Best Player Post-Mario

Who is the best hockey player, Post Mario Lemieux?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Mario. Best of all time at the forward position.

In their prime I would pick Mario over anyone.

Runners up - Wayne and Sid.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
McDavid is simply so dominant. Even with some projection, he is my #1. What he can do at high speeds with the puck is incredible. Crosby isn't close. Ovechkin is closer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mario. Best of all time at the forward position.

In their prime I would pick Mario over anyone.

Runners up - Wayne and Sid.
5zqb0c.jpg

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Out of curiosity, are you referring to the research I did on this from two years ago? (If you're referring to the research done by someone else, I'd be curious in seeing the method & results).
Sorry for the delayed response- the back end of the Holidays hit, then I encountered another "unscheduled event." Yup- it was your work that I was noting here. I feel a little sheepish that it took me that long to find it.
How Jagr gets such little love...
I got nothing but love for my Jagee- and he'd be my answer if it weren't for Lidstrom.
I've added more names. You can change your vote, if you wish
All right, then.

Might not be the best place for this- but I've had this rant building up inside me for some time- and here seems no worse a place than anywhere else to let it rip- Alpha LD has to be absolutely the most underappreciated position in Hockey, if not in all of Team Sports. If you have an upper-Division Hall-of-Fame Alpha LD (while making sure you don't bottle the other aspects of team-building), particularly from the 1950s onward, you have a shot at a dynasty, or (at the very least) a "regnum*." [*my term for 3+-time Cup-winner, but not in sufficient succession to really merit the term "dynasty."]

Let's go through it-
early 50s Red Wings: Red Kelly
mid-50s Canadiens: Doug Harvey (well, he was bilateral... but point remains)
early 60s Maple Leafs: Tim Horton
late-70s Canadiens: Serge Savard (mated to Larry Robinson, granted- but Robinson would later have an LD turn for the 85-86 Cup winners)
early 80s Islanders: Denis Potvin

The Red Army: Slava Fetisov
Detroit late 90s & on: Nicklas Lidstrom
New Jersey (fl. early 2000s) Scott Stevens
Chicago early 2010s & on: Duncan Keith
IF Tampa Bay isn't done, we can add... Victor Hedman

This begs the question- in post 1950 hockey, can one have a "regnum" or dynasty without such a player? Sure- but it's not likely. You can get there if you have-
Gretzky+Messier
Crosby+Malkin

In other words, two top-20 All-Time Centers playing on the same team at the same time will also serve. If you want to achieve, long term, ignore Alpha-LD at your peril.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Ovechkin/Crosby, choice is yours but I personally take Crosby. McDavid has the potential to pass both.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I picked Ovy. You can argue Crosby and McDavid depending on what best means (peak, prime, potential, longevity, durability), but Ovy is certainly the most individually accomplished of the bunch.

Jagr is of course in the mix if you look at his whole career but much of it isn’t post Lemieux.

Also I wouldn’t consider Roy and Hasek post Lemieux at all regardless of poll specifications. Roy was in the same draft (actually born on the exact same day - the hockey gods must have partying in Quebec 9.5 months earlier) and even retired before Lemieux. While Hasek was drafted a year before them.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
McDavid having more votes than Ovechkin is frankly disrespectful. Connor has no business having more votes than Ovie for the time being.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
McDavid is simply so dominant. Even with some projection, he is my #1. What he can do at high speeds with the puck is incredible. Crosby isn't close. Ovechkin is closer.
McDavid has accomplished nothing to deserve that kind of praise. Crosby has played at a higher pace, in a lower scoring era, while matching that dominance in the playoffs and leading his team to success. Hell, a 36 year old OV is keeping pace with McDavid right now.

People are putting WAY too much stock into last year's wacky season. McDavid has, in no way, distanced himself from Sid and OV. If we're talking career-value, McDavid shouldn't even be in the conversation yet.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
McDavid has accomplished nothing to deserve that kind of praise. Crosby has played at a higher pace, in a lower scoring era, while matching that dominance in the playoffs and leading his team to success. Hell, a 36 year old OV is keeping pace with McDavid right now.

People are putting WAY too much stock into last year's wacky season. McDavid has, in no way, distanced himself from Sid and OV. If we're talking career-value, McDavid shouldn't even be in the conversation yet.
Mcdavid has also won 0 championships on any of his teams.

Crosby won the qmjhl championship while being playoff mvp.
Stanley cup twice while being mvp
World cup of hockey while being mvp.
Crosby is the time of play that leads teams to championships. The brady of the nhl

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Why is this absolute trainwreck of a poll not removed yet? Starting it with 3 players, none of which being the correct answer.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Why is this absolute trainwreck of a poll not removed yet? Starting it with 3 players, none of which being the correct answer.
Agreed. It runs from 12/23 - 4/2? Idk if he's post-Mario, but it's the best goalie ever and the 7th best player ever Roy easily.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Mcdavid has also won 0 championships on any of his teams.

Crosby won the qmjhl championship while being playoff mvp.
Stanley cup twice while being mvp
World cup of hockey while being mvp.
Crosby is the time of play that leads teams to championships. The brady of the nhl
McDavid has never won a championship other than with Team Canada as far back as I can see on elite prospects to age 14.

As far as I can tell, Crosby has won at least one championship with every single different team he's played on since he was 9 years old.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed. It runs from 12/23 - 4/2? Idk if he's post-Mario, but it's the best goalie ever and the 7th best player ever Roy easily.

Patrick Roy and Mario Lemieux are literally born on the same day - so I wouldn't consider Roy post-Lemieux. I think Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin and Malkin are the only players that truly qualify as 'post-Lemieux'.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Patrick Roy and Mario Lemieux are literally born on the same day - so I wouldn't consider Roy post-Lemieux. I think Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin and Malkin are the only players that truly qualify as 'post-Lemieux'.

Then technically Hasek wouldn’t be either.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Personally, if I had a cristal ball and all of them would be in the same draft I would take Crosby first overall. But you definately cannot go wrong with Ovie or some others on the list.

Kenneth C Russell

Feb 23, 2022
No question it's McDavid. No disrespect to other great players but he can fill up the whole stat sheet like nobody else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad