and thus higher salaries (good ole supply and demand), plus it diluted the level of play and made people turn it off.

Fact is, the franchises were more profitable before Bettman entered the picture.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
WEEB said:

The NHL had been going down the drain throughout the Bettman regime, but now because he has put in a salary cap he is a god?

Salaries escalated like crazy during the old CBA, which was signed by Bettman, by the way. He relocated teams out of Winnipeg, Hartford and Quebec City, wanting to get a big US TV contract by having more teams throughout the USA, which he never got by the way.

I know that you are all drinking the kool aid and listening to the mediatypes that are PAID to talk about how great the new myNHL is, but seriously, if you want good hockey look back at the 80s and early 90s. Would it be acceptable if, to increase scoring in baseball, the bases were moved from 90 feet to 80? Of course not, so why is it okay to add all kinds of gimmicks to the game of hockey?! Because some folks in the US don't like it? So what?! The only reason it wasn't economically viable anymore was because of this overexpansion which led to extra competition for players and thus higher salaries (good ole supply and demand), plus it diluted the level of play and made people turn it off.

Fact is, the franchises were more profitable before Bettman entered the picture.

ill clap for THAT. Just because he has somewhat fixed his mistakes by changing some things around doesn't mean that he is an ok commissioner now. Just because he says attendance is up, but doesnt point out the number of free tickets or childish ticket giveaways teams have concocted, doesn't mean we can all say "wow, attendance is up, it must be because of the great new rule changes, wow, thanks Gary." It seems like people just buy into rhetoric so much and it makes me nautious.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
WEEB said:

Bettman relocated those teams? Huh last I checked, Gary Bettman did not own a team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
WEEB said:

You mean back when there wasn't a national television contract? Or when there weren't major league sponsors? Or when no player besides Gretzky had an endorsement deal?

Here's a clue, the NHL and yes, even the players, are earning more money than ever before due to their national and worldwide exposure. Something the NHL lacked even more so back before Bettman was around.

dekem

Sep 2, 2005
Bettman didn't relocate Winnipeg and Quebec, they were sold to U.S. interests when no Canadian buyers stepped forward to keep the teams in those cities.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
as far as i could tell, the eighties led to the growth of hockey...ESPN latched onto hockey during that time and new fans were spawned. I think Bettman hopped onto something that was destined to grow.

My problem with Bettman was the way he thought he could easily "fix" the game. The game was freaking great and attractive before he ever got involved...it needed exposure and proper marketing but it didn't need huge changes...

So in his great marketing and business knowledge - FIGHTING was an easy target. Truth is fighting had a ROLE inthe game that was not easily replaced...

It is gone now and the game is good but i liked the days of old much better...

anyway, i don't think he was a true lover of the game...but i do think he is a very good business man.

KrisKing*

Ziggy Stardust said:
You mean back when there wasn't a national television contract? Or when there weren't major league sponsors? Or when no player besides Gretzky had an endorsement deal?

Here's a clue, the NHL and yes, even the players, are earning more money than ever before due to their national and worldwide exposure. Something the NHL lacked even more so back before Bettman was around.

The NHL hardly has a national television contract now. The NHL was the fastest growing sport when bettman took over. He managed to wreck it through a series of bizarre moves nobody knows about because they probably didn't follow hockey that long ago. Now he's just corrected a few of his mistakes, but the fact is the NHL is no more popular in the US than it ever was, and even less popular in some places. And the fans that have been loyal forever are becoming more disillusioned by the nonstop gimmicks that are added to the game.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
richardsteele said:
The NHL hardly has a national television contract now. The NHL was the fastest growing sport when bettman took over. He managed to wreck it through a series of bizarre moves nobody knows about because they probably didn't follow hockey that long ago. Now he's just corrected a few of his mistakes, but the fact is the NHL is no more popular in the US than it ever was, and even less popular in some places. And the fans that have been loyal forever are becoming more disillusioned by the nonstop gimmicks that are added to the game.

Were you aware that a panel of hockey execs vote and select what rules are added or changed?

So I guess you should voice your displeasure against all 30 hockey experts who have been tinkering with the rules to improve and open up the game.

Did you know that a "hockey man," Glen Sather was an advocate behind the automatic offsides rule? He felt that players would carry the puck more than dumping it in if they removed the delayed offside rule and it was his suggestion and idea for the league to rid of the delayed offsides rule.

And the fastest growing sport wasn't the NHL before Bettman took over. It was the NBA. That is why hockey execs wanted Bettman when they couldn't get Stern.

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
gscarpenter2002 said:
You know, I have never heard a single cogent reason put forward by the anti-Bettman morons who frequented the board during the lockout and more recently (since the return of the NHL has been a success) don't say s**t.

What the **** is a "hockey man"? Are you a "hockey man", Weeb? What about you, NYRMessier? Do either of you have the faintest idea what you even mean when you throw around that hoary old phrase? Do you need to have played in the NHL to be a "hockey man"? Played pro hockey? Played pond hockey growing up? Played ball hockey? If there isn't a playing requirement, how many hours do you need to have watched? 50? 100? 1000? At what number of hours do you turn into a "hockey man"?

I have read this crap once too often. There are a number of hockey fans who still think of Bettman as a "basketball guy". What an utter load of horses**t. Any time Bettman is interviewed, he demonstrates a full command of what is going on in the sport, both economically and as a sport. According to some morons, they try to paint a p[icture where he doesn't know anything about the sport.

I am willing to bet that he watches more hockey than any person who posts on this board. How do I know this, you ask? I have no proof. However, I have the exact same amount of proof of the anti-Bettman morons who suggest he does not know the sport. In fact, I actually have more, since he always demonstrates knowledge of the sport when interviewed. So my version of the facts is more supported than any twit who says he knows nothing.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

KrisKing*

Ziggy Stardust said:
Were you aware that a panel of hockey execs vote and select what rules are added or changed?

So I guess you should voice your displeasure against all 30 hockey experts who have been tinkering with the rules to improve and open up the game.

Did you know that a "hockey man," Glen Sather was an advocate behind the automatic offsides rule? He felt that players would carry the puck more than dumping it in if they removed the delayed offside rule and it was his suggestion and idea for the league to rid of the delayed offsides rule.

And the fastest growing sport wasn't the NHL before Bettman took over. It was the NBA. That is why hockey execs wanted Bettman when they couldn't get Stern.

The automatic offsides rule is hardly one of the rules i was talking about.

Wetcoaster

puckhead103 said:
neither was gil stein, john ziegler, clarence campbell, frank calder....

the only "hockey man" who ran the nhl was "red" dutton...who played NHL hockey in 1920's.....

stupid *ss...

?????????????

Clarence Campbell was most certainly a "hockey man".

He was a very good hockey player as well as a lacrosse player and excelled at several other sports coupled with his academic achievments which led to his Rhodes Scholarship following his law degree at the University of Alberta.

While in England studying at Oxford (1927-33) he organized hockey and lacrosse games and refereed them. Upon his return to Canada he was an amateur referee with the CAHA while practising law in Edmonton and was considered one of the best. The NHL came calling in 1936 and by the end of the 1936-37 season he was refereeing the Stanley Cup having established himself as a top official.

He left the NHL during the war enlisting as private and finishing as a lieutenant colonel commanding the Fourth Armoured Division being awarded the Order of the British Empire. When the war ended Campbell became a war crimes prosecutor and convicted German SS General Kurt Meyer for the murder of 15 Canadian POW's who surrendered during the Normandy invasion at his Headquarters at L’Ancienne Abbaye Ardenne in Normandy, France. He was made a King's Counsel.

Campbell returned to Canada in 1946 and was hired as assistant NHL President and several months later when Red Dutton retired he became President. Definitely a hockey man.

You would have to consider Frank Calder a "hockey man" as well although he never played pro hockey.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...94701&type=Builder&page=bio&list=ByName#photo

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
AGraveOne said:
as far as i could tell, the eighties led to the growth of hockey...ESPN latched onto hockey during that time and new fans were spawned. I think Bettman hopped onto something that was destined to grow.

My problem with Bettman was the way he thought he could easily "fix" the game. The game was freaking great and attractive before he ever got involved...it needed exposure and proper marketing but it didn't need huge changes...

So in his great marketing and business knowledge - FIGHTING was an easy target. Truth is fighting had a ROLE inthe game that was not easily replaced...

It is gone now and the game is good but i liked the days of old much better...

anyway, i don't think he was a true lover of the game...but i do think he is a very good business man.

I saw personally saw over 50 fights this season live or on TV. There were hundreds and hundreds of fights in the NHL this season. Too bad Bettman got rid of fighting in the NHL. :shakehead

KrisKing*

cup2006sensrule said:
I saw personally saw over 50 fights this season live or on TV. There were hundreds and hundreds of fights in the NHL this season. Too bad Bettman got rid of fighting in the NHL. :shakehead

Fighting was down almost 50% during the season. You are lucky to be a senators fan, as they were one of the few teams that would mix it up regularly.

It seems to be up during the playoffs though, which is very surprising. I am loving it though, it's adding some excitement after the penaltyfests of the first week or so were threatening to wreck the playoffs.

KrisKing*

jflory81 said:
Major League Baseball changed the height of the pitching mound in 1969 to increase scoring

They should have decreased the number of fielder's for extra innings. And gone to a home run hitting contest to decide a winner after 10 innings.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Added the DH. Stop trolling because your team is probably out of the playoffs richardsteele.

KrisKing*

PortlandRanger said:
Added the DH. Stop trolling because your team is probably out of the playoffs richardsteele.

Trolling for what? Forgive me for not worshipping at the foot of gary bettman like you do. And don't worry, there are a couple teams left in the playoffs that I like.

People that accuse others of "trolling" just because they go against the almighty wisdom of HFboards really come off looking ignorant.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
richardsteele said:
Trolling for what? Forgive me for not worshipping at the foot of gary bettman like you do. And don't worry, there are a couple teams left in the playoffs that I like.

People that accuse others of "trolling" just because they go against the almighty wisdom of HFboards really come off looking ignorant.

Judging by your latest posts, you really are not a good person to judge ignorance.

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
cup2006sensrule said:
you are a lucky one, i guess...but it still isn't the same. Besides, on average there are less than one fight every two games - that rounds down to none.

Also, the effect of fighting is pretty much gone...it doesn't really affect play as it used to...

puckhead103*

WEEB said:

u must be 12 years old.....because salary began to increase when they introduced salary disclosure around 1990......three years removed from bettman....

puckhead103*

Wetcoaster said:
?????????????

Clarence Campbell was most certainly a "hockey man".

He was a very good hockey player as well as a lacrosse player and excelled at several other sports coupled with his academic achievments which led to his Rhodes Scholarship following his law degree at the University of Alberta.

While in England studying at Oxford (1927-33) he organized hockey and lacrosse games and refereed them. Upon his return to Canada he was an amateur referee with the CAHA while practising law in Edmonton and was considered one of the best. The NHL came calling in 1936 and by the end of the 1936-37 season he was refereeing the Stanley Cup having established himself as a top official.

He left the NHL during the war enlisting as private and finishing as a lieutenant colonel commanding the Fourth Armoured Division being awarded the Order of the British Empire. When the war ended Campbell became a war crimes prosecutor and convicted German SS General Kurt Meyer for the murder of 15 Canadian POW's who surrendered during the Normandy invasion at his Headquarters at L’Ancienne Abbaye Ardenne in Normandy, France. He was made a King's Counsel.

Campbell returned to Canada in 1946 and was hired as assistant NHL President and several months later when Red Dutton retired he became President. Definitely a hockey man.

You would have to consider Frank Calder a "hockey man" as well although he never played pro hockey.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...94701&type=Builder&page=bio&list=ByName#photo
whoope do....

puckhead103*

richardsteele said:
Who's 12 years old?
go read a book like gil stein's power play....or read anything from russ conway....and you'll find your answer..... :confused:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad