Better 1-2 punch for 2022 Olympics

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Had an interesting conversation with some buddies about which country will have a better centre ice 1-2 punch for the 2022 Olympics assuming the NHL decides to go. We focused on young players for the US and Canada. Eichel and Matthews were no brainers for the US and obviously McDavid we penciled in for Canada. The other two centres we were talking about were Monahan and Scheifele with the Winnipeg centre winning out for that two slot. So the question is who would you rather have on your team? McDavid/Scheifele or Matthews/Eichel?

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Matthews/Eichel and Mcdavid/Scheiff would be neck and neck IMO... almost impossible to argue against canada's guys rn but by then it could be a much diff story

ToastedFlower*

Nov 15, 2014
Florida
Had an interesting conversation with some buddies about which country will have a better centre ice 1-2 punch for the 2022 Olympics assuming the NHL decides to go. We focused on young players for the US and Canada. Eichel and Matthews were no brainers for the US and obviously McDavid we penciled in for Canada. The other two centres we were talking about were Monahan and Scheifele with the Winnipeg centre winning out for that two slot. So the question is who would you rather have on your team? McDavid/Scheifele or Matthews/Eichel?

Much of the outcome will be who's playing on the backend and in net. It's to early to tell who the goalies will be. Werenski seems like a lock to make it though as well.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Tough choice

McDavid > Mathews = Eichel > Schief

I just can't bet against McDavid, or Canada for that matter. Gimme Connor and Mark.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think Canada's #2 C would likely be close to Matthews/Eichel calibre. The ~2017-2020 drafts all could produce a stud centre for Canada. Historically we've produced multiple top line/pairing players in most drafts.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Canada's #2 C would likely be close to Matthews/Eichel calibre. The ~2017-2020 drafts all could produce a stud centre for Canada. Historically we've produced multiple top line/pairing players in most drafts.

I doubt it. Eichel and Matthews aren't run-of-the-mill first line talents. Players like the don't come around often.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
As cute as this thread is ask yourself this. How many of the key players have less than 5 years in the league? The answer is a lot of them. So It kind of stands to reason that in 5 years there could be a lot of other new faces so speculation is a bit dubious. Now assuming no new players in the conversation? I call it a wash but Crosby is the wild card. At 34 he could still be better C than all of them but McDavid.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Do people actually think there is no prodigy in Canada better then Mark Scheifele between drafts 2018-2021?

There's one kid with potential coming, and if he turns out, he'll be number two and tip the scales.

Heck Svechnikov could very well be better then both Eichel and Matthews from the 18 draft, there are players that will be superior then those 2 , only McDavid I feel is not going to get pushed out.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Probably the American pair. Difficult to say though, and I'm certainly not convinced that Scheifele will be the second best Canadian centre in 2022. One negative about the NHL likely pulling out of the 2018 Olympics from a Canadian perspective is that the talent gap will be much smaller in 2022. In 2018 the gap is still quite significant, but it probably won't matter at all.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The Americans. McDavid is the best player but Matthews and Eichel aren't too far behind and are better than any second Canadian

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
McDavid and whomever is #2 for Canada. I just think McDavid is a tier above everyone, while whomever happens to be #2 for CAN will probably be at or near the level of Eichel and Matthews. That's not taking anything away from those two fantastic players, but obviously Canada has a pretty deep pool of players to choose from, and their #2 center, whomever that happens to be, is likely it be pretty darn good. ;)
McDavid puts it over the edge for me in favor for that pair, but the US pair is fantastic, and I would be very confident in those two if I were cheering for them. It is fairly close, because I do think highly of Matthews and Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad