Better 1-2 punch for 2022 Olympics

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon is two and a half years younger than Scheifele. Not out of the question to think that he, or somebody else is part of the 1-2 punch with McDavid. Could even still be Sid.

Reactions: bucks_oil

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Americans. McDavid is the best player but Matthews and Eichel aren't too far behind and are better than any second Canadian
So when did Eichel become better then Scheifele, or Benn, or Crosby, Or Mackinnon, or should I continue ?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Mackinnon is two and a half years younger than Scheifele. Not out of the question to think that he, or somebody else is part of the 1-2 punch with McDavid. Could even still be Sid.

Yeah... I sorta agree with this. I see McKinnon as a kid who's stalled in a bad situation but will be a *real* adult by then... he'll have recovered and has more talent to work with than Schiefele or Monahan in my opinion.

(it's not that I'm a big fan... right now I think he's a spoiled brat.... just... things change, people mature)

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
I bet by 2022 there will be some new kid that's emerged. It'll be interesting to look back at this thread in 4 years.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So when did Eichel become better then Scheifele, or Benn, or Crosby, Or Mackinnon, or should I continue ?

Gretzky was better than all of them. But alas age catches up with the best.

Eichel's been better than MacKinnon since he was like 15. But kudos to MacKinnon for having a great start this year.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
In 2022 Crosby will be 34 yrs old if he's on the Olympic team its doubtful he will be a #1 or # 2 center

You're right, elite/generational players never keep it up past 33. Crosby would still be 1C and captain based on reputation alone.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Yeah... I sorta agree with this. I see McKinnon as a kid who's stalled in a bad situation but will be a *real* adult by then... he'll have recovered and has more talent to work with than Schiefele or Monahan in my opinion.

(it's not that I'm a big fan... right now I think he's a spoiled brat.... just... things change, people mature)

I tend to agree. MacKinnon is playing in Denver in relative obscurity. To be honest I also haven't followed him closely.

I saw him this Spring in Cologne for all games (they played the group games in Paris tho). He was an absolute force. Tied for 2nd in the tournament with 15P in 10G (Mark Scheifele had 8P in 10G). My point? > He looks really good with a supporting cast.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Do you believe that will be the case in 5 years?

Matthews might match Scheifele's best season (24 years old) at age 20. He's 0.02 ppg off pace, and he's better defensively.

You’re talking to a Jets fan. Obviously he thinks that Scheifele is better.

The most exciting center prospect in the upcoming years is Jack Hughes, an American. Things can obviously change but right now most of Canada’s high-end draft prospects for 2019-2020 are wingers. If there was another McDavid on the way, we’d know about it. I would not count on Canada developing anyone better than Scheifele/Mackinnon/35 year old Crosby before the 2022 Olympics.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I tend to agree. MacKinnon is playing in Denver in relative obscurity. To be honest I also haven't followed him closely.

I saw him this Spring in Cologne for all games (they played the group games in Paris tho). He was an absolute force. Tied for 2nd in the tournament with 15P in 10G (Mark Scheifele had 8P in 10G). My point? > He looks really good with a supporting cast.

MacKinnon is a good player, with perhaps questionable leadership (he's young, this isn't an attack), playing in a bad situation. Like many of the pre-McDavid Oilers, this is a player struggling with responsibility in a difficult situation. It does not, necessarily, make him less a player than his (slightly older) contemporaries who are playing well in good situations.

I expect him (and RNH for that matter) to re-establish themselves as the elite talent they are, once the stink of losing dissipates and they re-establish their confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad