Best Player Post-Mario

Who is the best hockey player, Post Mario Lemieux?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
OV. 7 more individual awards than Crosby and will leave a legacy with the most goal scoring titles ever and the most goals ever. Crosby at the end of the day legacy wise isn't much different than guys like Sakic and Yzerman: good captain, won some individual awards and had team success. Nothing special about his individual trophy cabinet or accomplishments in comparison to the all time greats. McDavid is too early to rank 1st but he is on track to rival OV.

awards21.jpg

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
OV. 7 more individual awards than Crosby and will leave a legacy with the most goal scoring titles ever and the most goals ever. Crosby at the end of the day legacy wise isn't much different than guys like Sakic and Yzerman: good captain, won some individual awards and had team success. Nothing special about his individual trophy cabinet or accomplishments in comparison to the all time greats. McDavid is too early to rank 1st but he is on track to rival OV.

View attachment 493133

Things look different if you remove Rocket wins or if you add a trophy for most assists in a season.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
If my aunt had stones she'd be my uncle. I don't really care about what ifs.
We could look at advance stats, if you want.
This shows total impact on a team above replacement (pressbox guy) from 2007-2022. Pavelski is 5th because of longevity (Crosby and Ovi started in the same season. Ovi has played 200 more games than Sidney and therefore should have had a larger impact on his team, but hasn't). Per season, would show different results.

Awards don't show defensive impact (except the selke, which the voters usually get wrong).

upload_2021-12-23_15-9-55.png

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Things look different if you remove Rocket wins or if you add a trophy for most assists in a season.

Effectively the Art Ross is the most assist trophy. Ovechkin is not the best player if you believe that an assist and a goal are of equal value and equal difficulty. They are not. Not remotely. This would be the reason there is a trophy for the most goals and not one for the most assists.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Crosby. Not even debatable
A decade removed from both of their respective careers Ovechkin will be remembered as the superior player and the trophy case will support that. All time I have Crosby ahead of him one slot now but if Ovi wins another Hart this year and another Rocket along with eventually breaking the all time goals record how are you putting Crosby ahead?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad