Best fighter in the NHL currently?

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
And sesito is a very capable fighter he can beat anyone on any given day but usually gets beat by toughguys. He also has a bunch of loses he shouldn't.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's also the thing... they're not the same size. Rinaldo fought people much bigger than him and did a really good job doing so. The one fighter he could not do well against was Prust (I think that's who it was- guy was on NYR, MTL, And so on).
Guys who fought and were around his size are Tootoo, Dorsett, Carcillo, Cooke-- most of them are bigger besides Tootoo and he rearely lost against them who are his size. Again, he beat a lot of people bigger than him too. He won more than he lost. I have to disagree with your opinion. He's either a you love him or you hate him type player.

48-45-27 is Rinaldo's record according to DYG, so yeah, you're right he did win more than he lost, however his last few NHL seasons he definitely didn't. I for one actually liked Rinaldo and i wish he got more of a chance on the Bruins 4th line. I'd rather watch a guy like Rinaldo railroading guys than dull, do nothing 4th liners collecting league minimum.

I would pick a guy like Stan Jonathan as one of the best pound for pound fighters in history. That guy was frightening.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
Reaves may be a better pound for pound fighter, but I think sestito may win a Reaves v Sestito fight.
Best pound for pound fighter in Hockey ever is tie domi, from this era- Zac Rinaldo.

The problem with bruins fighters besides Kevin Miller (did VGK take him?) is that once they take a punch, they're already shaken up. Same thing with hitting them. If there's a big hit, the whole team overreacts.

You may have me with Reaves. I still think that Sestito could be him. For that fight it would be whoever could last longer.

Although not in NHL, best pound for pound fighter is without a doubt Al Gallant who just signed with Tampa. Many current and former heavyweights have loads of respect for him.
6'0", 185

SPHL record: 12-0-10
ECHL record: 7-1-5
AHL record: 17-3-1

Also beat Dorsett in preseason last year with the Sharks in a solid fight.

Has beaten guys like McGrattan, Gogol, Bickel, almost always fights out of his weight class.

He and Brett, IMO, are the two best Pound for pound fighters of today's era, but with all this said I am from PEI, and do have bias.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Gazdic plays at all in the NHL, he's easily the best fighter in the league. He will beat anyone. He's the one guy that Reaves won't even fight.

The Gallants are very impressive though too, but not in the NHL.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Although not in NHL, best pound for pound fighter is without a doubt Al Gallant who just signed with Tampa. Many current and former heavyweights have loads of respect for him.
6'0", 185

SPHL record: 12-0-10
ECHL record: 7-1-5
AHL record: 17-3-1

Also beat Dorsett in preseason last year with the Sharks in a solid fight.

Has beaten guys like McGrattan, Gogol, Bickel, almost always fights out of his weight class.

He and Brett, IMO, are the two best Pound for pound fighters of today's era, but with all this said I am from PEI, and do have bias.

I looked up Brett Gallant and damn. He apparently has 148 PM in 9 games! How do you do that? He spent more time in the box than with his team. Nothing about Al Gallant comes up when I tried to search for him. Don't know much about these people but that Brett Gallant is impressive.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
If Anthony Peluso makes the squad out of camp - it is him. Same sentiment is relevant with Gazdic.

1A: Peluso
1B: Gazdic
1C: Reaves

For the first time in years, I am excited that Pittsburgh has a legitimate heavyweight. Here is hoping that Reaves does not remain dubious when it comes to fighting a super-heavyweight that is Peluso. Dude has a reputation for picking his spots. Avoided Gazdic on multiple occasions as well. Nevertheless, I am glad to have infamous presence in the line-up. With Sestito, Garrett Wilson, Tinordi, and McGrath (AHL contract) in the system; belligerence is of the abundance (in today's generation). Hell, even Aston-Reese looked to be rather competent with the gloves off.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If Anthony Peluso makes the squad out of camp - it is him. Same sentiment is relevant with Gazdic.

1A: Peluso
1B: Gazdic
1C: Reaves

For the first time in years, I am excited that Pittsburgh has a legitimate heavyweight. Here is hoping that Reaves does not remain dubious when it comes to fighting a super-heavyweight that is Peluso. Dude has a reputation for picking his spots. Avoided Gazdic on multiple occasions as well. Nevertheless, I am glad to have infamous presence in the line-up. With Sestito, Garrett Wilson, Tinordi, and McGrath (AHL contract) in the system; belligerence is of the abundance (in today's generation). Hell, even Aston-Reese looked to be rather competent with the gloves off.

This is also my top 3 if all are fairly regular NHLers.

I'll round out my list with...

Milan Lucic
Deryk Engelland
Brandon Mashinter
Michael Haley
Chris Neil
Adam McQuaid
Tom Sestito

HM: Jared Boll

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If Gazdic plays at all in the NHL, he's easily the best fighter in the league. He will beat anyone. He's the one guy that Reaves won't even fight.

The Gallants are very impressive though too, but not in the NHL.

Reaves is an NHLer, and Gazdic is who? Why would Reaves fight a useless scrub?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Reaves is an NHLer, and Gazdic is who? Why would Reaves fight a useless scrub?
Ha, are you serious? Reaves is a 4th liner, don't act like he's too good to fight Gazdic.

He's fought every other heavyweight but he avoids Gazdic like the plague... because he knows he would lose.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That is Reaves biggest knock, his spot picking to a degree.

I wish Tyler Randell got more of a chance with the Bruins. Guy had a heavy shot on the 4th line and could scrap, and scrap well. He was a bit undersized at 6'1, 198 but went with Reaves and McIlrath.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He can skate and hit. Watch soccer if u don't like guys that fight.
That wasn't his point.

Reaves isn't that good at hockey. Blues fans have gone overboard with the "this guy can actually play!" stuff. 13 points in a full season is his career high. He's not skilled the least bit.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He can skate and hit. Watch soccer if u don't like guys that fight.

So can Mike Brown. Doesn't mean he can play hockey well.

The point you so obviously avoided was the fact that poster discredited Gazdic while pumping up Reaves, which is silly since they're cut from the exact same cloth.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gazdic doesn't skate at a NHL level but may have the best right hand in all of hockey. There are a lot of guys that IMO are in a similar tier as fighters: Reaves, Lucic, Gazdic, Engelland, etc. Then you have complete bad ***** like Iginla and McQuaid that aren't as heavy but can straight up throw down.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Byfuglien would destroy anyone in the NHL without even trying. He does not fight often, and that is only because he is universally feared.

Pound-for-pound, the best fighter in Jordin Tootoo. Tootoo destroyed Iginla a few years back.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The 2006 and 2007 Erie Otters squad had Mike Liambas, Luke Gazdic and Anthony Peluso all on the roster. We have had season tickets for 16 years, and if you loved fighting, Erie was the place to be. Mike was the light weight, Gazdic the middle weight, and Peluso the heavy weight. The motto was "if you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up." We didn't win too many games, but we won nearly all of the fights. I am sure that Erie was one team that no one wanted to play.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Rinaldo has been mentioned as a tough nut. I talked to Mike Liambas about an incident in the OHL some 10 years ago. Rinaldo was running around one night while playing for the London Knights. Liambas went after him, and Rinaldo wouldn't fight. I have zero respect for Rinaldo. He preys on the unsuspecting, and he would get his ass whipped by most all of the above mentioned fighters.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Byfuglien would destroy anyone in the NHL without even trying. He does not fight often, and that is only because he is universally feared.

Pound-for-pound, the best fighter in Jordin Tootoo. Tootoo destroyed Iginla a few years back.

Byfuglien isn't a good fighter. He's a big boy that doesn't really do much other than wrestle you around a bit. Hell, Matt Martin beat him this past season.

Haley beats Tootoo 9 times out of 10 as well.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Byfuglien isn't a good fighter. He's a big boy that doesn't really do much other than wrestle you around a bit. Hell, Matt Martin beat him this past season.

Haley beats Tootoo 9 times out of 10 as well.

That Martin fight was a draw. Buff is the Bear that you do not want to awake.

Tootoo is a fighting machine.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That Martin fight was a draw. Buff is the Bear that you do not want to awake.

Tootoo is a fighting machine.

When has Buff really fought though? He's a bearhug machine if anything.

Tootoo isn't that good of a fighter. He's tough as nails, but won't really engage the bigger guys a lot. He's no PJ Stock, that's for sure. I like Tootoo though. He's a buddy of mine, actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad