best young D

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'm sure this was discussed at some point, but what organizations have the best young defensemen prospects? i know chicago and nashville are up there, but who else?

also, of those organizations, which ones are lacking in good forward prospects?

NYC Aim 4588

I dont know much about any one else other than Nash and Chicago, with Chicago actually having a great bunch of prospects, but as a NYR fan even though there is no #1 D-Man I think guys like ...

F.Tyutin
M.Staal
Sauer
I.Baranka
J.Taylor
D.Liffiton
T.Pock
Kondratiev
N.Guenin
Furrer

And out of this group I expect Tyutin,Sauer,Staal, to be definitly in the NYR lineup in the future, Baranka/Taylor/Liffiton to be regulars in NYR's line up alsofor along time, but most likely 1 or 2 of the three. There are not many teams that have a complete d-pairing of home grown guys< I would expect NYR for the future to have something like the first three mentioned maybe a 4th and a couple tradded/F'A signed vets or just players there., as for the rest could make it but could also be good trade bait if they develop properly.

....are just as well a bunch of solid D prospects, not like Nash or Chi, especially Chicage but not far off ,if that was to be lets say the 8 NYR went with I think they could compete with any one basically and thats not just cause Im a NYR fan. Im sure others will think other wise. right now NYR is looking to be just as solid on defense for the future as many teams if not better but do lack in top flight offensive players, some very good second liners, but no Crosby,Ovechkin,Kovalchuk,Heatley type playersto look foward to. Hopefully they ( NYR ) get a #1 overall to #6 overall in this years draft so they can get that #1 Fowrad they are lacking if not even a top 10 in the first round could help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
probably not the best, but pittsburgh is up there with prospects such as ryan whitney, noah welch, and alex goligoski.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
NYC Aim 4588 said:
I dont know much about any one else other than Nash and Chicago, with Chicago actually having a great bunch of prospects, but as a NYR fan even though there is no #1 D-Man I think guys like ...

F.Tyutin
M.Staal
M.Kondratiev
I.Baranka
J.Taylor
D.Liffiton
T.Pock
N.Guenin
There is one Euro D prospect cant remeber his name starts with an F, anyway.

....are just as well a bunch of solid D prospects, not like Nash or Chi, especially Chicage but not far off ,if that was to be lets say the 8 NYR went with I think they could compete with any one basically and thats not just cause Im a NYR fan. Im sure others will think other wise. right now NYR is looking to be just as solid on defense for the future as many teams if not better but do lack in top flight offensive players, some very good second liners, but no Crosby,Ovechkin,Kovalchuk,Heatley type playersto look foward to. Hopefully they ( NYR ) get a #1 overall to #6 overall in this years draft so they can get that #1 Fowrad they are lacking if not even a top 10 in the first round could help.

Also don't forget Sauer, hes got top 4 potential written on him.

Is Furrer the one you couldnt think of?

But yea..id definitely put the Rangers in the top 5 is terms of defensive prospects. But our offensive prospects won't be making any top 10 lists.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Jack Johnson
Jakub Vojta
Danny Richmond
Nathan Hagemo
Casey Borer
Risto Korhonen
Brett Carson

In my opinion, that's pretty solid. It's not up to par with Nashville's though.

Vic Rattlehead*

Nugs, I'm shocked you didn't mention Boston.

Stuart
Lashoff
Alberts
Jurcina
Jonsson
Sigalet
Dallman
Hunwick

Pretty good if you ask me, but Chicago and Nashivlle do have better d-corps.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like what the Oilers have even minus Woywitka and Lynch...

Greene "recently signed physical defensive d-man"
Tesliuk "good shot, solid defensively"
Syvret "should have a solid pro rookie season"
Matthieu Roy "made big strides at the AHL level last season"
Chorney "smallish, but sounds to have had a solid camp for the US"
Tom Gilbert "2-way d-man who may have a pro future"
Bryan Young " 6'1" 200lb wrecking ball in the OHL"

Not too shabby, but as far as who's the best??? Any team that has Shea Weber as their 2nd best defensive prospect gets my vote!!!

EDIT-if you're including young guys in the NHL as well, 6"6" Alexei Semenov and offensive geared 5'10" Marc Andre Bergeron round out the Oilers young d-core.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'd have to go with Nashville, Calgary is sitting like this....

Phaneuf
Ramholt
Pelech
Baldwin
Regehr

Not as much depth as Nashville, but it will be interesting battle for years to come I think, both teams have a nice young defense.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nashville has an awesome young defense. Stanley Cup calibre if they can be kept together

Canucks have some interesting youngster

Bieska - all Rookie team in AHL
Skinner - All-Star in the NCAA
Kolstov - very skilled young Russian defenseman
Bourdon - lock for Canadian Junior National Team
McIver - OHL all star
Mojsis - good year in the AHL, former first team WHL all-star

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
orcatown said:
Nashville has an awesome young defense. Stanley Cup calibre if they can be kept together

Canucks have some interesting youngster

Bieska - all Rookie team in AHL
Skinner - All-Star in the NCAA
Kolstov - very skilled young Russian defenseman
Bourdon - lock for Canadian Junior National Team
McIver - OHL all star
Mojsis - good year in the AHL, former first team WHL all-star

Pretty hard to call ANY group of young players "stanely cup" caliber when the majority of them haven't touched the NHL nor are star players. That is a very big statement to make.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I'm very excited about the Stars young prospects on the blueline.. By no means the best, that one belongs to the obvious (Chicago, Nashville, Calgary, St.Louis), but the Stars might have as much as 6 prospects with top 4 potential, not one is a lock to become a top pairing defensemen though, but it could happen..

- Trevor Daley
- Mark Fistric
- Matt Niskanen
- Niclas Grossman
- Johan Fransson
- Matt Nickerson
- Shawn Belle
- Mario Scalzo

AG9NK35DT8*

kruezer said:
I'd have to go with Nashville, Calgary is sitting like this....

Phaneuf
Ramholt
Pelech
Baldwin
Regehr

Not as much depth as Nashville, but it will be interesting battle for years to come I think, both teams have a nice young defense.
Since when is Regehr still a prospect ?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I was thinking about this yesterday.

If you took out Suter and Weber, where would our defense rank with Parent, Klien, Laakso, Muckhachev, Kulyash, Sulzer and Niskala.

I know it wouldn't be tops, but would it still be top 10?

NYC Aim 4588

FLYLine88 said:
Also don't forget Sauer, hes got top 4 potential written on him.

Is Furrer the one you couldnt think of?

But yea..id definitely put the Rangers in the top 5 is terms of defensive prospects. But our offensive prospects won't be making any top 10 lists.
Yes Furrer is it and I Did foget Sauer, he does have top 4 potential, he would have been a 1st rounder if not for that injury, he could be a major steal, lets hope.

Thanks for the help Flyline

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the rangers have a really solid group of guys, but they could certainly use a real blue chip prospect back there...in my mind that's what keeps them from being right up at the top, but i still think they'd be top 5

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
triggrman said:
I was thinking about this yesterday.

If you took out Suter and Weber, where would our defense rank with Parent, Klien, Laakso, Muckhachev, Kulyash, Sulzer and Niskala.

I know it wouldn't be tops, but would it still be top 10?

if boston were to offer brad boyes to nashville, what kind of young Dman could they potentially get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad