best young D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hmmm, I'm not sure.
In any case, Weber is not as good as Whitney and Welch and after Weber, Goligoski is still the best prospect left out of the two teams. Fernholm right behind.
Like it or not, the Pens have better depth.

BTW, I checked your poll, and you haven't put the depth charts, so I feel it's absolutely worthless if the voters don't even know the names.

Vic Rattlehead*

triggrman said:
According to Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2005

The top defensive prospects are

1 - Phaneuf
2 - Suter
3 - Barker
4 - Coburn
5 - Johnson
6 - Tyutin
7 - Kronwall
8 - Babchuk
9 - Seabrook
10 - Meszaros
11 - Weber
12 - Belle

Seeing Belle there makes me want to puke.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If I had to mix Nashville and Pittsburgh's depths :
1- Suter
2- Whitney
3- Welch
4- Weber
5- Goligoski
6- Fernholm
7- Klein
8- Nemec
9- Parent
10- Bissonnette

And after that, it's mainly Pittsburgh IMO.
But as I said, it doesn't matter, let's just hop that at least half of our depths pan out and both teams will be happy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm confident in the Sens group.

Andrej Meszaros
Brian Lee
Kirill Lyamin
Vitaly Anikeyenko
Jan Platil
Christoph Schubert (Should play in NHL this year)
Tomas Kudelka
Phillipe Seydoux

I would rank Nashville and Chicago #1 and #2 personally. They both have a few studs and the depth to back it up as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Chicago has the best top end of any team out there really. But their depth isn't as good as Pittsburgh's or Nashville's.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Evilo said:
If I had to mix Nashville and Pittsburgh's depths :
1- Suter
2- Whitney
3- Welch
4- Weber
5- Goligoski
6- Fernholm
7- Klein
8- Nemec
9- Parent
10- Bissonnette

And after that, it's mainly Pittsburgh IMO.
But as I said, it doesn't matter, let's just hop that at least half of our depths pan out and both teams will be happy.

You won't find many that agree with that list. Klein was better in the AHL than Goligoski(remember how disappointing he was in the WJCs? I do. Wasn't even as good as CASEY BORER) was in the NCAA. And Fernholm and Nemec above Parent, who some scouts had as the second best defenseman in one of the best defensive drafts in recent times? Come on, man...you're reaching.

Vic Rattlehead*

What do people think about Boston's? Top 5? Top 10?

Stuart
Lashoff
Alberts
Jurcina
Jonsson
Sigalet
Dallman
Hunwick
Makela

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Til the End of Time said:
Weber is overrated.
Tell me why? His WJC performance or his numbers his last two years in the WHL?

Evilo,
Weber is as good as Whitney and better than Welch, Parent is equal to Welch, your list is way off. Face it you're wrong....

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
nomorekids said:
You won't find many that agree with that list. Klein was better in the AHL than Goligoski(remember how disappointing he was in the WJCs? I do. Wasn't even as good as CASEY BORER) was in the NCAA. And Fernholm and Nemec above Parent, who some scouts had as the second best defenseman in one of the best defensive drafts in recent times? Come on, man...you're reaching.
How did Klein play better than Goligoski???? An injured Goligoski was surely disapointing in the WJC, but he had an outstanding NCAA season, putting 20 points as a rookie and establishing himself as a freshman as Minnesota's top pairing defenseman.
Fernholm and Nemec both are excellent pro players with huge upside.
Nemec was arguably the best scoring defenseman in the WJC two years back, and Fernholm has huge upside (shown by his first rounder value).
I can't see where I'm reaching here.
Parent is a good prospect, and probably a safer bet to make the NHL than the two Pens, but he doesn't have these guys' upside.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'd take Whitney and Welch over Weber. But then I wondered whose whooping wealth of defensive prospects I would want? Well, when weighing my options...Was...err Nashville was the way to go.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Nobody else thinks that Washington has put together a good young group of dmen?

Eminger
Morrison
Schultz
Green
Lepisto
Yonkman
Pokulok
Finley

None of them are elite prospects, but that is a very deep group.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
kasper11 said:
Nobody else thinks that Washington has put together a good young group of dmen?

Eminger
Morrison
Schultz
Green
Lepisto
Yonkman
Pokulok
Finley

None of them are elite prospects, but that is a very deep group.

Yes, I agree. Eminger and Morrisonn are real standouts.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Patty Ice said:
They may not have the star power that a name like Phaneuf carries but I think the Stars have much better depth in their defensive prospect pool. I'd rate them higher than Calgary (although having that potential stud puts them up there).

San Jose lacks big names in their pool but it is a solid group with Christian Ehrhoff and Matt Carle leading the way. Both have an outside shot at top 4 potential. Ask any Clevo fan or Rockets fan about how reliable Josh Gorge is. Doug Murray is another good defensive dman in Cleveland. And Michael Vernace rounds out the group as a surprise 7th rounder in 2004 with some good offensive potential.

Whenever the Sharks appear to have some vacant positions to fill on the blueline, they simply call up one of their youngsters who few have really heard of. Youngster goes on contributing instantly, makes a name for himself and the Sharks have another gem.

I mean we've already seen Davison, Fahey, Preissing and Ehrhoff all play for the Sharks just last season. The Sharks know how to draft, but more noticeably, develop defensemen.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It is funny how noone has mentioned the Blues.

W/ Jackman and Backman already in the NHL and Walker looking to get fully established, we have

Woywika (AHL w/ a shot at that 7 spot)
Lynch (AhL w/ a shot at the 7)

Wideman (1 more year in the AHL)
McKenzie (looks to be a 6, but will play in the AHL unless injury call up)

Fitzgerald (Starting in the AHL this year - 2 years away)

Polak (Headed back the CR, Still a couple of years away from the AHL)
Nikitin (Played in the RSL last year, still needs a couple of years - may be hard to get out of Russia)

Jackson (2 years in JR left)

Lots of depth at D, but no Elite tallent, unless you count BJ or CB - but both need to prove themselves this year.

NYC Aim 4588

I cant beleiev basically thelast 21/2- 3 pages of the 4 have been arguing about which prospect is better, damn that is sad. Why do you people care so much its like back and forth with everyone siding with there teams prospects. :dunno: Some times I wonder about people on these boards.

Weber is better than Welch no he is not but suter is better than Whitmey but but whitney is better than weberso that makes suter better than welch but where does that leave parent, who cares all i kno is suter is better than welch, and weber, dont forget klein but whitney is better than klein parent and weber but not suter.

What the hell is going on. This is what it looks like reading posts. Damn....

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
SensGuy said:
I'm confident in the Sens group.

Andrej Meszaros
Brian Lee
Kirill Lyamin
Vitaly Anikeyenko
Jan Platil
Christoph Schubert (Should play in NHL this year)
Tomas Kudelka
Phillipe Seydoux

I would rank Nashville and Chicago #1 and #2 personally. They both have a few studs and the depth to back it up as well.

Yep. We don't have the best bunch but we're up there. Top half of the league definatly IMO, quite possibly top 10, which is very good for such a competitive team. Not to mention we already have guys like Chara, Phillips, de Vries, and Redden for more veteran presences.

I don't know if you're going strictly by prospects, but Volchenkov is certainly young. Some of the buzz wore off when he was injured all season but his AHL campaigne was stellar and I think he's ready to break out. The A-Train is the best of the bunch IMO as far as our young d-men go, unless he's disqualified for being on the NHL roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad