Best fighter in the NHL currently?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Probably Milan Lucic for my money. Teams don't carry players that just fight now. Milan is probably the best player/fighter in the NHL now.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm biased, but I've always been impressed with Chris Neil. He's never been big enough to be a true heavyweight, but he's always held his own against whoever he matches up against. Goes to show what technique and balance can do for you.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm biased, but I've always been impressed with Chris Neil. He's never been big enough to be a true heavyweight, but he's always held his own against whoever he matches up against. Goes to show what technique and balance can do for you.

Shawn Thornton was similar to Neil, same with Boulton too. Always enjoyed those guys.

Neil has a cement head too, which allowed him to take some damage.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

Has been around since 01 and dropping the mitts ever since.

Has done ok against Gazdic with both bouts being pretty even, Reaves beat him in reach but it came down to wrestling in the end, did quite well against sesito, had some epic bouts with domi, went against chara etc etc etc. The only guy he has had trouble with is Lucic. His fight card is amazing and since he is still technically active as he hasn't retired he would easily be a top 10 for me.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/16

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I wanted Neil on the Bruins a few years ago. Wouldn't mind him on the 4th line this year helping guys like Acciari and Kuraly. That guy has always had peoples back... something the Bruins have been lacking since Thornton/Lucic departures.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
best for me is chara, worst is TJ Brown always fights and then gets dropped :laugh::laugh:

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
remember when lucic smacked neil in the testicles with his stick and then made him bleed all over the place by punching him in the head really hard over and over

Section ThirtyOne

Feb 19, 2009
Kitchener-Waterloo
While most would look at the Sens and immediately think of Chris Neil, i'd throw Mark Borowiecki's name out there. He is one tough customer and can hang with the big guys. A lefty too, which has caught people off guard on more than one occasion.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
While most would look at the Sens and immediately think of Chris Neil, i'd throw Mark Borowiecki's name out there. He is one tough customer and can hang with the big guys. A lefty too, which has caught people off guard on more than one occasion.

He throws two week punches and then ties up or bails. I appreciate his physical play and willingness to fight I'll never be against a guy standing up for himself and fighting. But he's not really good at it.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
eh I'm OK with that. 90% of those fights were staged. I like fights where it's part of the game.

There is no such thing as a staged fight I hate that term. A fight happens for revenge, protection, momentum or to earn a spot or keep your spot. Just because two guys go to square off and mutually agree to drop the buckets doesn't mean staged. They need to get rid of the instigator and bring fighting back once they settle the lawsuit. The game is lacking passion and excitement it use to have. The sport won't grow if they eliminate fighting it will just fall further behind the other major sports and sports like mma and soccer

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
There is no such thing as a staged fight I hate that term. A fight happens for revenge, protection, momentum or to earn a spot or keep your spot. Just because two guys go to square off and mutually agree to drop the buckets doesn't mean staged. They need to get rid of the instigator and bring fighting back once they settle the lawsuit. The game is lacking passion and excitement it use to have. The sport won't grow if they eliminate fighting it will just fall further behind the other major sports and sports like mma and soccer

I think he's referring to the old days when two goons would be put on the ice for the sole reason to drop the gloves, with nothing to do with the hockey game. Ive seen it happen at the puck drop even.
Staged fights are like the old Domi vs Probert battles etc.

However with that being said I would rather watch a good fight than Nazim Kadri blind side or Marchand can opener someone only to skate away behind 4 players and act tough. Sure the heavies are gone, but they have been replaced by a bunch of dirty twigs.

An yes, the toughness and the excitement that brings is gone from the sport. Its all about cheap shots and beaking off after the whistle in a scrum. Fight or .... off.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
Probably Milan Lucic for my money. Teams don't carry players that just fight now. Milan is probably the best player/fighter in the NHL now.

He's tough as hell but doesn't fight a lot at all anymore.. He fought 6 times all year...3 times the year before that. But Im pretty sure he's won a majority of them.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
He's tough as hell but doesn't fight a lot at all anymore.. He fought 6 times all year...3 times the year before that. But Im pretty sure he's won a majority of them.

Lucic doesn't have to fight much these days. due to his reputation perhaps, i noticed not many players will even engage the guy anymore.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Best fighter... while in the NHL is Tom Sestito.

Best player/fighter- Simmonds/Lucic

Worst- Steve Ott/Brandon Manning/JT Brown/Bobby Farnham

Gintonicplz

Jul 23, 2017
Czech republic
Damn, while reading this thread I realized once again how much I miss Derek Boogard...

Anyways, as a Bruins fan I would go with Looch and Shawn Thornton aswell. Gregory Campbell as a 4th line center back in 2010-11 also managed to stand up and do well in some of his fights!

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Best fighter... while in the NHL is Tom Sestito.

Best player/fighter- Simmonds/Lucic

Worst- Steve Ott/Brandon Manning/JT Brown/Bobby Farnham

Reave's is a much better fighter than Sestito, so is Lucic. I would also be willing to bet McQuaid would work him over as well. McQuaid literally destroyed people this past year.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Reave's is a much better fighter than Sestito, so is Lucic. I would also be willing to bet McQuaid would work him over as well. McQuaid literally destroyed people this past year.

Reaves may be a better pound for pound fighter, but I think sestito may win a Reaves v Sestito fight.
Best pound for pound fighter in Hockey ever is tie domi, from this era- Zac Rinaldo.

The problem with bruins fighters besides Kevin Miller (did VGK take him?) is that once they take a punch, they're already shaken up. Same thing with hitting them. If there's a big hit, the whole team overreacts.

You may have me with Reaves. I still think that Sestito could be him. For that fight it would be whoever could last longer.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I also disagree with Rinaldo being the best pound for pound fighter too. P4P is often debated around here, the way I look at pound for pound is if every fighter in the NHL were the same size who would win? Say they were all 6'1'', 210, who has the best style. I would pick a guy like Luke Gazdic, Brian McGrattan, Anthony Peluso over a guy like Rinaldo. Rinaldo lost more than he won.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I also disagree with Rinaldo being the best pound for pound fighter too. P4P is often debated around here, the way I look at pound for pound is if every fighter in the NHL were the same size who would win? Say they were all 6'1'', 210, who has the best style. I would pick a guy like Luke Gazdic, Brian McGrattan, Anthony Peluso over a guy like Rinaldo. Rinaldo lost more than he won.

That's also the thing... they're not the same size. Rinaldo fought people much bigger than him and did a really good job doing so. The one fighter he could not do well against was Prust (I think that's who it was- guy was on NYR, MTL, And so on).
Guys who fought and were around his size are Tootoo, Dorsett, Carcillo, Cooke-- most of them are bigger besides Tootoo and he rearely lost against them who are his size. Again, he beat a lot of people bigger than him too. He won more than he lost. I have to disagree with your opinion. He's either a you love him or you hate him type player.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I love rinaldo but I wouldn't say p4p. And tie domi isn't the greatest of all time. He might not be in the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad